Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, so I want to start building a crx up, but this would be the first time modding a car in california where we have the nice emissions law that everyone knows about.

assuming I do all the work (i'm mechanically inclined with a full shop minus a lift) and have the car professionally tuned in on a dyno, what are my hopes of passing the SMOG test?

i'm looking to get a 250-300hp "daily" driver with possibly a t3/t4 and beefed up internals. would the turbo be an automatic failure for not having a CARB number on it saying 50 state legal?

alternatively, I might be able to register it in arizona where my mother lives; but I'd rather not have to go through all that just to have a decently quick car...might just be easier to get an old datsun 260z and throw a 350ci chevy in there and not worry about SMOG laws thanks to being a "classic" car.

thx for any info

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
if it doesnt have a 50 state legal sticker or come with a certificate, you cant run it in cali...unless u take it to a smog guy that dont know anything about cars and you can tune your car to put out emmissions close to stock...if the guy knows what he's looking at then yes the turbo is an auto failure for visual

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
damn :(

i was worried about that...

so nobody in cali runs a non-carb turbo? i find that hard to believe unless they are getting smogged by their buddy or something and he just signs off on it.

another option, was for me to try to get it registered in arizona... my mother lives there and I might be able to make it "appear" that I live with her as far as the DMV is concerned...any suggestions on that?

edit: i checked out your car specs and from what I can tell; you're using the edelbrock turbo kit? if so, what kind of numbers are you getting at the wheels and did you leave it as it came in the packaging?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tibs said:
smog swap motor and turbo it for 2 years swap back and repeat
not only is that practical, but a very good idea :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts