Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED 2/02/2011. NEW PICS ON PAGE 3
I finally got around to installing and tuning a budget turbo kit that had been collecting dust in the garage while I saved up some money. Here is the timeline of the car:
Bought 98 DX Coupe in October of 2005 w/ 60K on the clock
This picture was taken about a month or so after I bought it. It was lowered and I added a knockoff CTR grill, 99-00 taillights, and knockoff CTR headlights.

It was very slow progress but at least it was progress. This was some time near the end of 2006. I added a rear-disc conversion, thin side moldings, EK yellow fog lights, a knockoff CTR lip, tint, Rota wheels, and a few other little things here and there.

This was some time in early 2008, a few months before I did a mini-me and a transmission swap. I traded the Rotas for a set of Si wheels and then traded the Si wheels for a complete Y8 head. Good trade IMO other than the fact that I had to ride around on the stock steel wheels. I moved a few times and had to put the car on the back burner quite a few times. I was still running the Y7 and getting ~37 MPG. It was slow but if you remember, we had a crazy hike in gas prices so I wasn't complaining about that.

Then I had to keep putting the project off because I was planning a wedding and I changed jobs. Eventually, I got the mini-me swap done. I added ARP head studs, a 95 Si transmission, a Clutchmasters disc and PP, a Fidanza lightweight flywheel, and the Y8 head running on a stock P28 with an Xactdyno jumper harness. I ran a 16.9 at 89 MPH (IIRC) and was not super happy with the time.

This is how it sat after the mini-me swap. I added a CTR tower bar, AEM SRI, and did a little bit of weight reduction.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then added Surewin header, AEM FPR, and LS throttle body. Unfortunately I never got a chance to take it to the track with this setup but I doubt it was that much faster.

I went through a few different sets of wheels along the way. I ditched the stock steel wheels for some old school BMW wheels. I still have these as my spare set of wheels. I want to powder coat them flat black one of these days.

I traded some turntables for a set of Rota GT3’s. I rocked them for a bit but got bored with them and traded them for more car parts.

The car parts I traded the Rota wheels for were traded for these GSR wheels with Falken Azenis tires. They are in good shape and they look different so I haven’t gotten bored with them, yet.

Well then I decided to just stop playing games and make some power so I bolted on the turbo kit. The kit consists of an Air Research snail from a Volvo (I don’t have the exact specs), a CC Fab manifold, Johnnyracecar front mount, Tuner Toys 450 cc injectors, an HKS BOV, a 3" downpipe, a TiAL 38mm wastegate, and a P28 running on Hondata S200.

I also decided to add a bigger radiator. I scooped one up from Greg at Go-Autoworks on Black Friday. I also got a slim fan but haven't put it on yet.

I ran open downpipe for about a week since I’m a ghetto bastard. But my neighbors were very unhappy because I leave and/or return home at very odd hours, so I added a full 3” exhaust with a Tsudo muffler.

So on Monday, I drove up to Locash Racing in Phoenix and got the Hondata tuned by Joe Sawyer (the guy in the picture). I hadn’t heard VTEC in about 2 weeks and I got tired of having an untuned car that I couldn't get on. I finally scraped together enough money to get the tuning done and though my wallet is lighter, I'm way happier with it. If you need a competent tuner in the Phoenix metro area, Joe is the man. His shop is pretty much right next door to Hasport in case you are ever in the vicinity.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And here is a short dyno pull. Locash uses a Dynapack and on this particular run I made 172 whp and 141 trq on 6 pounds of boost. I do not have a boost controller and for now I will just be running on the wastegate spring. Also, as you can see, I pulled the knockoff CTR lights for a set of OEM lights that I slightly modified. They will be getting cracked open again in the near future to add S2000 projectors.

The turbo kit was pieced together for just under $1,000. The mini-me was essentially free, since I traded some wheels to get it, and I scooped up the transmission a few years back for $100. I spent another $200 or so on a new HG, timing belt, the ARP studs, and various other little odds and ends. I know it's not the most budget of builds but it's really fun as it sits right now and I'm glad I did it without swapping to a B-Series.
Oh, and the car made 177 whp and 145 trq. I'm a little sad about the torque but it shreds tires like it's supposed to so it makes me smile and it's only on 6 pounds, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,520 Posts
Tell that "nigga" of a tuner "fuck you Hlau!"

OG Locash will understand. old mIRC days on the "hybrid" channel.

Joe chipped my P28 of 12 years ago or so.

HYBRIDS HONDAS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

HLAU NEVER!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You made some good progress from the beginning. I really like the GSR wheel in white.
Yeah I kind of got into the whole JDM thing at first. I had planned on an LS turbo build so I never bothered with engine mods. But then I found DSO and that all changed!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

HLAU NEVER!!!!!!!!!
Next time I see him I will!

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
I'd like to throw together a setup like that for my coupe, looks really good man. Any plans to up the boost anytime soon? Keep it up bro :bigok:

Reactions: bumpstick

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The current long term plan is to find a Z6 to start a Vitara build with and eventually go with a bigger turbo. The short term plan is to add an LSD. I know I'll want to up the boost but this is my DD and I can't afford to blow it up lol

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
mIRC!!!! haha that is awesome

I used to love mIRC... I still like it better than MSN just because it's simple and not filled with a bunch of shit I don't need, even though I haven't used it in years

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
damn love the white blades got to love useable power from a simple homemadeturbo set-up im starting to miss my 14b.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great progress man, sent ya a PM!
PM'ed back. Good to hear from you!

love it dude. good job. :)
Thank you sir!

damn love the white blades got to love useable power from a simple homemadeturbo set-up im starting to miss my 14b.
Yes it is definitely usable power. Merging on the highway is now a lot easier lol

Looks good and decent numbers for 6psi
Thank you sir!

Rep sent!

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Car looks hot brother!
Im likeing everything you got going on with it. Not bad numbers either for 6psi.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts

HLAU NEVER!!!!!!!!!

He does awesome work... to bad he's got a huge head.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love the blades. Clean setup.
Thank you.

Car looks hot brother!
Im likeing everything you got going on with it. Not bad numbers either for 6psi.
Yeah, I wasn't super impressed with the torque, but like you said, it's only on 6 pounds.

He does awesome work... to bad he's got a huge head.
LMAO.

Great work :TU:

I too love the white blades (and I generally am not a fan of painted oe wheels)
Thanks man! I actually could not have done this without you lol.

Rep sent!

1 - 20 of 204 Posts