Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a y8. I want to buy an adjustable cam gear. do I have to buy an aem/edelbrock one for the y8?

or will any 88-00 cam gear work?

any should fit right? do I have to adjust anything for the 95 and down cam on the y8?

or would any work with no problems, fits perfect, marks are all correct?

thanks

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so I bought an edelbrock cam gear supposedly from a y8. it has the small cut out for the woodriff pin/key to lock it to the cam. see attched image.

so yesterday I went by the local dealership to get some prices on the parts I need for my 100k tune up. also changing out cam/gear/valvesprings while I'm in there.

so when it comes time to find the price of the key, they can't find it. well the supervisor comes down and says that on that model the key is actually part of the cam gear it self. so what do I do? get a key from a z6? Was I lied to, is this the correct gear for my y8?

thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
That does not look like a y8 cam gear

Why? The tming mark is inline with 0, however this does not matter if the ky location is correct with the tdc marks on the gear

BTW I may have a key at home if you can't find one. LMK and ill see if I can priority mail it down

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry I'm confused. I thought that was supposed to be inline? does anyone have any pictures they could post for comparison? Is there somewhere local I could go to get the key? if not I'll take you up on your offer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's odd. I sold a JG cam gear a while back and it came with the woodruff key.

The service manager is correct. The 96 cam gears have the keyway/woodruff key built into the cam gear.

I personally bought the AEM 96+ cam gear. There were a lot of debates on how much to advance and retard from the two cam gears. Some say advance 5, some say retard 5.

I went for peace of mind. Correct "proven" cam gear.

I thought for the longest time I had a y8 cam gear, but it turns out I had a 95 and older one.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
gftgrill said:
sorry I'm confused. I thought that was supposed to be inline?
Y8 is at a slight angle, id guess a few degrees. Builthatch posted some pics about this on this site somewhere.

As far as the woodruff key..check out local auto parts stores. If they don't have anything, then hope I still have mine.

K

·
0 Posts
tell the pricks at honda that u need a woodruff key for a 92-95 civic camshaft. and more than likely they will say something stupid like "but sir,your car is a 96" then just tell them i know that. this is the part i need. same goes for a del sol s, del sol si, and del sol vtec. all the camshaft woodruff keys are the same.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
That isn't a y8 cam gear. stupid thing looks like a z6 gear. why can't anyone get something so freaking simple right... Notice that it says JG on it. Guess Edelbrock got it from them when they worked together.

Important thing to notice on that JG gear is that the woodruff key cutout points up to a peak on the gear, not a valley like it should.

As for the woodruff key, get the key from the 99-00 Civic SI.

Attached is a pic of a Golden Eagle 96-00 gear. The markings are not 100% accurate, but the woodruff key cutout points in the right direction.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, well shit. is anyone interested in buying the gear? just give me what I paid plus shipping? 60 + shipping should be less than 10 bucks. I'll have the gear in hand by monday to take aditional pics.

ok so what gears are available that are correct for the y8? AEM, Golden Eagle, any others?

thanks for you help guys.

·
Registered
531 Posts
gftgrill said:
ok, well shit. is anyone interested in buying the gear? just give me what I paid plus shipping? 60 + shipping should be less than 10 bucks. I'll have the gear in hand by monday to take aditional pics.

ok so what gears are available that are correct for the y8? AEM, Golden Eagle, any others?

thanks for you help guys.
The keyway is just off by 4 degrees...adjust it and keep it if you please, or you can sell but as long as you know where zero is...it really doesn't matter.

Vince

·
Registered
531 Posts
rexinre said:
I know what you are saying AgentJam, but the thing that would bother me is you pay for a cam gear to be able to advance or retard the cam 10 degrees either way.... Now you have less to start with, know what I mean.
of course...just dont see many people advancing 6+ degrees on cam.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts