Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have chosen to mic my rod and main journals on my d15b7 ,and not just relying on plasti gauge to find my oil clearances.

I'll be using telescope gauges..

My main question is does any one make a vernier caliper that is accurate to the
.0001 or better ?

All I've found is .001 accuracy

Micrometer is fine if I have to ,but I'd like the versatile of 1 fits all kind of measurement tool. 0-6 inch

Thanks

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Not that I know of. I use a micrometer when I need accuracy.

Telescoping gauges aren't going to be much better than plastigauge. You need to use a bore gauge, you'll need a micrometer to use it with.

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I have a digital 0-1 inch micrometer that has a accuracy of .00001
I'll use that for bearing thickness

Dial bore gauge ,1-2inch micrometer should do the trick

Aquafina I'll be giving you a call for LSD after engine is assembled.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Don't forget about setting the bore gage correctly if you really want accuracy. Otherwise all you'll have is a relative measurement because of the variance in the indicator mounting position when setting it up. Using a bore gage setting tool allows you to set the desired result with gage blocks, then transfer it to the dial bore gage to your desired accuracy with the mounting adjustment. Once you've done that, there's absolutely no guessing as to how much under/over the desired size you are via direct reading of the dial.

Also, remember if you're looking at dial bore sets to get the resolution you desire... most of the cheaper sets have .0005" resolution instead of .0001" resolution. The range of most sets will be 2"-6", although I've seen some that are 1.4"- 6".

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I have chosen to mic my rod and main journals on my d15b7 ,and not just relying on plasti gauge to find my oil clearances.

.0001 or better ?

Micrometer is fine if I have to ,but I'd like the versatile of 1 fits all kind of measurement tool. 0-6 inch

Thanks
I'm sure someone does. Try goodson.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Looks better than .001
maybe there will be more accurate
Did you not check my link?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fowler's new Bore Gage Setting Master Kit is
used for accurately setting any bore gage up to 6"
in diameter to an accuracy of .0001".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Granted, you have to get a bore gage that can be set to the tenths to have that accuracy, but that was why I mentioned to watch for the desired degree of resolution in the post.

Here's a nice set on Ebay that would cover the range you're looking for.

And another one...

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help

Telescope gauges are useless in the I need accuracy department category then .....right?

Dial bore gauge is the best option ....

I could see my self spending a fortune on measurement tools.lol

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts

.0001 or better ?

Thanks
a caliper to measure something in the ten-thousanths range?

Im not sure if your going to get a good reading with even a digital caliper, there is simply so much that can change those readings at that small of a measurement, hell the heat from your hands warming up the tool can change your readings at that point.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Yes, telescoping gauges are useless for accuracy and you will spend just as much on the proper tools as you will on the engine build itself.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Telescope gauges are useless in the I need accuracy department category then .....right?

Dial bore gauge is the best option ....

I could see my self spending a fortune on measurement tools.lol
Right...

Dial bore gauge is the best option in a reasonable price range unless you're planning to use one day in & day out. There are much more expensive options if you're flush... Triga-bore

A fortune, indeed! Best value is likely to watch Ebay for quality name brand equipment at decent pricing... I've seen Sunnen bore sets with the setting station go for under $200 on occasion!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used telescoping gauges to assemble a bottom end once. Took about 4 times as long as it should of cause you end up checking each measurement 6 times. Picked up a fowlerr dial bore gauge after that. Mine is graduated in .00005"

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kool

I used telescoping gauges to assemble a bottom end once. Took about 4 times as long as it should of cause you end up checking each measurement 6 times. Picked up a fowlerr dial bore gauge after that. Mine is graduated in .00005"
Makes life easier for sure thanks for the insight....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts