Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I just want to know if this cam looks fine to you!

and this one too?

thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What cam and how many miles are on it. First shot looks like theres some wear going on.
it is a JDM D15B VTEC cam and i have no idea about mileage since it is from an engine i bought from a junk yard. is that wear serious? this one just got my eyes so i just wanted to check with u guys!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it normal to for a low millage engine to have such this wear on the cam? does this show that engine wasn't that low mileage?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I think that looks like more than normal wear... But I guess it depends how it feels IRL.
How does the cam surfaces on the head look? And the rocker arm surfaces?
Can you feel the scratching with your finger nail?

I'm no expert, and that may well be acceptable wear.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's definately not normal in Honda engine. Maybe in Ford Pinto, but not D16.
It looks like oiling problem or something, what oil you've (or previous owned) used? That wear seems to be on closing side, how opening side looks? IMO that looks like using too thin or worn(used too long) oil, that rocker squeezes off from cam and won't stick between them and lube it correctly. You should check your oil pressure and lost motion assemblies too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like oiling problem or something, what oil you've (or previous owned) used? That wear seems to be on closing side, how opening side looks? IMO that looks like using too thin or worn(used too long) oil, that rocker squeezes off from cam and won't stick between them and lube it correctly. You should check your oil pressure and lost motion assemblies too.
ok! i am getting worried now! i have no idea about the engine since i bought the engine from a junk yard! it was not a half cut so i have no idea about mileage also! when we opened the engine everything looked very clean. or maybe i thought it is clean! but now everything look rusted!

please let me know if you see anything wrong in this photos. tomorrow i am going to check again and take some more photos.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It's not rust, just dirty oil all over. Almost all parts are aluminum and doesn't rust.
Not anything wrong you can see in those pictures, but it's hard to tell by just looking at it.
This is precision mechanics, which must be measured with the proper tools to know for sure.

But it looks ok in my eyes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep looks like a little wear on it. How does the rocker contact surface look?
Here are rocker arm suefaces

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I think that looks like more than normal wear... But I guess it depends how it feels IRL.
How does the cam surfaces on the head look? And the rocker arm surfaces?
Can you feel the scratching with your finger nail?

I'm no expert, and that may well be acceptable wear.
I couldn't feel anything by my finger nail. it s totally smooth. looks more like discoloration than scratch or wear. or at least i couldn't feel the scratches.

here are some more photos of different sides

Thanks guys for help

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yep, about everything looks like normal, and seems to need only some good cleaning. I just wonder those fucked up VTEC lobes. It shouldn't look like that. Could you have pics from VTEC rocker surfaces? Weird that only VTEC lobes are affected. Maybe it's just because of using cheap shit oil or something. It should work, just clean, blueprint and assemble the whole thing ans use high quality syntetic oil, but don't expect that cam/rockers to last 200k miles 8)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, about everything looks like normal, and seems to need only some good cleaning. I just wonder those fucked up VTEC lobes. It shouldn't look like that. Could you have pics from VTEC rocker surfaces? Weird that only VTEC lobes are affected. Maybe it's just because of using cheap shit oil or something. It should work, just clean, blueprint and assemble the whole thing ans use high quality syntetic oil, but don't expect that cam/rockers to last 200k miles 8)
which one is VTEC rocker? is it the Mid Rocker?
How to blueprint? what do you mean by that? sorry i am a noob!
they told me do NOT use synthetic oil after engine build only before second oil change!
if i want to have something that last long what should i do? change cam and rockers?

looks like it was a little oil deprived..but they should work fine for a while...long enough to save up for a decent cam!!
can it be oil pump problem? since i am going to use the oil pump from this engine! so now i am a bit scared!
i really don't want to go through this trouble again and again. don't even want to open up the head to change anything for later. what do you suggest if i want to have an engine to work for long time with no problem?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
After a rebuild most recommend the use of non additive mineral oil.
I used some cheap ass oil for initial start-up on my final build.

I would replace the oil pump, just to be certain... Don't want it failing on you.
Will become a lot more expencive then the pump itself very quickly...

Rocker arms seem ok, as long as there's nothing that cam be felt by your finger nail.
The cam is a little more questionable. If you have the money, a Crower stage 2 would be a nice addition to your build.
But if you can get a stock cam in good shape, that is also an alternative...

I think that answers most of your questions, from my point of view.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a rebuild most recommend the use of non additive mineral oil.
I used some cheap ass oil for initial start-up on my final build.

I would replace the oil pump, just to be certain... Don't want it failing on you.
Will become a lot more expencive then the pump itself very quickly...

Rocker arms seem ok, as long as there's nothing that cam be felt by your finger nail.
The cam is a little more questionable. If you have the money, a Crower stage 2 would be a nice addition to your build.
But if you can get a stock cam in good shape, that is also an alternative...

I think that answers most of your questions, from my point of view.
for oil i have bought Honda 10W30 mineral LEV-VTEC oil with HAMP filter (dealer said it s better than Honda filter!) for 1st and 2nd oil change after that i will flush the engine and will change to Honda Fully-synthetic VTEC oil. how is Honda oil?

i will think about replacing oil pump, it is not that expensive.

i called dealer for Crower cams and he said no stock for single cam and ordering will take 1 month and half and will cost me around 400 US$. i cant wait that long and don't have that much money right now! also i read in other post that if i change the cam i should change the retainers and springs! i just think it would be begging of spending a lot more cash!

Thanks for your help! i don't know what i should do if i didn't access to this forum and u guys!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I use Mobil1 5W-50 oil now. I won't recommend what to use, because I don't know much, if anything, about oils.
But many use Mobil1 and are happy with it... Honda here in Norway only sell Castrol oil, so I don't know anything about Honda motor oil.

You're right about the Crower cam, it will cost some money. If I where you, I'd see if I could get a stocker in better shape.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts

you shouldnt leave the crank laying on the floor like that.. set it on the flywheel end of the crank and dont let it fall over

1 - 20 of 22 Posts