Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I'm still trolling the interwebs for an exhaust. There is a JDM parts place in Chantilly so I was thinking of stopping by and seeing if I can pick up an EK4 or EK9 exhaust and put that on my sedan and swap the Invidia N1 over to the coupe.
I did some more stuff today. I swapped the GR-2/Tenzo setup from the coupe onto my sedan and put the Progress coilovers from my sedan onto the coupe.

Awhile back one of the bolts holding my passenger side upper control arm got stripped.

So I bought a new bolt from Honda and a tap set from Harbor Freight.

I got the hole threaded but halfway through, the tap handle broke.

Pretty much why I only use Harbor Freight for tools I'm only going to use once. Luckily the tap didn't break and I was able to get it all cleaned up. It started getting dark and my lonely little shop light wasn't a lot of help so I'll finish tomorrow. Just need to put the new bolt in and bolt the coilover up.
Making some good progress, but obviously it would be much faster with more free time and more money.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Okay so I got plates for the car but the registration expires at the end of July. I need to pass emissions and inspection before the 31st and then I can bounce over to the DMV and get registration stickers that are good for a full year. I swapped SRS control units and was able to clear the airbag light. I also ordered a Magnaflow universal cat and I have the Invidia exhaust that will be coming off of my sedan. So starting tomorrow I really need to get cracking on putting everything together.
And of course there is a snag. I found out my state does OBDII tests on 96+ cars so I can't just get a sniffer test. This sucks for me because I'm using an S300. The good news is that I have a 98 manual P2P ECU, a knock sensor, and my harness has already been converted for VTEC and a 2-wire IACV. So I need to pull the P28 and swap in the P2P but unfortunately that means adding the knock sensor, which is not fun at all, and somehow getting a secondary O2 sensor wired up. I think I may have a spare sensor laying around, but if not I'll need one ASAP. It sucks because I'll literally be at emissions for ten minutes and yet I have to do a bunch of wiring just to pass. I know my car would pass on rollers using an OBDI ECU but it'll show up as "not ready" which will automatically fail me. So many bullshit regulations.

Hopefully my next post here will be to proclaim my great success in getting registered and finally street legal after 3+ years in storage. Wish me luck. And if you're in the mid atlantic area and have an OEM O2 sensor, let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Thanks, I'll search around. I was kinda hoping I could just pin the ECU plug, plug in the sensor, and just leave it down by the kick panel. I don't see any reason it has to be actually sitting in the block, at least not for an OBD scan

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Thanks, I'll search around. I was kinda hoping I could just pin the ECU plug, plug in the sensor, and just leave it down by the kick panel. I don't see any reason it has to be actually sitting in the block, at least not for an OBD scan
Diy
Knock Sensor bypass | HondaSwap

It needs vibration so it can send a wave to the ecu.
I ousted mines to the fuel rail and it pass no problem.
I broke my oem one, then brought a $20 sensors from eBay which broke during install. Brought another one for $10. It works for a day or 2 then light pops back on.
So said f it and bypassed it.

And I think the pin is a13 or something for knock. Buy there is a pin out online to double check.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yeah I know it needs to pick up vibrations, but I figured with my car being gutted and running Innovative mounts I might have enough vibration inside, especially if I tape the sensor to the inside of the firewall. Either way I just ordered some ECU plugs so I can pin my harness for the sensor and also pin VTEC, which I currently have tapped into my jumper harness. I still need to go look for an O2 sensor, but I have an extension harness for that and I know my header has a secondary bung at the collector. I may need a non-fouler but hopefully I've got everything else I need to pass.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Update: I got the knock sensor installed (without taking the IM off) and wired up. I used an old RCA cable so the signal is shielded from the sensor to the pin at the ECU. I bought a non-fouler from Advanced and used a Password JDM extension harness to get my secondary O2 sensor hooked up. I'm using the bung on the header collector and it clears the axle with about a 1/2" of space. I got my exhaust welded up on Monday. It goes header to flex to 2" cat to Invidia N1 catback. I am currently running without my charcoal canister but I have the EVAP solenoid still plugged in and it's bolted to the fuel rail. I also have the solenoid from the canister plugged in but it's just zip tied out of the way for now. If need be I can take the canister out of my sedan and throw it in. I threw in a new set of plugs and swapped over to a P2P ECU. It started right up but I can hear it missing. Also, the header primaries on cylinder 3 and 4 are turning a nice purple color but the primaries on 1 and 2 are not changing color, so clearly something is up. I am throwing two CELs, codes 71 and 72 (random misfire cyl 1 and cyl 2). Tomorrow is the last day that my temporary registration is valid so I was hoping to go to emissions and inspection tomorrow but the car is still acting a fool. I have a spare dizzy that I'll try swapping out in the morning. The injectors are freshly rehabbed and when I pulled the plugs today I could smell raw fuel on number 2, so I know it's getting fuel. I also have my DD to take parts off of so I can try swapping plug wires as well. I also need to buy/rent a timing light tomorrow and set the ignition timing. Hopefully I can get it running good and log a quick 100 miles without any CELs and get my emissions done. After that I don't care if it throws a CEL. It should pass inspection. The only things I'm concerned about are the two front tires have low tread and I have HID bulbs installed with no high beams.
If I still can't get rid of the misfire after working on ignition and timing I guess I'll be doing a compression test.
Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I've been mulling over different plans in my head on how to get her back up and running. buy a Y8 locally, buy a Y7 locally, order a D15B, order a ZC, pull the motor and fix whatever is wrong with it, etc

but I think now is just the right time to dust off my Z6 and get going on building that. I've got a disassembled long block, new OEM oil pump, new OEM water pump, new OEM timing belt, a bunch of new gaskets and seals, Cometic HG, FJ rods, and 75.5 Vitaras. I need a dizzy, an oil pan, and new bearings to get it all together. so I think I'll shoot an email to Justice Racing up in Frederick and get an estimate for the bottom end build. I can either refresh the Z6 head or just jump all the way in and build that as well. I'd like to give PPorting a try but if a decent head comes up for sale here I may go that route instead.

I can break everything in and pass emissions on my P2P and then get started collecting parts for boost. I suppose I'll start a new build thread once I get going on the motor. I wasn't planning on starting the motor build right now but I've been sitting on these parts for too damn long anyway, so fuck it, it's time to get nasty.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I wish it was something simple like that. I threw in new plugs and swapped over plug wires from my DD plus a known working dizzy and still had the misfire. I pulled the number 2 plug wire while it was idling and there was no change, still idling like shit and sounding like a Subaru motor. Regardless, like I said, I've been sitting on this Z6 motor for too long anyway and the goal was always to build it and start making some serious power. So that is the plan for now. Hopefully everything works out.
I'm also planning on swapping the motor in my DD and I've been building two AR rifles, so I need to either work some overtime or prioritize my goals.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Best test for bad SP wires....

When its dark out... fire her up.

Get a water misting bottle filled with some soapy water and mist water over the SP wires while shes running.

If you see any arching they are bad.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
alright, time for an update. the car is back up and running. number 2 cylinder misfire was caused by some faulty injector wiring. knock sensor is installed the OEM way and the car is CEL free, but I ran into another issue. I have a non-fouler on my secondary O2 which is installed in the bung right before the downpipe flange. I need a bung installed post cat so I can pass emissions, since I failed visual inspection. So I'm working on that issue as we speak. I may just have a nice exhaust setup fabbed as I will have to keep going through emissions each year or two and I'll need a way to pass each time.

Also, my starter died. So rather than carry a hammer and a 3/8" extension in the car, I just decided to order this:

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I love new parts, no matter how big or small.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
That only works when I can park on a hill.

picked these up over the weekend (from a DSO member). i cleaned them up a bit and ordered new stems from 949 Racing. still need to order rubber some time this week.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Holy moly, it’s been a bit. I still have this car. It’s in my garage on jack stands. Still hasn’t been tagged or registered since I brought it out from AZ. I replaced the ignition switch so the car starts. I pulled the engine harness out, removed the power steering pressure switch wiring and added knock sensor and VTEC wiring (no more random wires running through the firewall) and pulled the secondary O2 into the cabin, punched out the plug, and installed an EX downstream O2 sensor to go along with an EX style cat. I bought a new dipstick, new battery to fuse box/starter wire harness, and new ground, all OEM Honda. I drained the old gas from the tank and buttoned it up with a new crush washer. I got an EVAP canister and valve from the recycler and installed that, then changed the oil and filter. I am switching to a manual steering rack, so I ordered a new steering joint B, spacer, and new grommet C (need to find a used grommet B since it’s discontinued). I ordered a full Hardrace bushing kit but it’s on backorder until March. That will get installed when I put in the manual rack and I’ll also be adding new tie rods, ball joints, and axles, as well as new pads and rotors. I’m contemplating grabbing used EX spindles from the junkyard this weekend (why not get those bigger rotors?!) Hope to pass safety inspection this spring/summer and then start acquiring parts to go turbo again. In 2023 the plan is to get street rod tags so I can kiss emissions testing goodbye. I have some new pics but don’t have a host yet. What’s everybody using now that photobucket sucks?

81 - 100 of 138 Posts