Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Next stage, preparations.
Towed the car from where it was, to my place. No workshop, just under the carport and the elements.
Some pics showing my environment to get this done, eventually.
Hot weather lately, means another delay...but can get something started.
I'm thinking removing the sub-frames, clean it all up and replace what needs replacing. The CV joints never made any clicking noises, so I'll just clean/grease/re-boot.
While sub-frame is out, suspension gets done, new rubbers, shocks etc.
Not out to break any speed records, been there done that...or wild cosmetics, but at least clean, roadworthy and a daily, for now. No hurry now as mentioned, have the other "twin" to herb around in, till it's turn. THAT might get some tricks...long way away though....

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
What on earth is going on there. What is that plank of wood doing? What happened to that driveshaft?! I hope you marked the orientation of the yoke in the inner shaft stub, if you put it in the wrong spot it's going to vibrate and be unpleasant.

Usually you'd pull the shafts out of the hubs and remove from the trans before hoisting the engine/trans so you don't risk damaging it or having the shafts separate like it has there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What on earth is going on there. What is that plank of wood doing? What happened to that driveshaft?! I hope you marked the orientation of the yoke in the inner shaft stub, if you put it in the wrong spot it's going to vibrate and be unpleasant.

Usually you'd pull the shafts out of the hubs and remove from the trans before hoisting the engine/trans so you don't risk damaging it or having the shafts separate like it has there.
Prior to removing the engine, it was under a workshop roof. I had minimal tools. The old engine was blown, con-rod 3 snapped and put 2 holes on each side of the block, and it kept going for another half a kilometer, and into that previous shed !

Minimal tools, just spanners, jack n a jack stands and a engine lifter.

The piece of wood laying across acts as something to tie up the exhaust and axles while it was being pushed out the previous shed, up a narrow driveway, and winched onto the tow truck.
The circumstances to move the car was unforseen, personal stuff happened, I simply had to move it.

yes, there is now extra work, and I'll figure out the axles before it all goes back in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I had another closer look at the drivers-side short axle. Fortunately it is hanging by a slither of the old rubber boot. I'll carefully remove it all without tearing the boot any further, line up the tear of the boot with the position it was, and mark it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Electric Fuel Pump conversion

I'm at the stage where I'm bolting on all the peripherals around the engine, finding the bolts etc etc.

One thing is missing, the frikin fuel pump, looked high and low.
However, I was thinking someday to convert from the standard mechanical carby fuel pump to electric.

In the past when electric carby pumps where chucked all over the place at the wreckers, just pick one up, test it, and did the job, ( 20 years ago ).
I used this when cars I had ran on LPG most of the time, would dry up the mechanical pump's diaphragm because petrol was not used as much.
Find out the hard way when run out of LPG, switch to petrol and nothing, diaphragm cracked up. ( taxis had this problem to back then )

What is a good enough electric fuel pump for the ED 1.5 twin carburetor ?

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dual carbs eh? I suppose the stockers are downdraft?
I've often wondered if anyone has fitted a pair of Webers or Dellortos to a d-series.
What are the stock carbs on these anyway?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well I just found them, was in the boot of the car still attached, but the other way round. Spun it over and there they were. ( was looking for that pump over a week, but there it was, hidden.

Took pics so ya can see, standard carby set of the same type motor I've re-built.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ha funny they look like KeiHins from a 1980's CB650 motorcycle.
Very cool that Honda opted to run dual carbs on these engines back then. Little better performance this way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ha funny they look like KeiHins from a 1980's CB650 motorcycle.
Very cool that Honda opted to run dual carbs on these engines back then. Little better performance this way.
Well I've driven both the manual and recently the auto on country runs, I feel safer overtaking on the highway with the manual. That 3rd gear just goes and in 4th safely overtook slow road hog snails. Maybe that is why it threw a rod :)

Anyway, got some pics showing where I'm at just loosely bolting on the peripherals, sorting out nuts n bolts.

Question here is:
The PCV valve and this rubber tube that goes down a canister on back of engine, what else can I use for a replacement ? Cos I don't think they sell spares of this.
I'm thinking some oil resistant tubing , anyone has done after-market replacement ?

The valve itself was jammed with oil and gunk, cleaned it up, works OK.

And just replacing some electrical tape, cleaning the oil and dirt.

Once I sort out the nuts n bolts, all comes off again, clean and paint. Then back on and wheel it out on a dolly, to the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Everything has come to a stall regarding the build / project.

I need now, ( lotto numbers ),
Clutch Kit
Axles / CV joints sorted
Front End bushes, all of them.
Shockers, front and rear
Spray cans of Black Engine enamel for brackets etc etc
Sort out plumbing for PCV issue, got most parts, ( customizing own idea )
Inlet manifold gasket
Hoses
Engine oils, filters, spark plugs,

And things I have not yet thought of.

ETA ? middle of 2020 if circumstances permit.

Once it's going and back on the road, then body work / paint job.
Tint windows, lower 1 inch, "sleeper exhaust", I want quiet.

Stereo, I want very loud no distortion.

hmm,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
UPDATE.

Nothing to update !

Everything has come to a complete standstill past few months, so eager to get started again, but got other stuff happening, I hope to resume by march 2020

However, a question that has been "bugging" me for a while,

Big End bearing shells:

On a normally aspirated engine, big end bearing are one type, on a turbo engine, big end bearings are of another type .

I am a bit of a lead footer, not hoon, but I don't like straddling, I DO hammer my cars, just a bit, sort of, "get out my way if ya under the speed limit" type of thing, but coolish. That is why I love my ED, ya can do that and not attract so much attention.

Point is, I put the dual carby engine load under some short burst of pressure at times, in fact, often.

Due to my habits, can turbo big end bearings go OK on a non turbo engine ?
If so, are there other considerations ?

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts