Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to familiarize myself more with turbos and a thought came up while in the process. I tried searching around here and elsewhere on the internet and could not find an answer. Hope this hasn't been asked before. Anyways, what i was wondering is what is the "science" behind selecting a cam that has large lift and short duration for a forced induction engine? I know a decent amount about engine workings so don't be afraid to hit me with a more advanced explanation on this. Thank you guys.

Peace

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
My understanding is it has a lot to do with the shorter duration and not so much the lift. Less overlap is important, because you bleed off less boost. You don't need all the extra valve lift, since boost can over come that. Most V8 blower cams are faily mild cams. Probably why a 59300 works well on a D-series. I'm sure you could get closer to an optimal grind. Someone like Bisi no doubt understands that with his stuff.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^Thanks

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
back to basics

most turbo cams arent that much more aggesive than your stocker, but an na performance cam is gonna have quite a bit more duration and lift...its pretty interesting if you compare their specs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts