Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone, so im ready to continue the build and add the turbo, to my setup, but as iv asked for ppl's advice im hearing alot of different setups, so i thought y not ask the best.

so this is my current setup...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Head is a y8.
-Crower springs, valves and retainers
-Cam is a zex/comp 10300. (y8 version of the 59300)
-The head just received a stage 4 portjob by dustin at performance porting during the summer.

Breakdown of what was done at performance porting...
Cleaned
Porting intake
Porting/polishing exhaust and combustion
Gasket matching in/ex
Gasket surfaces smoothed
Re-cleaned
Head checked flatness
Link for reference. Under stage 4
Performance Porting Services

Y7 block.
-75mm Vitara pistons and Eagle H beams.
-OEM Honda bearings with ported
-shimmed oil pump.
-The bearing holes were slighty enlarged for better oiling at higher RPMs.

-intake mani is the edelbrok performer X.
-The throttle body is 74mm d-h racing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was asking a member and this is what he had to say...

"throttle body seems overkill. that setup needs a bigger turbo then what i have. i have a similar build but runing a 70mm tb, with a precision 5857bb and the 272-2 delta regrind.

something like that setup would push the ebay turbo to its max. you might need something like a real 57 trim."

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hope this isn't too much of a noob question.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what size turbo would u guys recommend for the setup of the block and head, sorry if i didnt make it clear but thats basically what it boils down to...

Im trying to put together the turbo all together to actually drop everything into the car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anywhere from 300-350, i dont think id want anymore then...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Learn how to read turbo maps. IDK how to do it. But obviously you want something that is going to spool early enough, but still make the peak power you want. Kind of a trade off sometimes. 6K and 600HP? 3K and 250HP? Something in the middle perhaps.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice so far, well since my car is a daily driver, i was thinking about having something towards mid/end since my driving is from 2-3k and rarly go past that.

but an ebay turbo kit is something i dont want as i was a reliable .

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
if u want 350whp max, get the smallest turbo that will efficiently make that power. then you get a nice fat power band.

what turbo would do that? hmmmm, id contact go-autoworks or rc-autoworks and see what they recommend. they do this shit for a living and if they weren't knowledgeable they wouldnt be in business anymore!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I ran the XSPower T3 for 5+ years. Not sure what the max power is for it. The only time it was dyno'd was at 4 PSI. Stock internals and minor tuning it make 149 WHP with 142 torque. You can pick them up from XSPower's web site for $225, and they will last longer than those cheap china turbos. Over the course of 5 years I had built the engine and was running 13 PSI. We called it instaboost. It spooled so fast.

You can go to Turbonetics website and find how to read Compressor Maps. It's quite simple once you know what you are looking at. It's as easy as understanding the colors of a stoplight.

The biggest problem with people and turbos is that they don't want to spend any money on the manifold, and they want more power and over spin the turbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts