Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing research, but I still don't get it.

I have a old mitsubishi tv that's pretty big and minus the speakers going out and it being large, the picture sucks compare to the sony trinitron. I dunno some tv got a long time ago. It's a CRT, I have no clue if it's hd or not. which brings me to my next question.

all CRT Tv's are standard def? LED,LCD, and plasma is a defferent style of tv. even watching regular tv, it would look better right? or playing video games. Are LED, LCD, and plasma the standard as for the next gen of tv's that have this great resolution/picture??????

Really, I just want a flat screen with good picture for my ps3 games. I'll probably never get an HDtv package. maybe I'll get a blueray movie since the ps3 can play them.

What the fuck is hdmi?

I really appreciate any help in advance.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i thought LED pertains to the backlighting tecnology? hdmi is high definition multi-interface. its like component cables and audio cables mixed in to one small plug. like s-video with audio made in.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
lcd tv's are the way to go. the price has reaaaaally come down on them over the years. dont get me wrong plasmas are badass too but im a lcd guy. the down sides of plasmas is they do dry up (over a loooong time) and direct light on them causes a reflection on the tv oh and if you pause the tv for a long period of time the image will BURN into the screen and be there forever. first things first: if you want to play ps3 on your tv, have an hdtv. if you dont have an hdtv there is no point in bluray and hdmi is just space talk. most hdtv's these days are 1080p (the shit!) some are still 720p (like mine). theres also 720i and 1080i but they are a little different and not as good. my advise to you is go to bestbuy and tell them you just want a new tv of said size under said price and you plan on playing ps3/blurays on it. they'll hook you up. i use to work there ha.

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
I have DLP tv, millions of tiny mirrors, and its a decent TV, price very reasonable, but has its drawbacks, must be on perfectly flat surface or will cause bowing effect. I have friend who bought LED tv and swears its the best TV he has ever owned, esp for ps3. If you go HD DEFFFF get HDMI cord for the PS3, some will say there is no difference between HDMI and blue red green cord, but they are wrong, there are subtle differences, like the HDMI will automatically adjust for 4:3 aspect and 16:9 aspect, also the sound quality is superior among a few other things, it just makes it easier really.

Reactions: guest

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
oh stay away from plasma for the gaming, from what I understand it will shorten its life noticeably

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
get hd lcd clear as hell,DLP run on projectors not so clear.
I'm going to have to disagree completyl with this statement, it is the other way around!

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
I have DLP tv, millions of tiny mirrors, and its a decent TV, price very reasonable, but has its drawbacks, must be on perfectly flat surface or will cause bowing effect. I have friend who bought LED tv and swears its the best TV he has ever owned, esp for ps3. If you go HD DEFFFF get HDMI cord for the PS3, some will say there is no difference between HDMI and blue red green cord, but they are wrong, there are subtle differences, like the HDMI will automatically adjust for 4:3 aspect and 16:9 aspect, also the sound quality is superior among a few other things, it just makes it easier really.
for sure. hdmi cables are night and day. just be sure you undo the 3 rca cables or else youre not in hdmi just boring old rca. i have a insignia(best buy only brand) 37" lcd tv. the picture is badass, not samsung but still pretty awesome. when i watch blurays through my ps3 the picture and sound is awesome.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lcd tv's are the way to go. the price has reaaaaally come down on them over the years. dont get me wrong plasmas are badass too but im a lcd guy. the down sides of plasmas is they do dry up (over a loooong time) and direct light on them causes a reflection on the tv oh and if you pause the tv for a long period of time the image will BURN into the screen and be there forever. first things first: if you want to play ps3 on your tv, have an hdtv. if you dont have an hdtv there is no point in bluray and hdmi is just space talk. most hdtv's these days are 1080p (the shit!) some are still 720p (like mine). theres also 720i and 1080i but they are a little different and not as good. my advise to you is go to bestbuy and tell them you just want a new tv of said size under said price and you plan on playing ps3/blurays on it. they'll hook you up. i use to work there ha.
ok, thanks. yeah, I may just do that. actually when I went there to buy my phone they where hella helpful.

wait, so I have to get a different cord to watch blueray and play ps3 with a lcd tv??

that's another thing that didn't make sense to me aspect ratios. it does seem like there's things on my screen I'm missing with my tv.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for sure. hdmi cables are night and day. just be sure you undo the 3 rca cables or else youre not in hdmi just boring old rca. i have a insignia(best buy only brand) 37" lcd tv. the picture is badass, not samsung but still pretty awesome. when i watch blurays through my ps3 the picture and sound is awesome.
what brands do you guys recommend? I'm really really tempted to go to best buy tonight.........

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
it all depends on what you do with your TV. i myself would go plasma. better coloring higher contrast ratio. dwn fall heaver then LCD and LED and higher power useage which produces more heat.

if you are looking for a decent tv on the front page of the best buy ad there is a tv that is a panasonic tv 50 inch for 799 with a 100 dollar gift card so the tv ends up being 699 plus tax.

HDMI is really good if you have high def tv or a blu ray player or xbox ps3. Dont cheap out on these you can tell but you really dont need to go baller on them either. I could prolly get you a hook up on a HDMI cable lol

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
ok, thanks. yeah, I may just do that. actually when I went there to buy my phone they where hella helpful.

wait, so I have to get a different cord to watch blueray and play ps3 with a lcd tv??

that's another thing that didn't make sense to me aspect ratios. it does seem like there's things on my screen I'm missing with my tv.
hdmi cables are basically just an advanced input/output cable. they can get expensive but you dont need a high dollar one. when you get your tv there will be a slot on the back that says hdmi, plug it in there and there's a matching port on your ps3. DONE! now your money pussy is ready for some channel flipping and some game playage.
what brands do you guys recommend? I'm really really tempted to go to best buy tonight.........
samsung
sony
lg
Panasonic
insignia
(in that order)

ya...... i only worked for best buy for a week due to them forcing their employees to hustle the shit out of the consumers. but they really really know their shit.

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
you dont have to worry about burn in anymore on plasmas i wold say 95% of plasma tvs now have a feature in the options that run white lines across your screen for a little bit of time that takes away burn ins.

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
samsung
sony
lg
Panasonic
insignia
(in that order)
depends on what your going for if you want plasma PANASONIC all day then samsung.

if you want LCD then i go samsung, NEW sony tvs, LG, insignia, dynex (dont buy that brand lol) i work for BBY and i tell ppl not to get dynex. its like a ebay turbo it can work good for a few months then it falls apart

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
depending on your budget get yourself a 1080p LCD, I will recomend Samsung, had never gave me any problems. Now besides the "full HD" which will be 1080, now you have to worry about megahurts (speel check) is the prosessor that comes with the tv, the very new ones come with a 240. I have a 62" samsung 1080p, 120 processor and I think still looks amazing.

make sure you get some good cables and make sure, if possible, that everything is connected via hd., Best buy can be on the high price level unless you get them on sale. Im a member at Sam's Club and I belived they have way better prices than BB.

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
totally forgot out the processor in the comp. really i cant tell the dif. between 120 and 240. my eyes sucks but they still look badass IMO

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
oh stay away from plasma for the gaming, from what I understand it will shorten its life noticeably
oh yeah plasma suck balls,if u get one dead pixel and the only way to fix that is to get another plasma tv. also u can't lay plasma tv flat on the ground if do say bye bye to tv.
the only 3 best brand tv are
samsung
sony
lg

·
Registered
801 Posts
not true. that was true of the first gen plasma's, the last couple gens have been fine if not preferred for gaming due to better black reproduction and lower lag time than lcd.

led hdtv's are on par with plasma though.

i have the high end panasonic plasma...came out of the same factory as the pioneer kuro elite, just not calibrated.

really when it comes to hdtv's go out and watch as many as you can and pick what you think looks like the best. there is no right or wrong. I went plasma after tons of research...but i ALMOST went dlp if i had the room for it.

if you do go lcd...make sure you get the 120hz models, they cause a lot less eyestrain and do not blue or pixelate with movement nearly as bad as the old 60hz ones.

seriously though, go out and look around to get an idea of what each tv can do and then go from there.

also, plasma = panasonic
lcd samsung, sony (overpriced but good picture), lg
dlp - samsung, mitsubishi

1 - 20 of 53 Posts