Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im building a d16y7 non vtec. i am planning to boost it. i just wanted some ideas. im looking at some wisco piston choices with eagle rods. i dont know what to do with the crank. i know im sleeveing it. dont know how big im gonna go. i saw some new number the other day. most are like 75.5mm but i say like 78.5 the other day. so i dont know. just looking for ideas. head is gonna be camed. im going bisimoto turbo race cam. so that kinda gives you some idea. now another thing with the head will supertech valves and srings. the whole head. will that hold up to what im looking for on my build or should i look for something a lil stronger. feel free to pm or anything. thanks guys questions will be answered asap.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
here some info to naw on:

y7 oiling system needs help...port and shim the oil pump or get a high pressure one
eagles and wiseco low comp pistons = STRONG
bisi is the best cam in the business (1.2, 2.4 or 3.6 for turbo) if you ask me.
supertech will get the job done on cylinder head internals
if you sleeve it go @ 75.5-77mm tops if you want to press it...email golden eagle
get a cometic headgasket to hold boost better...its added security
GO-autoworks for various parts (best in the biz for turbo D's imo)
ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
ARP main studs....seeing a pattern? :)
better clutch and trans to put it down
make it bullet proof.

good luck man...i love the y7. building a hi comp n/a myself. the y7 people on here are fun to chat with and learn from. take advantage. welcome to the D...search and learn as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
92 civic cx hatch
1,012 Posts
i had a sleeved boosted y7 in my hatch and its a stout motor when you build it right, look into oiling mods first thing

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well then ill be looking into that oil issue. that is a good plan for that i planned on APR for all of that.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
d16a6 is there way to go.

·
Formerly weebeastie
922 Posts
d16a6 is there way to go.
Agreed, d16a6 is the best way to go non-vtec. sell the y7, buy an a6.

I guess I'm biased a little though......good luck with your build.

How many Psi do you plan on boosting, what turbo?

Edit: Just saw the Nitrous bottle in your signature. If you're planning on using Nitrous, Bisimoto also offers a cam that is specifically setup for using Nitrous Oxide. It is a different grind from their Turbo grinds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
get a better intake manifold.. skunk 2?
or just a regular y8.. the y8 auto intake
manifold works if you dont want to
do vtec.. its iacv is a 3 plug
not like the manual ones..

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yeah ARP all the way around is the way to go.
if you solve the oil issues, get it sleeved + run forged bottom end internals you can boost it all day safely. you could build a monster.

another option: if youre going to run eagle rods (which are awesome in their own right) you could spend the extra 20 or so bucks to get bisimoto steel rods instead. they have additional oiling holes to the bearings and will definetly help in the oil starved y7. every little bit helps with boost. just an idea.

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turbo i havent decided and ill look into the a6. im looking to boost 20+lbs. intake was another thing i forgot. what is the difference between the y7 and the a6?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
y7/z6 heads = 34.6 cc combustion chamber
a6/b7 heads = 38.0 cc combustion chamber

i suppose air flow might be better in the a6, correct me if im wrong.
but the y7 flows just like a z6 which is "generally" regarded as one of the best flowing heads so i dont know.

the amount of air your head can flow is integral to high boost builds as it will help determine bigger horsepower gains. which is also why a y8 intake manifold, z6 intake manifold, skunk2, blox, etc is better than the stock y7 and important to replace.

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cant stand my y7 intake mani. it drives me crazy. well i think im gonna go with the blox intake mani. its not as expensive and it will do what i need. well a bigger combustion chamber is always better the more combustion.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yeah, personally i think it comes down to preference. the highest hp turbo builds i have personally seen featured are by bisimoto in the "war wagon" and in the speedfactory single cam drag car, both of which utilized the z6 block and head (again same flow as y7) so who really knows?

the guys running the a6 will tell you to use it
the guys running the y7 will tell you to use it
call it product loyalty :)
either way its non vtec and i applaud you for that choice.

·
Formerly weebeastie
922 Posts
y7 has oiling issues as previously stated. Thats really the only obvious advantage. A well ported A6 head though could make a difference. All depends on what you want to modifiy. Oiling or head ports. What car is this going into? That will also make a difference, so that it's easier to install.

As far as the Blox intake goes, please refer to my current thread in the Engine Building section about porting the blox intake and what it looks like on the inside in stock form. They don't flow all that great in stock form, but if you have someone cut it open and port it for you, then it will easily outflow many of the other intake options. In my opinion on 20 lbs, I say use a y8 auto manifold so its plug and play, unless you want to pay someone to "fix" the Blox for you.

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah well thank you i feel that where i am right now that someone needs to take down the DOHC guys out here. So this year is gonna be mine. Well i am gonna run a y7 so everyone knows. thanks for the info. i will take comments and suggestions about turbo selection and to answer the person that asked about the nitrous. no will not be running nitrous. imma leave that to a later day project like a GSX or EVO. but thank you all. please turbo decision would help so i can start to plan for custom headers or not. BTW for all to know. this car is getting fully rebuilt. suspension, steering, everything. so this is gonna be my full on project.

·
Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
265 Posts

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok well to what you said. it is going in to a 97' civic lx 4 door. so its gonna be a big car but i want the power to back it up. im looking to get probly more the 20 lbs of boost. like near 25-28 lbs......of boost. so kinda need everything to be as strong as possible. another thing is i need to know what to do to strengthen the crankshaft. please i need ideas.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
all d15 and d16 cranks are forged from the factory and can handle all u can throw at it...up to 700hp

bisimoto did 724 hp in fact with an AEM water meth kit on a z6 crank

point is you have a solid crank. u could have it nitrided or whatever but i dont really see the point. chamfer the oil holes for better flow. have it balanced with rods, pistons and flywheel.

cheers

·
Registered
97' Honda Civic LX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chamfer the oil holes? i get the for better flow but never heard that or know what that is. well then ill be good thank you. if anything i might just go and get the crank cleaned up so i can start with something clean and new. i saw that water meth motor. it was insane.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
im not a machinist but "chamfering" i think relates to basically porting out the oil holes of the crank slighlty so that once higher oil pressure is pushed through it, it can flow unrestricted. im sure you understand the benefits of that.

getting the crank micropolished isnt a bad idea but it isnt 100% necessary. obviously if you do that you will have to get new all new bearings and such...which was probably something you were going to do/should do anyhow. better to start fresh.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
To the OP.... don't. Go VTAK or go home.

:)

yeah, personally i think it comes down to preference. the highest hp turbo builds i have personally seen featured are by bisimoto in the "war wagon" and in the speedfactory single cam drag car, both of which utilized the z6 block and head (again same flow as y7) so who really knows?

the guys running the a6 will tell you to use it
the guys running the y7 will tell you to use it
call it product loyalty :)
either way its non vtec and i applaud you for that choice.
I run both, and prefer the A6.

EDIT: The Y7 head flows the same as a Z6 head? Since when?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts