Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i'm not sure if this is the correct section so if it's wrong could a mod just let me know or move it so i don't have a bunch of flaming going on. In a rough situation and need some advice if I could get some. This will be long but I would truly appreciate any response.

Around the end of Jan./ beginning of Feb. I bought a boosted 94 civic. Built block (stock sleeves) and all that good stuf blah blah.. Well it blew up on me 2 weeks later. Pulled the head (thought it was a blown headgasket by how it was running) Found a sleeves with small cracks. 3 Pi:(stons had peices missing from them. Rods were put on way to tight so they were trashed also (eagle rods). I had paid 4500 for the car with a loan. I had a decent job at the time and I really wanted a boosted D. It was my passion and something i've always wanted. So i busted my ass off for a month and a half at 60 hours weeks to pay a $3000 block turn key out the door done motor.

About 20 miles down the road I started experiencing the first of the problems they just HAPPEN to forget to tell me.... My speedo started going wack and it would not idle properly at all. I gave them a call up and he said "O yeah your vss is going out. started to do it on the dyno." Also the check engine light was coming on which he said was just for the VSS. So i said w/e thats a 20$ easy fix.

The next day I was pulling out of my drive way (after checking my oil and it was low so i added some in) and noticed massive amounts of oil. I drove it for about 2 days just adding oil till I could get it on a lift to look. Ended up being the oil return line. I paid my buddy $70 to fix that line and run over everything else to make sure those lines were good.. etc.. Come to find out the reason it wasn't idling right was the idle control valve wires were literally out of the back of the plug which was causing these weirds idle spikes. (it would just cut off on me after driving w/ no idle)

This is the 4th day i've had the car back from the shop- My car set up at my job for 5 days while I decided what to do with it. Thankfully my buddies shop was only a mile away and all down hill from work so my dad just pushed it with the jeep lol. Then i had it fixed same day and had it back the next day.

Over the following week and a half I was still experiencing oil leaks and the car just wasn't running properly. I emailed the guy several times about the problems I have been having and he said I quote " bring it on in when you can, I'll fix whatever needs to be fixed" The shop is 2.5 hours away from me so i couldn't exactly just get up and go because I had no ride home. Finally my dad had to take a day off work so we could go down there to have it fixed.

2 days prior to taking it down to the shop--- It started to smoke really bad when I would give it gas and let go it would just spit out hella smoke. I didn't know what it was. This isn't my first turbo car (owned a few eclipses and talons) but this is the first time I've seen something like this. My buddy (owns a performance shop now) told me it was having Blow-by. Well comes to find out this is 100% true. I let the shop know what was going down and he said once again bring it in and we'll get right on it!!

The travel day to the shop-- SUCKED. Besides ALLLLL the SMOKKKKKKKE coming out of my car my oil catch can started to smoke (nothing to do with him but still sucked lol smoke coming through the firewall) The 2.5 hour drive took me and my dad nearly 4 hours to get down there (stopping 20 min for supper). We stopped 6 times so I could add oil in the car. When we finally got down to the shop it was nighttime and his mechanic looked at it. He checked the oil and said it had oil in it (dad was right there with me). He said they will pull everything apart tomorrow (saturday) to start fixing what is going on with it.

Well the guy that put the motor together told me this a week or so prior to taking it down there. "I gap rings on stock sleeve engines a little looser than normal. That can result in more blowby, but releases the heat from the cylinders faster, thus cooling the stock sleeves."

I try calling for over a week with no answer (my car is with them). He avoids all my calls and emails with no response. Finally after 10 times in a row (have phone records) my dad calls 2 minutes after my last call and someone answers up there. He told my dad he was not going to fix it because I drove it for days without oil which caused this problem. Don't forget I spent nearly 150$ in oil in alil over 2 weeks. The car had nearly 4-5 different oil leaks on the way down there.. He told my dad that he will not be fixing anything because this is my fault, and that he said there was no oil in the car the next day he checked. (obviously I didn't fill it up with oil when i got there but it was above the lower dot. I have been trying to contact him for over a week now on what we are going to be doing and he will still not respond..

My question I guess to yall is. Do i have a case in small claims?? I don't have all the receipts from the $$ i put in oil (some are on my Credit card so those can get printed ) but others were just paid in cash. IS this shop responsible to fix the rings on the car after all this for free after he said several times he would???? He is refusing to fix and I dont have the $$ to fork out for problems they caused.

I appreciate anyone that took the time to read this and give me some direction to go in.

EDIT- To this day is the car is at the shop and I have no clue if its apart or together or anything. He won't answer me or my father anymore.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Well when you bought the car, and then you had the engine rebuilt was it from the same place? What's the name of this shop? They sound like idiots who don't know how to build an engine. I feel really bad for you man, if it was me I would probably be at the shop cussing them out. I say in the future find a better shop, or learn to build an engine yourself (it's not that hard and would save you thousands of dollars).

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
BBB is a good way to get things done. Also, some times a letter from an attorney does wonders, regardless of whether you do or don't have a case.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Okay OP, I need you re-state something more clearly. You purchased a boosted Honda and the motor that came with it blew up shortly after; and then you purchase ANOTHER motor that the shop built and had them install it in that same Honda? Is that right?

or...was it that you purchased a used vehicle from that shop (as-is) and the motor that blew in it you are telling them to fix it, that it is their fault?

Anyhow, please re-state the details more clearly. If infact it was option 1 here, if the shop built you a motor and installed it and there was issues with the motor after the fact...that is the shop's fault for not correctly assembling the motor and installing it.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
sounds like you got a boosted honda and it blow up? If so you might not have a case as boosted honda isnt a stock thing. Now if the car is still at his shop and he wont answer then you have a case with the police because its your car and you need to get it back.

Sorry this happen to you but the rule or thumb is dont buy a boosted non stock car. Always look at everything before making a buy. Its a used car and boosted no the less. Things can be wrong.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
honestly, the FIRST thing you should have done as soon as it started giving you problems is parked the car, called them and taken it back out to them for them to fix it. once you have someone else touch the vehicle most people will not warrenty any of their work because it was handled by another shop.

if you would have taken it back to them as soon as the problems started then you might have a case when it comes to the motor.. but since you had other people work on it outside of their shop its really hard to say you have anything because from all the court and the original shop is concered, where you took it could have caused the problems with your car.

if you want to, contact a lawyer and see what you can do... but in the long run you should have let them know first thing before anyone else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replacing a oil line didn't mess up this car. The fact that the rings were to loose is what is wrong. It is not the same place that first built the motor. I do know who built it but I am not giving out shop names or anything yet. I did not sign anything saying "As Is". The reason it was built down there is because that is where the tuner I like is. So when i went to replace the headgasket the head got pulled and saw all the damage and couldn't drive it. So i opted to just leave it down there and drive my mazda at the time and save up to fix it and have what I want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay OP, I need you re-state something more clearly. You purchased a boosted Honda and the motor that came with it blew up shortly after; and then you purchase ANOTHER motor that the shop built and had them install it in that same Honda? Is that right?

or...was it that you purchased a used vehicle from that shop (as-is) and the motor that blew in it you are telling them to fix it, that it is their fault?

Anyhow, please re-state the details more clearly. If infact it was option 1 here, if the shop built you a motor and installed it and there was issues with the motor after the fact...that is the shop's fault for not correctly assembling the motor and installing it.

Just my $.02
He told my dad I drove days without oil which is complete bs. I did not sign anything as-is.. He even stated to me he makes the rings loser than normal and obv it didn't work out this time.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
first lesson. dont buy someone elses projects!
second if your car is using oil like its going out of style dont drive it PERIOD. ride a bike or walk anything but drive it cause there obv a major issue.
hate to say it tho but your probably out of another motor. get it built at a reputable shop! you tell them the specs you want everything done! dont let them do what they think is right cause obv they didnt do it right.
and did i read you paid 3k for that block? fuck i think you got ripped. rcautoworks does vitara blocks for 1500. i think thats high but its a lot cheaper.
i just think you need to try and get stuff done by better people and think more about what your getting into. turbo hondas are a pain the ass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
first lesson. dont buy someone elses projects!
second if your car is using oil like its going out of style dont drive it PERIOD. ride a bike or walk anything but drive it cause there obv a major issue.
hate to say it tho but your probably out of another motor. get it built at a reputable shop! you tell them the specs you want everything done! dont let them do what they think is right cause obv they didnt do it right.
and did i read you paid 3k for that block? fuck i think you got ripped. rcautoworks does vitara blocks for 1500. i think thats high but its a lot cheaper.
i just think you need to try and get stuff done by better people and think more about what your getting into. turbo hondas are a pain the ass.
Well i thought it was a repped shop. I had cp pistons new block eagle rods erl block gaurd. I know its alot but i thought it would get done right there

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Well i thought it was a repped shop. I had cp pistons new block eagle rods erl block gaurd. I know its alot but i thought it would get done right there
i know how it is finding out how a shop really is when you think its a good place. so i feel your pain.
best thing id do if you wanna build another motor. find a old school engine building shop. some place thats been around for years. have then get you done right. then when its done get it retuned right away. do not drive it till its re tuned.
the shop thats put together my stuff for me is just some old ass shop where the builder is prolly 80yrs old. his son and his son work there and they also are one of the better sprint car racers around me. so they know how to build a motor that gets beat on. they build 90 percent of the dirt track car motors around me. the dont do any other honda motors other then mine and a buddies. but mine is great.
find something like that and you will be golden

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
performance engines do not have a warranty....

you have no case, which sucks, but this is the game we play.

a good friend of mine bought a complete forged 5.0 longblocks from DSS with aluminum heads etc, cost $5500.... 3000 miles later it was knocking and they wouldnt do anything... its the way this game works and if you want to play you gotta pay......

on a side note you can always just grab a stock d16 and boost it, you'll only be out a couple hundred bucks for the stock d16 and a couple hours labor....

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
performance engines do not have a warranty....

you have no case, which sucks, but this is the game we play.

a good friend of mine bought a complete forged 5.0 longblocks from DSS with aluminum heads etc, cost $5500.... 3000 miles later it was knocking and they wouldnt do anything... its the way this game works and if you want to play you gotta pay......

on a side note you can always just grab a stock d16 and boost it, you'll only be out a couple hundred bucks for the stock d16 and a couple hours labor....
This ^^^ you can grab a decent d16 and run 190-200 safely and dependably. Just swap over your turbo kit, and build your old block as you have time. And im sorry about what this shop has done. They sound like shit heads. Id put an ads on CL and the paper telling everyone what they did... Oh and call the cops get your ride back. before they charge you a holding fee. Oh and make its tuned very very GOOD!! A tune will make or break your ride.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
1st contact a lawyer none of us are.

2nd did you put your signature on a waiver? Most performance shops (smart ones) have you sign one performance stuff blow up hell stock stuff blows up. If you did not you may stand a change they will fight you tooth and nail. You may end up spending more in legal fees then you did on the motor.

3rd them holding your car is not legal.

4th you never mentioned a tune? running a little bit bigger end gap will burn some oil sounds like a broken ring land to me.

5th most performance shops are dicks and jimmy rig everything together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1st contact a lawyer none of us are.

2nd did you put your signature on a waiver? Most performance shops (smart ones) have you sign one performance stuff blow up hell stock stuff blows up. If you did not you may stand a change they will fight you tooth and nail. You may end up spending more in legal fees then you did on the motor.

3rd them holding your car is not legal.

4th you never mentioned a tune? running a little bit bigger end gap will burn some oil sounds like a broken ring land to me.

5th most performance shops are dicks and jimmy rig everything together.
It was tuned by them. Still can't get in touch. Just going to small claims court. Only takes $70 to file suite

·
Registered
967 Posts
I wanna cry I feel so bad for you.

When I build motors for people, I build them like they are going into my own car. I guess most people arnt like that, though.

If you do win the case, and you get your money back, listen to the guys on the forum. Its not hard to build an engine yourself, you just have to be willing to do it. And it saves you a ton of money.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts