Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I just bought a 1991 civic si and I love how fun and simple the car is. However there is this buzzing noise coming from the transmission and the shift lever once you go above 2500 rpm, and becomes increasing louder with rpm. When I hold the shift lever tight the buzzing is muffled by my hand. It is a metallic buzzing/vibrating noise. I suspect tranny mounts. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,474 Posts
shifter is loose. Replace the plastic cage around the shifter ball.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Is there a diy for that? or do you know where I could download a Haynes manual or something of that nature? What else should I replace when I'm in the area?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,474 Posts
Newb or not, you redeemed yourself and I would start there.

My 89 CRXHF with SI/Zc driveline does the buzz and I HATE it! I installed a B&M shifter and didn't replace the part you linked too.

I can pull up in the shifter about 1/8" and the buzzing stops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally got around to replacing #10, #8, and #20 in this diagram Honda Automotive Parts

and I am still getting the same buzzing around 3k rpms, it is just quieter now since I replaced everything and re lubed everything. The tail of the top shift rod (what #20 holds) sits about 2 inches away from the exhaust. Maybe they vibrate and touch while driving? Its a stock exhaust. My engine and tranny mounts are also really worn. Could this cause vibration?

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
70 Posts
Time for more necromancy!
Has anyone stumbled across any other solution for this? I replaced the flex joint on my shift linkage with a weld-in universal joint. I get buzzing depending on speed, load and the resting position of the shifter.
It happens with both my current DX and previous ZC L3 trans. Only thing those two had in common was 5th gear, which I swapped back and forth, though the buzzing happens in 2-4 also. I installed a synchro and bearing rebuild kit on the DX a few months ago, no change.
Is it just a design issue with the L3?

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,176 Posts
sounds like one of the main/counter needle bearings..... pushing against them with the forks is what is changing their noise is my guess?

most bearing kits dont have any of the gearpack's bearings... just the big main ones.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,474 Posts
Never had a buzzing noise issue. When the roller bearing go bad, they just lock up like a sprag and if you try a different gear, well you'll end up with two gears engaged at once, and things go bad quickly.

Bob, any chance you have an 89 or so mainshaft without all the oil holes drilled, starving the roller bearings? 89 or so countershafts can be like that as well and starve both the outer CS bearings until they fail.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,474 Posts
Tear the transmission apart and inspect the shafts to see if all the oil ports are drilled.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts