Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 665 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED 2/02/2011. NEW PICS ON PAGE 3
I finally got around to installing and tuning a budget turbo kit that had been collecting dust in the garage while I saved up some money. Here is the timeline of the car:
Bought 98 DX Coupe in October of 2005 w/ 60K on the clock
This picture was taken about a month or so after I bought it. It was lowered and I added a knockoff CTR grill, 99-00 taillights, and knockoff CTR headlights.

It was very slow progress but at least it was progress. This was some time near the end of 2006. I added a rear-disc conversion, thin side moldings, EK yellow fog lights, a knockoff CTR lip, tint, Rota wheels, and a few other little things here and there.

This was some time in early 2008, a few months before I did a mini-me and a transmission swap. I traded the Rotas for a set of Si wheels and then traded the Si wheels for a complete Y8 head. Good trade IMO other than the fact that I had to ride around on the stock steel wheels. I moved a few times and had to put the car on the back burner quite a few times. I was still running the Y7 and getting ~37 MPG. It was slow but if you remember, we had a crazy hike in gas prices so I wasn't complaining about that.

Then I had to keep putting the project off because I was planning a wedding and I changed jobs. Eventually, I got the mini-me swap done. I added ARP head studs, a 95 Si transmission, a Clutchmasters disc and PP, a Fidanza lightweight flywheel, and the Y8 head running on a stock P28 with an Xactdyno jumper harness. I ran a 16.9 at 89 MPH (IIRC) and was not super happy with the time.

This is how it sat after the mini-me swap. I added a CTR tower bar, AEM SRI, and did a little bit of weight reduction.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Then added Surewin header, AEM FPR, and LS throttle body. Unfortunately I never got a chance to take it to the track with this setup but I doubt it was that much faster.

I went through a few different sets of wheels along the way. I ditched the stock steel wheels for some old school BMW wheels. I still have these as my spare set of wheels. I want to powder coat them flat black one of these days.

I traded some turntables for a set of Rota GT3’s. I rocked them for a bit but got bored with them and traded them for more car parts.

The car parts I traded the Rota wheels for were traded for these GSR wheels with Falken Azenis tires. They are in good shape and they look different so I haven’t gotten bored with them, yet.

Well then I decided to just stop playing games and make some power so I bolted on the turbo kit. The kit consists of an Air Research snail from a Volvo (I don’t have the exact specs), a CC Fab manifold, Johnnyracecar front mount, Tuner Toys 450 cc injectors, an HKS BOV, a 3" downpipe, a TiAL 38mm wastegate, and a P28 running on Hondata S200.

I also decided to add a bigger radiator. I scooped one up from Greg at Go-Autoworks on Black Friday. I also got a slim fan but haven't put it on yet.

I ran open downpipe for about a week since I’m a ghetto bastard. But my neighbors were very unhappy because I leave and/or return home at very odd hours, so I added a full 3” exhaust with a Tsudo muffler.

So on Monday, I drove up to Locash Racing in Phoenix and got the Hondata tuned by Joe Sawyer (the guy in the picture). I hadn’t heard VTEC in about 2 weeks and I got tired of having an untuned car that I couldn't get on. I finally scraped together enough money to get the tuning done and though my wallet is lighter, I'm way happier with it. If you need a competent tuner in the Phoenix metro area, Joe is the man. His shop is pretty much right next door to Hasport in case you are ever in the vicinity.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And here is a short dyno pull. Locash uses a Dynapack and on this particular run I made 172 whp and 141 trq on 6 pounds of boost. I do not have a boost controller and for now I will just be running on the wastegate spring. Also, as you can see, I pulled the knockoff CTR lights for a set of OEM lights that I slightly modified. They will be getting cracked open again in the near future to add S2000 projectors.

The turbo kit was pieced together for just under $1,000. The mini-me was essentially free, since I traded some wheels to get it, and I scooped up the transmission a few years back for $100. I spent another $200 or so on a new HG, timing belt, the ARP studs, and various other little odds and ends. I know it's not the most budget of builds but it's really fun as it sits right now and I'm glad I did it without swapping to a B-Series.
Oh, and the car made 177 whp and 145 trq. I'm a little sad about the torque but it shreds tires like it's supposed to so it makes me smile and it's only on 6 pounds, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,946 Posts
Tell that "*****" of a tuner "fuck you Hlau!"

OG Locash will understand. old mIRC days on the "hybrid" channel.

Joe chipped my P28 of 12 years ago or so.

HYBRIDS HONDAS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

HLAU NEVER!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: bumpstick

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
I'd like to throw together a setup like that for my coupe, looks really good man. Any plans to up the boost anytime soon? Keep it up bro :bigok:

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The current long term plan is to find a Z6 to start a Vitara build with and eventually go with a bigger turbo. The short term plan is to add an LSD. I know I'll want to up the boost but this is my DD and I can't afford to blow it up lol

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
mIRC!!!! haha that is awesome

I used to love mIRC... I still like it better than MSN just because it's simple and not filled with a bunch of shit I don't need, even though I haven't used it in years

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
damn love the white blades got to love useable power from a simple homemadeturbo set-up im starting to miss my 14b.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
great progress man, sent ya a PM!
PM'ed back. Good to hear from you!

love it dude. good job. :)
Thank you sir!

damn love the white blades got to love useable power from a simple homemadeturbo set-up im starting to miss my 14b.
Yes it is definitely usable power. Merging on the highway is now a lot easier lol

Looks good and decent numbers for 6psi
Thank you sir!

Rep sent!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love the blades. Clean setup.
Thank you.

Car looks hot brother!
Im likeing everything you got going on with it. Not bad numbers either for 6psi.
Yeah, I wasn't super impressed with the torque, but like you said, it's only on 6 pounds.

He does awesome work... to bad he's got a huge head.
LMAO.

Great work :TU:

I too love the white blades (and I generally am not a fan of painted oe wheels)
Thanks man! I actually could not have done this without you lol.

Rep sent!

1 - 20 of 665 Posts