Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CGP EJ*
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have 98 Ej8 with 119k on the clock. I just picked it up from a family member who neglegted the car horribly. It had only 1 qt of oil in it and needed a new water pump. So I did a full cooling system/ timng kit. Changed the oil, and that's about it. Brand new plugs, wires, cap and rotor were already on the car. My problem is I'm getting smoke from the tailpipe at somewhere in the upper rpms. I'm not quite sure of the exact range. I took it to the track this weekend and some friends noticed that it smoked prety good.

Anyways I pulled the plugs when I did the valve adjustments .007in .009ex. So I know that I did that right. The plugs looked fine at that point. So after a less than stellar performance at the track I decided to do a compression test. Cyl 1&4 were 190ish and 2&3 were 180ish. So everything looked fine there. I also took a real good look at the plugs after running it that hard and didn't notice anything unusual. Normal color and not a hint of oil anywhere.

Any Ideas of where it could be going?

·
Registered
CGP EJ*
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
morning help anyone?

·
Registered
96 Posts
well 135 is the minimum and you can have a variation of 28 psi so compression is good i would say. i question the method of the compression check a little just cuz the max is 184 and it seems a little odd to have a miss treated motor have more compression then spec.

·
Registered
CGP EJ*
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well 135 is the minimum and you can have a variation of 28 psi so compression is good i would say. i question the method of the compression check a little just cuz the max is 184 and it seems a little odd to have a miss treated motor have more compression then spec.
I did the compression test with the motor at opperating temp. Pulled all 4 plugs, pulled the ECU fuse, installed the compression guage and had a friend hold the pedal WOT while cranking the motor untill the compression stopped raising. Is that correct or not?

·
Registered
CGP EJ*
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brother in-law said something about having to have the head redone when they first got the car. Not too sure about that. It's not the factory motor but it is still a y8 replacement. The original one was blown before they bought the car. If they had to mill the head or something would the factory timing set still work on the car? That is what I just changed and it was OEM. Is there a possibility that maybe it's excaping through the valve seals? I know the motor needs a rebuild and I'd like to go with some p29's or pm6 pistons but right now i'm in the process of trying to buy a house and the money isn't there for me to use on my Ej unless its an emergency. Damn grown up responsibilities!:(

·
Registered
CGP EJ*
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess i'll know when I finally get to tear it apart. Hopefully this winter! Thanks for the help guys anymore info is much appricieated1

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
if it was a burnt ring wouldn't it be smoking at all times?

i put my money on valve stem seals because it smoke at upper rmp but how high?

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
theres no over heating right? if so, head gasket hands down. and if not, and its only in the higher rpms def check the exhaust valves. pull the head and see if it has any hot spots and checkthe valves for a lot of carbon build up, if you can clean them up that might give back some life to them and create a better seal. Or...run'er until she blows! then build a NEW one with the go-fast bits!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts