Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found nothing helpful.

1.Sohc ZC in OBD0 able to smog it yes or no?

2.Crankcase breathers/ Catch Cans if routed correctly smog yes or no?

3.Obd0-1 ECU Conversion with correct sensors (four wire O2)

4.Should I just stop worrying about smog or just get over building cars? lol

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NOt to jack your thread, but I would like to know why Cali has the gayest smog laws ever? i'm all the way in canada and every time I hear about a car in cali I also see smog concern following it, So how do all the guys in the skylines and supras get away with it?

·
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members
643 Posts
The smog laws are strict because of the amount of people in this state. California is something like the world's fifth largest economy, so I'm sure you can imagine the amount of vehicles on the road. I used to be able to see the smog in Sacramento (State capitol) from 30 miles away, and Sac is way small compared to the Bay Area or L.A..

And for a part to be legal, it has to have a CARB exemption number and be run correctly. Meaning you have to switch your car to whatever OBD the engine is and everything has to be hooked up exactly as it was in the donor car. Heads have to come from the same year and model of engine, meaning that Frankenstein motors are techinically illegal. Contact your local smog ref. for info specific to your application. I'm ref'ing and smogging my build with the stock cam in it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ATTENTION: please read the title of the post before answering.

I don't want to import a car (apex) and I am not wondering who to ask about part legality (Blanco)
I want to know if Sohc ZC's can be legalized or not and if Catch cans (some have E.O. numbers, but not for honda) can be run legally.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I saw a thread I think Sqad put up about engine swapping and what is legal. I could have sworn it was a sticky somewhere.

·
Registered
934 Posts
not a problem. but I did. If you look at the last post. from the state, the last line "Smog Inspection
These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe). "

and yes you can use the sohc ZC as long as all emissions controls are plugged in ie:charcoal cannister,purge solenoid etc... If you where to smog it at state and not check only, you would have to have the referee signoff on the engine. They make sure all emissions crap is installed and working properly and run it through the tester. You pass, your in the clear, you dont well lets hope you dont.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
squad I don't need an answer right this minute, but this apex guy has been in every thread I have been in/started for the past week and is driving me nuts with his posts, which are mostly comprised of regurgitated opinions and links to sites most people have bookmarked anyway.

·
Registered
92 EH2
439 Posts
bspeed said:
I searched and found nothing helpful.

1.Sohc ZC in OBD0 able to smog it yes or no?

2.Crankcase breathers/ Catch Cans if routed correctly smog yes or no?

3.Obd0-1 ECU Conversion with correct sensors (four wire O2)

4.Should I just stop worrying about smog or just get over building cars? lol
1. sohc zc would have to be obd1, becouse the D16 vtec was offered from 92 and on.

2. Crankcase breathers are illegal becouse your just letting the crankcase vapors out to the ozone, big nono. Catch cans are legal as long as the E.O.# is for the engine application. example- cant have a catch-can from a b16 into a d16.

3. if your vehicle was originally obd0 and you decided to put an obd1 or obd2 engine then everything would have to be either obd1 or 2 depending on engine.

4. keep on building man.

just remember when you change an engine everything has to match the year the engine was offered here. the reason a DOHC ZC isnt smog legal is becouse the DOHC ZC was never offered here in the states. remember though like previously stated no frankenstein's. We do check everything like ECU, Vacuum Rountings, Head to make sure its for that block, Timing etc...
Now if you put a ZC sohc in a 92-95 civic we wont give it a bar label becouse that engine would just be a replacement for a EX/Si. Another thing you cant go back engines, if you have say a 92 civic you cant put a 91 interga engine in it even though everything would be compliant like smog devices and such. hope any of this helps, any more ?'s just ask.

sorry for long as post.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Hate to say it, but do the normal thing and register the car out of state at some
relatives house...
Being in the military I had fun time with my old GTI and now my EK.
florida license, Mississippi tags, live in texas,,,
The cops didnt want to take the time to do all the paper work for those tickets....haha, lazy bastards..thank goD

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dude...you can pass

i helped swap a d15b vtec in my buddies z6...and we got it to passed

i just passed my car not too long ago, and i had a custom intake on it...as long as the hose are all plugged up.

if something is easy to put on and off, then put on the stock parts if you can, i couldn't find my stock intake, so i went in and it worked.

find some dumb ass smog check station, some people dont even check the code on the motor...it clearly stated d15b on my buddies motor, and when they asked, i was like, it's a d16z6 off a civic ex coupe...and he was like, yea that's what it is

and swapping heads...i never knew that this was going to be a problem...well it's because the smog place i bring it to dont even look at the codes on the head or block.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks theEH, I had a feelig that was the case yet I needed to hear it from the horses mouth if you know what I mean.

·
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members
643 Posts
bspeed said:
thanks theEH, I had a feelig that was the case yet I needed to hear it from the horses mouth if you know what I mean.
...That's why I gave examples and suggested that you call the referee yourself. :???:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blanco the reason I ask questions on this board instead of calling numbers out of the phone book is because this is an information resource not just a place for people to be smart asses and know-it-all pricks towards one another. I don't know all the answers and have been told half true things before by suppposed "Gurus". This is a forum wherein I can pose questions to others who have experienced in the past what I am going through or about to go through. Your examples were insightful, only they were not what I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts