Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the first mods i did on my b7 was switch to a a6 cam with y8 cam gear...to make the timing match. well the other day, i had my timing belt/water pump changed... (by a mechanic...) - and i don't think he realized the whole timing ordeal. I made a mark on my cam gear... for the "1/2 tooth off." and now when i'm at TDC... the mark is off. (the way i usually find if i'm at TDC is i put a long stick into the spark plug hole... and when it's at the highest point... it's at TDC) - but according to that... i'm off by a tooth, or half a tooth what not.

what do i need to do?

do i just undo the cam bolt... slip the belt off... turn the cam gear 1 tooth over - slip the belt on... rotate the crank - check if the marks line up... tighten the bolt, and call it a day? or should i just get an adjustable cam gear...

Reactions: vtec-e94hatch

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
First same on you for not doing the t-belt and waterpump yourself. Easy as HELL!!!

all you have to do is loosen the tensioner bolt. then with the belt loose enough turn the cam gear bolt/cam gear where it needs to be. put the t-belt back on. tighten the tensioner bolt. turning the crank pulley will remove the slack from the belt. then tighten the tensioner all the way. don't make the belt to tight though before you tighten the tension bolt back up though.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but to loosen the tensioner bolt... i need to take the crank pulley bolt off - and other things off right?...

i wouldn't be able to just slip the belt off and move the cam gear exactly one tooth over?

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
but to loosen the tensioner bolt... i need to take the crank pulley bolt off - and other things off right?...
no you dont. take off the top tb cover then pop out the plug on the bottom tb cover to get to the tensioner bolt.

i wish i had computer to post a pic to show you. damn psp posting.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.....oh, i see - or at least i can picture it. i'll be trying that out tomorrow...

any tips on moving the cam gear - besides using shear grip and force?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,795 Posts
OEM cam gear has only ONE position, your not moving it!

Line up your cam/crank as stock, take pics.

Whatever you do DON'T FUCK with the tensioner!

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
When I installed my cam I marked it like you said and when i took the cam out I just slid the belt off. Put the new cam in and slid the belt back on. Never messed with the tensior. I turned the motor at the crank by hand to make sure everything worked and but the time the marks met back up they were 2 teeth off, I was like what the [email protected] So I looked and looked and I was like well Ill just keep going and if its 4 teeth off Im good, sure enough it was so I cranked the SOB and new had some new cam fun.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait... i just realized that everything is in the right place :hammer: - i forgot that TDC WAS 1 mark over. now i need to figure out why it's making noise... it's like ticking/knocking... but not necessarily. argh! which way is advancing the dizzy and which way is retarding again?

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
OEM cam gear has only ONE position, your not moving it!

Line up your cam/crank as stock, take pics.

Whatever you do DON'T FUCK with the tensioner!
if your gonna slip the t belt off, you need to loosen the tensioner bolt...so tdc bottom end, slip belt off then allign the cam gear to the tdc position, and slip belt back on..retension tensioner...thats how i would do it.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
he has an si cam, so the cam gear needs to be advanced. what i do without a adj. cam gear is put the t-belt on the crank pulley and water pump. then bring it up to the cam gear tautf (on the radiator side), then advance the cam gear slightly until the t-belt will sit on the camgear. it should be off like a half tooth. I dunno if that's the same a cam gear but it works fine when I do it.

O yeah and advacing the cam gear you turn it to the rad. not the firewall like the aem cam gear says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts