Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i recently sucked water up through my CAI and bent a rod in my y8.

So no more CAI for me.

Question is, has anyone on here ever used a CAI and extended/modified it to use as part of their intercooler piping.

I am going to piece together a turbo kit and this would be one part i won't need to find.

If no one has i'll probably go ahead and try it anyway, but just wanna know what everyone thinks.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
umm i dont think that the cai tubing can handle a turbo....i think it needs to be thicker....i may not be correct but thats what i think

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thicker? :?

intake pipes usually come in 2.5 or 3in...

they are perfect size...we used it on my friend's car...we just clamped it good with the bov flange cause it cost so damn much to weld aluminum :lol:

and also cover the hose that connects to the valve cover...like bone said

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used mine as part of my intake for the turbo but thats it. But I bet it would work.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"IF" it is the polished alloy piping, that is very thin (most cheapos are), then it will be fine for up to about 12psi after than you need to have a bead welded around the ends to hold the connectinos of. and it will take up to 18psi. after than it do recommend only using thicker piping as 18psi is a lot of boost to put on a thin walled pipe. but ti can be used as the intake pipe for the inlet side of the turbo. I'm using my old cai as that.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seriously? I don't think even 50 psi could burst an alu CAI. Being a round shape makes it very strong as far as holding evenly distributed pressure from the inside. The connectors slipping off is gonna be the biggest problem like you said oscarmayer. a little hair spray and it should hold fine though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it will work, but i would go with thicker GAUGE metal...
i use t bolt clamps and I would be afraid of crushing that thin ass pipe with a clamp

·
No more Honda's :-(
3,223 Posts
bailhatch said:
seriously? I don't think even 50 psi could burst an alu CAI. Being a round shape makes it very strong as far as holding evenly distributed pressure from the inside. The connectors slipping off is gonna be the biggest problem like you said oscarmayer. a little hair spray and it should hold fine though.
on my rx-7 i have cast aluminum intercooler pipes and i blow a coupling off about every 30 min with 10 psi. i need to buy longer couplings when i get it back together and then double clamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts