Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking on putting one on the teg, but what do you guys think about winter for this set up? bad drifting out home and engines bays usually fill with snow, would having an exposed filter hurt it to you think?
I mean it's not likely to plug it off or anything but I was thinking if it was coverd in snow then melted on a short drive then froze it may be bad!
What do you think, anyone run them in the winter?

-TAG

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
i wouldnt do it. bc yea wen ur car warms up the snow will melt but wat is gonna happen to the snow blocking the filter before ur car warms up? its still gonna be there clogging the filter till the engine warms up enough to melt it away. i say just leave it off till the snow season is over especially if ur engine bays fill up with snow like u say they do.:S if the snow drift wasnt that bad i say do it but for you weather nope. i run a short ram year around no problems.

edit: i re read ur post and i now see that it wont block it off but the snow wont melt rite away so it has to go somewhere while the intake is suking in air before it melts

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
i run my SRI all year round..i found taht when i did my IM swap...my intake feels cooler...and my filter isnt sittin right over my tranny anymore..but yeah..them candian winters...brrrr....almost not used to it anymore..when i go visit the bro in T-dot...freaking freeze my ass off...ands its gonna be wrsot now..cause im moving to GA...

ive never had a CAI...but yeah i would say change it to SRI..not worth risking it...i mean even now..at stock height here in CT when snow is bad..and i drive..i c snow all up in my front bumper

·
Registered
826 Posts
i love my CAI, but if theres snow or deep water around then i take the extra pipe off and boooooom SRI

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
yeah... i think this winter - i'm puttin my stock box back on.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
AEM CAI year round for 8+ years, except when the front was damaged and no bumper, I made it into a SRI.........for about 3 weeks.....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
With a CAI, your filter get WET each time it rain! Water go everywhere under the hood and IN the fenders....people forget that! Your engine will not hydrolock but it is not good at all for the filter...

I had a sri on my civic 2 winter ago, and I took a drive on the autoroute 10 to go to Montreal, here they put calcium, salt and small rock(for the icy day) in the road in winter... I wash my filter after that winter and quess what? I remove nearly half a cup of small rock and shit from my filter:shocked: I will never run a sri again in winter, that's why I made a custom box over my filter(sri) and put a tube from the box to the front of the fender...

Stock teg filter/box w/k&n drop in filter ftw!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i'm thinking about running a CAI on mine, but we just got like a foot of snow so i think i'm going ot stick with the short ram until winter is gone, i won't have my head done unitl spring neways

·
Registered
06 coupe
1,464 Posts
im leaving my aem cai on for the winter. im scared as hell about only having 6,100 miles on my civic but hey im fucking lazy. im still waiting on aems recall. im hoping it will be soon if it is ima run a stock box till next summer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts