Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
DirtyDSeriesWoot had a zex cam wear out on his RLZ ported head so a 1200 head in the trash. There have been a few others that have had them wear out on them as well if you search around, but alot of people have not as well

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
No one said the cam wore out. Just the head from the huge cam and the angles the rocker arms are working with.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
no bone, a few people have had the journals wear pretty good with the zex cams, not the componets

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
no bone, a few people have had the journals wear pretty good with the zex cams, not the componets
Do you mean the journals or the lobes. It is not that unusual to have lobes wear out with really agressive cams, but it is very unusual for journals or cam bores in the head to wear. You could repair the bores by cutting and shutting the caps then reboring. It would put the cam a it closer to the crank and change the rocker geometry abit, probably for the better if the cam was a regrind with a small base circle if the rockers work how I think they do.

If the lobes wear excessivly quick for the performance level they give, the heat treatment or surface finish or treatment may be poor.

I don't know how it works with Honda cams and followers, but with normal pushrod and flat tappet engines, the followers and lobes wear into each other and should not be moved to separate the matched pair unless they are resurfaced.

I know with one SBC road racing campaign we were on, we selected cams on race length. Longer races required less agressive cams, but shorter races we were able to run more agressive cams and make more power and a wider power band.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes i mean the actuall journals. there have been a few people that have had the actuall journals go on their head using the cam.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yeah i had problems with my zex cam. but this was with 30k on the motor. it was summer time and i was really bored so i took off my cam caps and what not and found out that my cam had small pieces of metal breaking off the lobes. unfortunitly im still running the cam. its been about a good 10k since ive checked it last. still no problems but im pretty sure its losing power slowly. i also use to run a crower3. that piece of crap. broke into two pieces after 10k from my first rebuild.. let us know how it goes after time. wondering if the cam has a warranty?? its been over a year.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Danz
I think you mean iron unless this motor has roller followers. Steel cams are normally only used with roller followers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts