Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. well i live in California were the sunshines and the smog shit here sucks balls. Anyways, i have the d16y8 Civic ex. I want to start getting into the head soon. I know that the Stage 2-3 cams made by most are not smog legal, and as far as porting the head? would this make it not pass??? or changing out the retanines and springs..? i was also looking at rasing the compression in the engine, -changing rods beffer setup downlow. would the cripple it were it wouldnt pass smog tests. This state blows asshole, please help me as i want to build this thing, but not have it fail like crazy. input is more than welcome. Not sure if this has been posted before, but i find people here very knowledgable in there experenices. Thank you

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Any kind of PnP, valves, retainers and stuff should be fine - they aren't going to pull your head to check the visual. A stage 2 cam may make you fail the tailpipe test if they run one.

If I were you, I'd look into the Edelbrock turbo kit. Complete kit, + CARB legal. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
d16y8 + CA = tuners worst nightmare...

there are ways to beat the system, but IMO, they arent worth it...if you are going to put as much money as it seems you will be puting into your engine, theres no point in trying to keep it legal...if i were you i would have a back-up engine laying around for smog time...or you can find someone, pay him 50 bucks to false-smog and be on your way

D

·
0 Posts
I've often thought about running a tune that is lean enough to pass. Is there any logic in this?

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Just build it and swap in a stock motor for smog testing.

·
0 Posts
Ask ppl from your area what to do. My boss asked ppl at work and came up with a shop that apparently just passes everyone. One of the Mexican guys just told her to go to a certain shop. She didn't have to pay extra or anything. Then there are some ppl that will just sell you a sticker - you don't even have to go down there... I think those are sometimes if not always fake.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
never been in Cali, but I've never had issues passing smog check, even without a cat. convertor.

Called tuning, usually better gas mileage results along with more power output.

D15B7 with "stage 2" cam, passed as stock without a cat.....which I told them so they would fail me......only to bring the car back that day with the cat.....it passed ULEV standards....almost like a Insight :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
in cali they look to see if you have the cat.

what i would do is build your motor and all and when it comes time to smog just put in your stock cam and stock ecu and you should be fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts