Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the boards and didn't get a real "diffinitive" answer so i'm going to ask this now. Would either of these cams 92-95 HONDA CIVIC/DEL SOL 16V 1.5L DX/LX
on here: http://www.gude.com/Cams/cam_civic~crx.html fit my car?

I have a D15Z1

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
They should as long as it's for a SOHC VTEC motor.

Ditch the z1 VTEC-E head and get a regular d16z6 or d16y8 for a bit more perfomance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Neither of those will work in the Z1. Ditch it for a JDM D15B VTEC or a D16Z6. Camming a Z1 is like polishing a turd, sure you could do it, but what's the point?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how much do Z6 heads usually run for? I can't imagine much. And it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to swap? I'm not new to cars, just somewhat new to Hondas.

·
Registered
510 Posts
So how much do Z6 heads usually run for? I can't imagine much. And it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to swap? I'm not new to cars, just somewhat new to Hondas.
Read up on mini-me. Its up to you if its too much hassle. If your only source of information is asking on the forums you will probably get frustrated and give up. I recommend a good book or two and a few documents in google.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you'll most likely find a d15b vtec from importers rather than a z6.

go with eh d15b vtec, they run anywhere from $3 to $4 for a longblock. but in your circumstance, i would get the longblock and a tranny since your vx tranny is geared for better gas mileage.

i wouldn't do a mini me on a vx block, unless you planning on boosting since the vx pistons are really dished, and it would drop your compression a lot of i you use any other head besides a vx head.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Your talking about a differant motor. The SOHC ZC is closer to the D16A6 or D16Z6 depending if it's VTEC or not. You couldalso run a D16Z6 if you find one for a good price.

The ones on eBay are usually just the long block for that price, not the whole swap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So as far as i've seen, it looks like I should go with the D15B V-TEC. And one possible D16Z6. Anyone got a link for the differences on these two engines? And then anyone got a link for a priced D16Z6? I know I could do it myself, but right now it's Sunday and i'm feeling uber lazy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And i'm not understanding the whole "long block" thing. When it says long block does it mean just the engine? No tranny, ECU, etc. unless otherwise noted?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Long block by definition is just the block and head assembly, no oil pan, valve cover, manifolds, sensors, or accessories. Most places sell long blocks with at least the oil pan and valve cover, and in many cases manifolds and sensors. A swap is generly the engine assembly, tranny, manifolds, ecu and usually all the needed sensors and distributor. It's why swaps cost more, but they save you the trouble of trying to dig up all the parts seperatly.

The differance between the D15B and the D16Z6 is obviously .1L displacement and possibly the cam. Both use the same head and manifolds, and make about the same ammount of power.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Your talking about a differant motor. The SOHC ZC is closer to the D16A6 or D16Z6 depending if it's VTEC or not. You couldalso run a D16Z6 if you find one for a good price.
Yes I am. lol. IMO ZC is probably better than the D15b

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm ... D15B is looking like a good idea. 130HP, easy install, plenty of aftermaket potential, affordable. Unless I can find a D16Z6 for roughly the same price I might do that but I think it's definatley going to be the D15B V-TEC.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
D16Z6 is also sold as a ZC VTEC. Pretty much the same as a D15B swap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts