Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 honda civic hatchback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting into the engine building part of hondas as a mainly ever built v8 motors. im not to familiar with the market with parts. does anyone have experience with building the d16z6 heads. so far i have a ported and polished head with shims on stock valves and springs. i am looking to go turbo when im done the motor, so i hope to use aftermarket springs and retainers instead as i am also looking into a cam with the build. im not very good at putting my thoughts into words but like i want to know what cams i should look at and spings and valves and stuff.
so far for the bottom end i just have SRP pistions with .8 over i think. also looking to see what rods you recomend. or if i should balence the crank for rpm. thx

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
What are your power goals for the engine?

I've been building Honda heads for a long time, and have recommendations. Cam will be determined by power goals and RPM range that you will want to make power in.

For rods, there are lots of options, but Manley or Eagle make decent enough H beams that will accomplish most goals. Again, we come back to what power level are you shooting for?

I also came from the V8 world long ago, and am still in that world, but also in this one.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Number one thing, as these engines age, the valve retainers are getting stressed, even in stock mildly driven engines. They used to hold up to nearly any rpm and power, but nowadays, tend to fail even on stock engines.

Id go for 2x sets of d16y8 intake springs if you want a mild upgrade, but honestly, Supertech makes a nice little valvetrain package that can support most of the mild camshaft upgrades.

After a mild cam, getting the oil system dialed in is critical. Many of the oil sandwich plates that folks use for feeding the turbo oil, are providing UNFILTERED oil. Use a braided hose and a T fitting and source it off the oil pressure sender. It is a dummy light for the dash, but you can repalce with an actual sender and hook up a gauge electronically, plus have fresh oil for the turbo. The braided hose is to get the weight off the threads and onto the firewall so a fitting doesnt crack under vibration and toss all your oil out the engine.

·
Registered
1992 honda civic hatchback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure what power i am going for yet. im gonna go turbo so i dont need much of a cam to crazy but i want a bit of rpm range. i still havent done calculatons of crank rotations to pressure so im not sure exacty what im gonna be doing for rpm until i find the compresion. im trying to stick around 250hp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts