Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to d-series.org but question i bought a d16a6 head and the can gear has strange marks wondering if anyone's seen it before and knows why?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
looks pretty obviously human-made.looks like someone had the wrong camgear, and marked where they tried it.

I wouldnt worry about it. its a PM3 gear, so 88 d16a6 or 88-95 d15b2/6/7/8 usage.

**EDIT** missed d16a6 in your post. PM3B now makes sense. still, no worries about marks, they dont look honda-made. **EDIT**

Or you could paint the gear with textured paint, and repaint over the factory timing marks so it causes zero confusion in future

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no confusion and I get they were human made, just wondering if anybody with an a6 has seen this on there's or even ran it on those marks.. And if so what was the outcome

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
if you do not having a way to tune the motor, dont fuck with cam timing.

Unless you are okay with losing power and torque.

stock motors like the factory timing. sure, half a degree is fine or so. but an entire tooth is 4.75 degrees or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude your reading past everything I wanna hear what it did... I'm in the middle of a building not worried about tuning its all to come. Wondering if anyone has seen this. I know what gear it is. The year everything I get tuning get all of it. Wondering if anyone's seen it before...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Im going with Matt here, looks like someone was trying to make there own adjustable cam gear. or used it on an engine that wasnt made for that gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I'm thinking but on the other hand, could it possibly be that its a different camshaft?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
We are talking about the 1's right?

If so. It looks like someone had a different cam on there or shaved head and marks the different degrees.
Have i seen this before. No not like that.
But i have seen saw cuts into gears to do the same thing.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How many times do I need to say stop worrying about the human-added lines?

the gear is correct for your motor.

If you are in the middle of a build, you definitely dont need to worry about them. I would hate to see you fail a build and screw something up. Keep chugging away on your build, and keep it proper.

Get an adjustable cam gear if you want that extra bit fo tunability. on some setups an extra half degree advanced or retarded can and will make a nice bonus powerband helper. IF used correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, and ya I'm doing the a6 head on b2 block, just held up by money and head bolts lmfao

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
You did not say you were slapping this onto a d15

unbolt that camgear and scrap it or save it as a paperweight.

go ahead and buy a d16y7 or d16y8 camgear from a 96-00 civic.

you cannot re-use the d16a6 camgear on a d15

·
Registered
87 Posts
88 A6 cam in a B1/B2/B7 can use the stock cam gear.

89-91 A6 cam in a B1/B2/B7 need a Y7 or Y8 cam gear.

FYI: if anyone has an A6 cam for sale (or know someone that does), PM me. I need one for my lil D15.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
88 A6 cam in a B1/B2/B7 can use the stock cam gear.

89-91 A6 cam in a B1/B2/B7 need a Y7 or Y8 cam gear.

FYI: if anyone has an A6 cam for sale (or know someone that does), PM me. I need one for my lil D15.
I try not to remind people the 88's were simple swaps. It makes it easier, and less chance of people getting confused.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts