Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I am in the Process of putting together the engine for my CRX. My first of many questions i will be asking is:

I am building my D16Z6 head, and am wondering if the following combination would be good for a turbo engine running vitara pistons?
D16Y-Z 1.6L SOHC VTEC TURBO VALVE SPRING SET
D16Y-Z 1.6L SOHC VTEC TI RETAINERS
VALVE SET(STOCK SIZE D-SERIES SOHC VTEC) - HIGH COMP
(all of the parts above are Skunk2)
I was told to buy High Comp Valves to make up for the low comp bottom end i am building so that the mid-range is still strong, otherwise it will be a dog until the turbo spools up. also, the valves are available in overbored sizes, is this something i should be interested in?

I am also interested in a cam that would improve the head combination even more but am unsure what cam i would need

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
dont waste money on valves
x2

unless you are shooting for UBER amounts of power (something like >400whp)...as for a cam, uh try a stage 2 TURBO cam...they have much higher life, with a shorter duration to decrease the amount of overlap...

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
How about a cam in there? Valves aren't uselss and especially if you get the flat bottom ones for that extra .2 pts of compression. Every little bit helps!

The missing cam and head porting are the biggest two players you'll wanna research for a boosted application...

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Stock Valves can hold up to the kind of stresses boost puts on them?
Yes, they can...but why put a brand new valvetrain in there with older, worn valves? Plus alot of aftermarket valves come with a nitrate coating to help with friction in the valve guide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
x2

unless you are shooting for UBER amounts of power (something like >400whp)...as for a cam, uh try a stage 2 TURBO cam...they have much higher life, with a shorter duration to decrease the amount of overlap...
I would like mid 300 whp.

For the bottom end am going with Vitara 75.5mm pistons and tuner toys rods and i will have the crank balanced of course

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
FAIL

stock honda heads are good for at least 300 hp. save the money and put it in the block...end of thread. and search next time.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Well, to be honest a stock head can function fine up through the 400s...
I was wondering when someone was gonna hit em in the head with the truth 400 you say:shocked: yes 400 all the head work and cam is gonna do is make it more easier to hit the goal

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Um...nice advice if i wanted 300hp, did you miss where i said mid 300whp???
your still failing. your lack of searching has netted you a neg rep from me.

stock heads are good for more then you are going to make, since you lack the knowledge to actually make a thread that gives enough info to make a "smart" decision by anyone here.

want a head combo: search! look into autoworks teal civic build thread.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
stock head is fine, but a ported head will help in spool time and your cam will make it more efficient. although stock pieces are more than fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess my next question should be, the correct stages to building a boosted engine?
1. the bottom end
2. the turbo set-up
3.?
4.?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
I guess my next question should be, the correct stages to building a boosted engine?
1. the bottom end
2. the turbo set-up
3.? Fuel System
4.?Tune

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
well i would still do it in my order instead of fuel system n tune before all...i mean i guess it doesnt matter, but i like havin everything installed before tunin jus to save time...but wut do i kno? i dont tune for shiit, jus let that mutha go til it blows! haa

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Well, what I'm doing is I've collected the parts needed for the head. I've got all the parts needed for the block and have selected a machine shop...but have yet (due to work) to deliver everything there. Once finished, I'll build the head and assemble the bottom and break them in together N/A. In the mean time I have a fun "new" motor to play with and can build up the parts inventory for the turbo kit. GL!

·
Registered
728 Posts
How about a cam in there? Valves aren't uselss and especially if you get the flat bottom ones for that extra .2 pts of compression. Every little bit helps!

The missing cam and head porting are the biggest two players you'll wanna research for a boosted application...
Using valves to raise compression is illogical.

It makes more sense to just mill a bit off the head or block, and use the lightest dished valves possible/practical.

Also, OP, your money would be better spent on quality head work (valve job/porting), and a cam. AFTER determining those purchases, you can consider whether or not spring and retainers will even be necessary for your build. I can't advise on valves, because I have never weighed the stockers vs. any aftermarket brands. I have a feeling stock valves will yield the best performance per dollar though. (If these points have been covered, I really don't care, not reading.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts