Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, yet another question from me. I am going to be ordering a custom cam for my y5 in a few weeks. The question is: if all I'm getting done is a custom cam, will I have to get a tune afterwards?

Thanks!
-d

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
if its as aggressive as a stage 2 cam then yes. please post up progress on this because im building up my gf's y5 and im debating on a head swap or not.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, based on my research into bense's and amkrew's research about the y5, I think I'm going to go with the stage 3. I figured I'd need the spring. Are you sure about the connecting rods?
-d

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah... what's block internals specifically rods going to do to block internals??? :) it's not F/I were talking about here lol... probebley the only thing you need to worry about is piston-to-valve clearance but i don't think this should be a problem if your usiing the stock internals... cause the piston in the D16Y5 will be 0.5 mm BELOW deck... and the piston for the Y5 is already dished... so UNLESS you have lift in the .600" range your out of trouble ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so another question. I am considering boosting the y5 hopefully over the summer (either that or find a del sol to tinker with). Should I got with the stage 3 or get their cam made for turbo? If I get the turbo one, will I notice any gains from that, before I add a turbo kit? Thanks for all the help, guys.
-d

·
Registered
80 Posts
Usually "Stg.3" called cams are setup to run best with N/A applications, with large overlap periods and lot's of duration at the expense of drivabiliy(Fuel millage, Idle range)... while this can work the best with N/A... it certainley wouldn't work good with boost... cause boost hates overlap... and hates large durations at the exaust side... i say get a custom grind for your turbo OR get a cam specifically for turbo D's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts