Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know which one you guys think I should buy. I'm looking to buy a civic with either a z6 or y8 engine (obviously haha) and I am going to want to run a turbo on it eventually. What I would like to do is buy a civic with either engine that runs good and has a clean body and use it as my DD. Then I want to buy a clean low miles engine (same as in the civic I bought) and build it up some, then swap it into my civic and turbo it. I've been searching and everything for a while and most people seem to feel that the z6 is better, due to the oil pump in the y8 that causes issues. Plus it seems a lot cheaper with the z6, for not only buying the civic but for parts also. All I have right now is 3500 and I am seeing some clean d16z6 civics for under 2, and seeing a couple clean d16y8 civics for around 3200. I'm looking to put out 210-260 reliable whp eventually, and keep my mpg decent. Any ideas or links to posts where people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1992 honda civic
327 Posts
y8 oil pump is fine....its the crank that causes the oiling problem. I'd personally go with whichever car you prefer i mean....260ish whp shouldnt be a problem on the y8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm definitely leaning toward the z6 because it seems more reliable and i found a clean title civic thats pretty nice for under 1600.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
y8 oil pump is fine....its the crank that causes the oiling problem. I'd personally go with whichever car you prefer i mean....260ish whp shouldnt be a problem on the y8.
Really?? The crank is the problem huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts