Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning on building my Y8 for around 330-380whp, im trying to make this as reliable as possible since it would be nice to daily drive it, i work roughly 50 miles away, plans are...

head:
stock y8 (maybe a mild bisi cam)

block:
vitara's
eagle h-beams
acl bearings
arp studded top to bottom
block fill
oem head gasket

turbo setup:
ram horn style
16g turbo
3 inch piping
3 inch down pipe
880cc injectors

tuning:
hondata

thats the rough idea of the build keep it simple but reliable aswell, trans would be a SI with a good clutch not sure on what one but i wouldnt cheap out on that! any ideas of what else would be good for making it a daily driver to?

·
Registered
253 Posts
looks like a pretty solid setup. BUT forget about the block fill. that idea proved ineffective years ago and youre doing nothing but slowing coolant flow right where it's needed the most. also, if you were planning on using ARP main studs, don't worry about it. the stock bolts have been proven to over 600hp. plus i've heard that if you use them, you'll need to get the block align honed which can make things expensive.

as far as drivetrain issues, just avoid slicks or crazy launches and get a sprung clutch and you should be alright with the stock stuff. drivetrain mods can get VERY expensive (cmon, we're d-series here, we like things cheap right?) heh

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What fuel? 91 and vitara's may get away with 20psi. You should be able to hit 330 under 20. If its a dd try to keep boost and power a bit low. 330 is very fun.

Power, reliability and dd don't mix more often then not. Add fuel pump, better/modified oil pump if its the y8 block

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
just the thought is a failure "reliable Y8" lol

is this a DD?
do you have a spare Y8 laying around?

if yes to the first and no to the second, I would pick up a spare Z6 to build on the side while you drive around. That's what I did with my girls' build. I found a Z6 long block that needed some serious work for $150 but the work didn't matter since I am completely rebuilding it anyway.

·
Registered
233 Posts
blockfill def no-go
buddy ran 20+psi on 91 octane for 25k miles on a 57trim turbo at 300whp without much problem on the vitaras.

With a good tune you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
my best advice to anyone wanted to turbo there dd. DONT....
my dd was turbo for a few years. nothing but problems. never could trust it to leave town. left me stranded time to time.
idc if its built or not. it will break. then you will be out of a car to get you to work and the store ect...
get another car and then boost the living shit out of this car. i got a daily and then took my dd which was at 300whp. the one that fkenmustangs said about and went for the fun shit. car was at 475whp this year.
it just spun bearings which had nothing to do with being built yada yada. lost oil pressure. yours could do that at anytime. and guess what. i still got a car to get to work everyday.
im a firm believer of not having your DD all hopped up. only cause ive been in that position when my boosted dd broke. and broke again.

·
Pew Pew!
3,509 Posts
Maybe its because you guys are running high ass numbers for DD so thats why they are breaking. Come on DDing a 300whp car. sure its fun but is it practical? No...a 250whp DD, thats more streetable or even less.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Maybe its because you guys are running high ass numbers for DD so thats why they are breaking. Come on DDing a 300whp car. sure its fun but is it practical? No...a 250whp DD, thats more streetable or even less.
before that setup i my turbo dd was a complete stock motor with studs and greddy 15g setup on 10psi. made 176whp. and guess what. thats the only motor that daylighted the block. only motor i literally blew up. that turbo setup was on 3 seperate motors. all had issues of some sort.
just cause its making a lot less power dont mean it wont break or blow up.
when that car was stock besides i/h/e not one thing wrong with it. now my daily is a 96 civic. stock as shit. 178k on it doesnt burn or leak a drop of fluid.
if you can find me a turbo dd or even most race cars that dont leak oil from somewhere i would have a heart attack.

and for the record my dd at 300whp got 47mpg.

·
one grumpy old man
786 Posts
20psi? You sure the vitara's will hold that?

I know they hold 17-18psi, but I never head of them holding like 20psi.
my vitaras have seen over 30psi this year and motor is still together. 20 psi will be fine.for how long who knows.tuning tuning tuning.hahahaha

as for the clutch, just make sure you get a good pressure plate that will hold.

im going to see how shitty the xtd 6 puck with red pressure plate is in the next couple days.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
my vitaras have seen over 30psi this year and motor is still together. 20 psi will be fine.for how long who knows.tuning tuning tuning.hahahaha
mine were at 24psi for 25k.
and this year maybe 2k miles at 29-30psi. at much more power.

tunning is everything! but if so little as a vac line falls off the tune dont mean squat!

·
Registered
852 Posts
knock on wood my y8 has stayed together for the most part, made 235whp @ 7-8psi and DD the shit out of it. 9k miles boosted and I haven't put in the headstuds yet :p

It does burn some oil, doesn't leak much as far as I can tell. Oil drain bolt is wet but doesn't drip.

My tranny is making more sound than motor right now, when its cold the ISB whirrs

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
my best advice to anyone wanted to turbo there dd. DONT....
my dd was turbo for a few years. nothing but problems. never could trust it to leave town. left me stranded time to time.
idc if its built or not. it will break. then you will be out of a car to get you to work and the store ect...
get another car and then boost the living shit out of this car. i got a daily and then took my dd which was at 300whp. the one that fkenmustangs said about and went for the fun shit. car was at 475whp this year.
it just spun bearings which had nothing to do with being built yada yada. lost oil pressure. yours could do that at anytime. and guess what. i still got a car to get to work everyday.
im a firm believer of not having your DD all hopped up. only cause ive been in that position when my boosted dd broke. and broke again.
If you don't mind me asking, what were the issues with DD your boosted car? I've had my fair share of headaches with my n/a build.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
a 250whp street car is fun and can maintain traction for the most part....hell my first set-up was prolly 180ish whp, that thing ripped....get a ebc or duel stage boost controller, get tuned for your 350ish whp you want.....then you can easily turn it down for daily purposes or flip the switch when that asshat brostang duche comes flying up on you on the freeway

im in the middle of working out the bugs of a 400+whp fun in the sun kinda car, its like a corvette at this point i only take it out for the nice days, drive it to work, go to meets or cruises....and i trailer it to the track incase something breaks

but when you get a car to this point there is always something, little glitches and whatnot......think about it, very little under my hood came on the car and is supposed to be there, the more things you change the more potential issues that could arise

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
20psi? You sure the vitara's will hold that?

I know they hold 17-18psi, but I never head of them holding like 20psi.
24psi here, 408hp and 350ft/lbs 15k of red line miles and going strong. I did pull the motor not that long ago, but its only because I want to through it into my crx and run 10's.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what were the issues with DD your boosted car? I've had my fair share of headaches with my n/a build.
well the first setup for me i had a 15g. on stock motor.
problems were say. turbo going bad. the car smoking and going through oil.
HG's going bad every once in a while. always had a oil like from somewhere. such as the VC gasket pan gasket. never nothing terrible but it leaked. and made the motor dirty. also for some reason had 2 oil pump failures resulting in spun bearings in my only car. and last but not least. one night i got on it and a vac line blew off from the turbo to wastegate and boom. even hitting boost cut it still had time to make enough boost to break a rod and destroy everything.
and i had the same issues really with the 300whp setup with vitara bottom end. except for oil pump.
there is just always something.
im not saying its a bad idea to go turbo. im just saying its not the best idea to do it with your daily. specially if you commute 50 miles to work everyday.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
if you can find me a turbo dd or even most race cars that dont leak oil from somewhere i would have a heart attack.
I have one that doesn't leak oil.

Daily driver cars should never be heavily modified, epecially if they're your only way to work. One of us will be buying your car on the cheap when you need to get a reliable car for work in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I have one that doesn't leak oil.

Daily driver cars should never be heavily modified, epecially if they're your only way to work. One of us will be buying your car on the cheap when you need to get a reliable car for work in a hurry.
haha lemme see a engine bay pic! if your block has no oil on it i may shit a brick.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts