Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will I have to do to get away with revving my 20psi boosted d-series to 8000rpms as a DD? Will have eagle rods/srp pistons in the bottom end.

I've searched but havn't found any results to my liking. I just wants to know whats required, machine work, whatever. Just help me out.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
What will I have to do to get away with revving my 20psi boosted d-series to 8000rpms as a DD? Will have eagle rods/srp pistons in the bottom end.

I've searched but havn't found any results to my liking. I just wants to know whats required, machine work, whatever. Just help me out.
the main thing you'll need is to make sure you get springs and retainers that can handle that rpm. I think stock are good to right around 8,000, but I'd upgrade to be safe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to get valvesprings and a cam. Are retainers necessary?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I'm currently running a stock valve train up to 7800. It's not like I'll hit that all the time, but when I do I have no such problems... But if anything, I'd just upgrade that cam (stage 1 only, anything higher and you'll need to upgrade springs too)and the retainers. Assuming just 8k revs. But if I had the $$$, I'd of course get the entire valvetrain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh huh, I'm just trying to get the most out of the t3/t4.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i would atleast upgrade springs and retainers to reduce valve float at those rpms. cam isnt necessary to make 400 hp. but it will help it be more efficient and make those numbers at lower boost levels.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i would atleast upgrade springs and retainers to reduce valve float at those rpms. cam isnt necessary to make 400 hp. but it will help it be more efficient and make those numbers at lower boost levels.
i know what valve float is, but how do you know when it happens? is there a sound that the valves and rocker arms make????

also, can valve float be catastropic to the motor?

just curious

thanks

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
drunkinmaster is making over 400 on the stock z6 head and revving it to 7800...
i plan on running a skunk2 cam which has huge lift, but small duration. Skunk2 says it is okay to use with stock valvetrain, would you go past 7200 with stock valvetrain?

thanks

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
IF I remember right, the Skunk2 cam is just a "stage I" cam... Usually those are fine to run with stock valvetrain. And if they say you can do it, I'm sure they tested it as such. At 7200, you should be fine...

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
i run my stage 3 exospeed with stock everything else in the head to 7800.. bout to see how it likes that with a side of 10 psi too lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
with that much boost id go the route of better safe then sorry if i were you, valves, springs, retainers and a good cam

im building mine up because the rev limiter gets hit every now and then in autox and i dont wana be f'in things up and im only boosting to 13lbs tops

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to find some cheaper ones. Right now I'm looking at $500 for valvetrain and that's not even with the cam.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i have the skunk2 valvetrain, and i've been well over 9k :)

when the head was stock i shifted at 8k all the time at 10 psi and it held up. but i'm a crazy asshole :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts