Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
There's a black plug on the timing cover, pop it out, there's a 14mm bolt for the tensioner.

Should be able to get a ratchet on it, although it is a bit tricky. It's also torqued fairly high, around 45 ft lbs.

If you have the wrong timing cover for that block, there may not be access through that hole.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Also it helps to pop the alternator belt off the alt pulley, gives your ratchet more clearance trying to get it on the tensioner bolt.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
I'd say you're going to have to take the cover off anyway to cut the hole, so just match it up to the tensioner bolt on the block as best as you can, then start cutting.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Loosen the belt tensioner with a 14mm, rotate the crank counterclockwise at least two complete rotations, tighten the tensioner. DONE!

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
make sure you keep tension on the crankshaft to where the tensioner is taking up the slack and not simply being pushed back by the pressure in the chamber, you will understand what i mean when you go to do it.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pressing down on the arm just makes it more loose.
I also tried pressing down on the tensioner direct.
I had a look at the spring it has zero tension on it. Does that mean its fully maxed out or not at all engaged. I assume the turn the engine over 3 times will work if the spring had some tension on it.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
this is how you tension the timing belt

set everything to TDC.

make sure the tensioner 14mm bolt is at least one half of a turn loose so it doesnt bind.

rotate the crank counter clock wise until the cam gear and belt moves 3 teeth

tighten the tensioner bolt to 35ftlb

rotate to make sure its still in time and you are done.

its all in the factory service manual

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Myself and cynide looked up the service manuall first this is what we do before asking anything on here. And this belt was working fine before we change to the adjustable cam pulley. Im not going to pull that stupid cover off to install a new belt.

Cynide you tried to hammer down on the arm. That was loosening it.

Anyway its fixed now. This is what I did
a. Follow the service manual. This made sure that the belt was tight on the side facing the bumper but it still has a lot of slack on the side facing the firewall.
b. To fix this what we did was took a steel rod bend the end hooked it from uder the arm you where trying to push down but instead pulled it up.

This fixed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts