Honda D Series Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
EX spindles were purchased. I found a non-ABS set from a coupe at a junkyard in York, PA. They had axles attached, which I couldn’t remove on the yard, and one side had a UCA that I couldn’t break the ball joint off of, so I took the axles and the UCA. I chopped the axle nuts with a Dremel and pulled them free, then managed to get the UCA off. I took them to a local shop and had the hubs, bearings, and lower ball joints pressed out. I found another local guy who can media blast them, just need to find the time to drop them off. Once stripped, I’ll paint them and start rebuilding.
I ordered new front hubs/bearings, SKF units, that were expensive as fuck. Tomorrow I’m ordering a manual rack, Moog front UCAs, and new Raybestos semi-loaded calipers. I already have rotors, just need some pads and then when my back ordered HardRace stuff comes in, I can reassemble the front suspension. I have to take my wife to a wedding shower on Saturday and I’m smoking a pork shoulder, so I won’t get much done until Sunday.
I got the harness back in and the car starts/runs, but I threw a CEL immediately. IAT and secondary O2 were disconnected so that makes sense. Hopefully those are the only issues. Still haven’t even put fresh gas in.
I had purchased a new catalytic converter a few years back but when I bolted it up, the O2 sensor hits the shift linkage. So, I bought a Vibrant O2 bung and I’ll hopefully find somebody to weld that on at a better angle and then I’ll cap the original hole.
I found EX door harnesses at the junkyard as well. I depinned them and cleaned out all the grease. My plan is to drill the connectors out and run some 9-wire through, the end result being power mirrors and speakers in each door, but with manual locks/windows.
For the back suspension, I’ll be getting new SKF hubs/bearings, all new HardRace bushings (back ordered), and new Raybestos calipers. I already bought pads/rotors so that is covered and I’ll order Si parking brake cables from Honda. I have OG Skunk2 LCAs but would like to replace w/ something else, maybe HardRace. Car is still in Progress CSII setup.
Should be able to get the manual rack in soon, as I ordered a new steering joint from Honda, and I’ll top that off with HardRace tie rod ends that I ordered from JHP. Going w/ ES bushings. They’re only $10 and I’ll just be left w/ the rack bushing that I won’t need. Looked at Mugen set from King but it’s $110. Fuck. That.
Still debating on adding the Spoon hard collar kit. It’s like $220 or something. BLOX makes a kit too but meh, fuck BLOX.
Coming along nicely, will try to get some pics up soon for the 12 people that still visit this site.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
HardRace bush kit finally arrived! EX knuckles are painted and ready for HardRace ball joints, which arrived a few weeks ago. Dropping the front bits off tomorrow to have the ball joints, bushings, and hubs installed, and will get the studs pushed out of my hubs and replaced with ARP extended studs. I have Raybestos Element calipers ready to bolt on, along with new Raybestos rotors. Still need pads, will probably go w/ Hawk HPS. DX brake master cylinder has been replaced w/ new Honda 7/8” unit, Goodridge lines have been installed, and RTAs have been cleaned up and stripped. Still need rear calipers and hubs and to have the bushings installed. Have ARP stock length studs to press into the rear hubs. Brand new Progress CS2 kit will be here on Monday, and will be capped off w/ brand new OEM top hats that were ordered a few weeks back. Also ordered were new OEM Si parking brake cables but Hondapartsnow fucked up and didn’t ship them. Working to get that remedied ASAP. Still need a few random bolts from Honda and hub caps to close up the rear. Rotors will be Brembo blanks and pads are Centric or some other cheap replacement. I’m going to bleed the clutch while I’m at it, and fill with new fluid along w/ the brakes. Decided to keep the Skunk LCA and just get new bushings. I’m also eyeing an ASR brace, only because I removed my factory floor brace years ago. Will keep updating as I go. I’m taking pictures along the way, once I find a host I’ll dump them here.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I had originally bought my CSII using the Honda-Tech coupon code. I went with 350F/250R since they were on my sedan that was my daily. This time around (I still used the code), I went with 450F/550R, for drag racing. So what I actually did is put the old 350# back on the front and the new 450# out back. If it’s not enough for me (down the road), or too much on the street, I still have the other spring pairs so I can mix and match. They’re all 9” springs except for the 550# which are 8”, but I’ll worry about those later if I actually need them. Still don’t even have slicks or a traction bar yet.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Waiting on new top hat nuts from Majestic Honda, and Hondapartsnow is sending me two new 99-00 Si parking brake cables (no questions asked. This is the ONLY issue I’ve ever had with them after like 6 years of ordering parts and they’re making it right). I also ordered a new Full Race battery tie down, and new OEM tie down bolts/nuts from Majestic.

https://flic.kr/p/2iT1FhD I have a new tumblr to put here, and a new (unpainted) door handle, but I have to get it rekeyed first (I thought it would be cool to have no door locks back when I had an alarm/keyless entry, and it was, but the alarm has been pulled along with the actuators, so now I need a way to lock my doors AND get in my car, without going through the trunk).

https://flic.kr/p/2iSWi7A Boost gauge bulb changed to amber, along with the climate control. Looking for an A/C delete button if anybody has one. It’s a discontinued item, so I can’t buy it new.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
whats the coupon code and the site for the coils?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
I found a way to make my own service port jumper.
https://flic.kr/p/2iT1Fhi It’s the tweeter plug from an EX sedan.
Just need to solder the two wires together and I’ll be good to go. So if you’re junk yard shopping and you find a 96-00 EX, get yourself a tweeter plug. Probably is the same plug for 92-95 with the Acoustic Research system.

https://flic.kr/p/2iS8nxx I cleaned up my OG Skunk2 LCA. They don’t look so bad. Still have the old bushings, which really weren’t TOO bad to begin with. So now I’m torn. It’ll be like $75 to replace all the bushings, free if I can somehow talk Skunk2 into replacing them at no charge, or I can just bite the bullet and buy an ASR set. I could also buy a Moog pair and throw my HardRace bushings in. Either way,
I can’t reassemble the rear yet. And I’m also missing hubs/rear calipers.
I have a 5% RockAuto coupon though, so I’m looking at SKF hubs and reman Raybestos calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Slo
the coupon code is HT.CS2.2019 for the CSII kit. It brings the total down from $699.55 to $590.00. Shipping is still like $71. You can also use code HT.CS3.2019 if you want the CSIII kit, but I have no idea what MSRP/final price is for that. The website is progressauto.com

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
https://flic.kr/p/2iSVTjk This is how she sits as of Friday

https://flic.kr/p/2iS6Nri new door boots from an EX coupe. I used sedan door harnesses and chopped coupe body harnesses to hook up my power mirrors. I depinned both sides, cleaned all the dielectric grease, drilled holes, and then ran Install Bay 9 wire from the doors to the interior fuse box

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
https://flic.kr/p/2iTQH5f Parking brake lines and battery tie down came in. I dropped off my RTA yesterday to have the bushings pressed and it turns out I have DA RTA. So, a new set of bushings has been ordered. No ETA yet but my last order from Velocityshop took 3 months. Fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #115

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,051 Posts
You're going to love the HardRace bushings and the New CSII's. I would've went with the heavier springs 450/550 if the shocks are valved for them.

I run Fortune Auto 500's with 14k/8k springs on my wagon. Called them up, they valved and built them for me. She's just a 300+whp wago with a DOHC ZC and a GT28RS.

*for reference yours are 6k/8k, so we are the same in the rear, just worlds apart up front. And no, to answer your next question, it isn't harsh at all up front. Shocks are valved perfectly with a ton of adjustment, but they should be for what they cost. If I'd had the code you used back in November, I would've probably went with Progress instead of Fortune Auto, because the FA's are double the money

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
https://flic.kr/p/2iW76mU Got rid of the JDM coin pocket and went back to a stock vent. I need two blanks since I don’t have cruise or a dimmer switch. Off course they’re discontinued, so eBay it is.
I bought knockoff Spoon mirrors about ten years ago and finally wired them up. I found a power mirror switch at the junkyard but it’s excel charcoal so I’m on the hunt for a classy gray unit. I’m also on the hunt for the inner mirror covers to replace my manual versions.

https://flic.kr/p/2iWbqdc Covered up the dash bolt hole. I had a cover already but I had drilled a hole in it to mount the LED for my car alarm, which has been pulled.

Flushed my clutch line tonight. I had some brake fluid sitting around but I have no idea how old it is, so I’ll flush again when I do my brakes and fill with new fluid.

Front pads have been ordered, Hawk HP Plus. Going with the same out back and will order those soon. New Skunk2 LCA bushings have been ordered and an ASR subframe brace. Should get some more stuff done this weekend and have some more pics up soon.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I’ve been working on getting the HardRace bushings installed. I started with the toe arms and ran into some problems. I had purchased brand new Moog arms and punched out the bushings easily but could not get the HardRace bushings in. They seemed to be too big. I mic’ed them @ 1.2260” and mic’ed the Moog bushings @ 1.1835”
So I took a look at the original arms that I pulled off (thankfully hadn’t scrapped them yet). One looks to be aftermarket and the bushings mic’ed @ 1.2005” and the other arm looks to be OEM Honda and the bushings mic’ed @ 1.2120”
So I can either install the new Moogs or order new OEM Honda arms and swap the bushings. I haven’t looked at the front or rear UCA yet but I bought all new Moog parts so I’m betting I’ll run into the exact same issue with those. It’s cool though, I love spending money and waiting for parts to ship. MVA is still closed so no hope of getting a title or tags anytime soon so at least I’m not really wasting time.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #119

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
https://flic.kr/p/2iXK2jj Rear UCA bushings are in and the arms are in. Won’t torque down until everything all bolted up. Trans is filled. I used Honda MTF since I had two quarts that I bought probably eight years ago. One front knuckle is done, picking up the passenger side tomorrow. Front UCA bushings were pressed in but need to be seated a touch further apart before I can install.
New plug wires and Motul RBF 600 was ordered from Summit today. ASR brace and Skunk2 LCA bushings should be here tomorrow. Also ordered a clock delete plate from Gregparts on eBay. Stay tuned

101 - 120 of 138 Posts