Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 EX Coupe
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a 96 coupe that I recently built and broke.
here’s the build
Y7 block
Y8 head with fully built valve train
Vitara pistons bored to the first upsize I think it was 75.5 or 76 I can’t remember.
ACL race bearings
Hondata S200 ECU
AEM high flow fuel rail
AEM Y-band O2
Stock oil pump that’s been ported for higher oil flow
Gates racing timing belt
VMS adjustable timing gear
Edelbrock performer x intake
CX Racing turbo kit (10/10 do not recommend)
1000cc injectors but now have 440cc read post
GFchromly lightweight flywheel
stage 4 completion clutch
MFactory LSD
ok so lets get started. Got the car up and running and I don't think ill ever buy a CX kit again. We go for the first test drive and this was before I got a different MAP sensor to read higher boost so our max was 10 PSI. Hit boost one pull and the waste gate blew apart. So got a Turbonetics waste gate. Then the manifold cracked and failed completely with less than 200 miles. Then the turbo failed from oil starvation (didn't know to drill out the oil feed.) Then the blowoff failed absolute awful kit. Got the turbo system all buttoned up now and was trying to go to a big import meet that was a bit of a drive. Day before my tuner and I do some cleaning up with the tune and the cars running good. Go to drive for the meet made it about an hour in when the car started to develop a misfire and became hesitant with throttle response. drive another 30 minutes and the car is really misfiring running lean and not liking life, pull off and have my car towed back home come to find out I messed up big because I put LOW RESISTANCE injectors without a resistor box. ECU was done for but luckily the Hondata chip was ok just had to solder to new ECU. Because I was running low on cash because of all the problems the car had right off the bat I got 440CC injectors that were high resistance and the car was finally feeling really good. Drove for a couple days then we added two-step and bumped the limiter from 7200 to 8000 rpm. Following night I do a pull with some friends and right after the pull the engine starts knocking. Didn't even get a full 1000 miles on the build and now I have the engine back out of the car waiting to teardown. And the reason I believe its knocking is because I never gauged the rod bearings. First time building a motor and at least it didn't shoot a rod but hopefully to be back up soon with no more problems.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just to clarify, your turbo/bov/wastegate/manifold all failed before you got it tuned?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Ah, how sweet it is to learn the hard way :)

You have officially joined the club myself and others have been a part of for decades.

You know that saying? Cheap, fast, reliable. You can only pick 2.

Good news is, you will have a solid footing of experience for this next build. Don't feel bad, I blew my last engine up with less than 500 miles on it :) Hopefully the one going in tonight will fare better.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
1) you could have pieced together a better kit for less than the price of ebay.
2) why you driving it without a proper tune?
3) did you fix the crank bearing oiling holes to help with their oiling issues or just port the pump and hope?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts