Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would like to share with you my experience in using the D16Y8 AEM cam gear in my D16A6 (D16ZC).

I installed it usiung 4.75 retard as my zero point. Everything ran as normal upon start up. i was compaining of a flat spot in the 3000-4500 and breatheless after 6000rpm. ( Standard cam).

With 2 degrees advance - stronger low end obviously. Felt in the 1000-4000 rpm but breatheless and "harsh" after 5500rpm. Not good for high reving. Good town driving I suppose and daily driving.

With 2 degrees retard, weaker low end, especially when cold ( oil temp 20-50C). But once heated up, the low end came back with a much stonger pull from 3500-7000rpm.
The harshness of the engine disappeared and pulled cleanly and smoothly to 7000rpm where it felt like it still wanted to go on.

This is a standard cam at 2 degrees retard.

What I am going to do now and is set it at 4 degrees retard and see what happens. I have filed the edges of the cam belt paltic cover so I can remove it by hand by undoing the 2 X 10mm and prying the cover off without removing the cam cover.

I will keep you informed of any progress.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
nice I have the same thing Im just waiting for spring to install all parts PS: with ~2 advanced you can picup 2-3 MPG :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedjunky01 said:
nice I have the same thing Im just waiting for spring to install all parts PS: with ~2 advanced you can picup 2-3 MPG :)
I tried the 2-3 advance but the mid to high was kind of breatheless, but the torque was better for sure. If I do most of my driving in town at <3000rpm, then it would be a better choice. I am going to go for -4 degrees to see if it can be improved or reach negative returns.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Yea I know it will pick up better with retard, Im doing all my experimenting on the dyno, also make shure to check your timing at the distributor after each change since it runs off the cam. $ is pretty steem man, make shure you wont hit the piston at that, also you may have to modify the slides of the distibutor to dial in timing right

PS: :TTIWWP:

I WANT PIS of it in man, what color?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedjunky01 said:
Yea I know it will pick up better with retard, Im doing all my experimenting on the dyno, also make shure to check your timing at the distributor after each change since it runs off the cam. $ is pretty steem man, make shure you wont hit the piston at that, also you may have to modify the slides of the distibutor to dial in timing right

PS: :TTIWWP:

I WANT PIS of it in man, what color?
When I retard the cam timing, am I retarding the ignition timing as well?
I do not have a dyno, just drive around and use butt dyno.

I do not know whether it hits the pistons but it turns over at the crank by hand without hitting anything.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
just make shure to cheack your IGn timing they run off each other not shure which way it works as in retard one what happens to other

1 - 7 of 7 Posts