Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i got a question for u guys, Im getting a ported head with new valves plua a stage 2 cam from dh performance around next spring/summer, now in early spring I was going to get my dc cam gear installed with dyno runs to make peak performance for my d16( 96 civic ex) now heres my question, when I do the head swap are the mechanics going to have to re-adjust the cam gear again? I just need to figure out how much shop fees are goig to run me, I already have a comp cams stage 1, so I just need some feedback, thanks for your time!!!!!! :shock:

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
MyblkVTEC said:
when I do the head swap are the mechanics going to have to re-adjust the cam gear again?
They will not neccessarily have to re-adjust it. For peak gains it would be best to dial in your cam on a dyno again, but don't let the mechanics determine what you need ;)

But do however they make a refernece point on your timing belt and adjustable cam gear so they can assemble things back together the way you had it when it was dyno tuned.

Question though....Why don't you just wait to get everything installed then dyno-tune?? Your gains from adjusting the cam back and forth a little will not be tremendous and would almost be a waste of money at that point.

·
Registered
377 Posts
when you say dh performance are you refering to DH-Racing??????? i would recommend going elsewhere as dhr customer service sucks a HUGE DICK. i am serious. they are terrible. took about 4 months for me to get a cam from them(emailing them every day). they took over a year to build a gsr motor for my friend and when he put it in the #4 cylinder had lower compression than the rest of them. dave told him to tear it apart and if something was wrong he would try to help. the only thing was this guy paid $9800 for the fucking build. if you spent nearly $10K and waited for over a year and had to rebuild the motor would you be mad?????obviously!!!!!! also the head he recieve had bad valve seals. DHR is a fucking joke. i woud recommend going with exospeed. sorry i needed to vent but i hate to see people spend their hard earned money and get dicked over.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, im not buying from them now!!! Thanks for saving me 1200 for my setup! ok I want this... new springs/retainers/stage2 cam/ported head/valves... where do I go, I would love to have it all together too.... lemme know thanks!!!!-MyblkVTEC

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey looks like crower has a good stage 2 cam with springs and retainters, but with their valves now... it say I can get 8 exhaust and 8 intake, what would I need both, I want to get a ported head and install these all at once.... do u need to repalce both I guess I dont understand the idea of all 16 valves......

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
16 valves = 2 intake valves /2 exhaust valves per cylinder. this allows more air to flow into/out of the cylinder than one valve will allow. it would be wise to upgrade all of these at once. you're just adding bigger valves which will allow more air flow than your stock valves.

if you don't know how engines work than click here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

this is a very good basic understanding of what your engine is doing. all noobs should read this. I learned alot when I read it.

hope this helps

·
Registered
377 Posts
are you going to be running the stock bottom end?? and are you planning on running oversized valves or just upgrading valves. how many miles are on your motor?? you might be able to get a PnP head, retain you stock valves and upgrade springs and retainers with your cam. what are you planning on revving it to?

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i noticed in the F/I forum you decided that you're going to run a jrsc. if you're going to do that, I would honestly suggest building up your bottom end if you are limited on money. if not, go for the full build. a cam can free up some power, but if you're not worried about revving high, cam, springs, valves and retainers aren't all that necessary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts