Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i have an oil leaking problem. when i bought my car it had a pretty bad oil leak. i replaced the vtec solenoid gaskets, the valve cover gasket, and the distributor o-ring and it still seems to be leaking a little oil. the only other thing i can think of is the cam seal. the oil seems to be mainly built up around the bottom of the dizzy. i was wondering how hard it is to change a cam seal. ive never done it before. do i have to take the cam out or what? thanks guys.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
It's easiest to change the cam seal with the cam removed but you have to remove the rocker arm assembly. You can just remove the cam gear and pull out the old seal with a set of picks or small screw drivers.

But if it's leaking under the dizzy then replacing the cam seal won't help.

Did you put sealant on the valve cover gasket on the corner areas where the rocker arm assembly "humps" over the cam?

·
Registered
829 Posts
if its leaking on the distributor side and you replaced the dizzy oring it must be the valve cover gasket as sql civic stated
"Did you put sealant on the valve cover gasket on the corner areas where the rocker arm assembly "humps" over the cam?"

spray the spot down with brake cleaner and see where the oil starts to migrate from :TU:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Take off the dizzy cap, the rotor, and dust cover and take a look inside for oil. Just replaced Duck's dizzy a month ago with the small leak in the same area and it was the dizzy seal inside that finally took a crap after 200+k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. thanks guys. i was confused on where the cam seal was. there's no oil inside the cap so i dont think thats whats leaking. and no, when i replaced the vc gasket i didn't use any sealant. i'll have to try that. thanks a lot. i really appreciate it :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh i see. do you think the copper would do alright? i have some of it and i dont really wanna buy anything else as i am currently unemployed. haha

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
oh i see. do you think the copper would do alright? i have some of it and i dont really wanna buy anything else as i am currently unemployed. haha
it's only like $4-5. it will seal better than the copper spray. thats mainly used for headgaskets, IM gakets, exhaust manifold gaskets..etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i already used it, but it wasn't the spray. it was copper silicone high temp for valve covers. it seemed to work. i actually think it solved my problem, but i stripped out one of the head bolts. haha now i have to rethreat the head :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts