Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to purchase some parts for my build. I have a d16y7 block and a d15z1 head. I have the ECU from the guy who I got the head from. So I am trying to build it all from ground up. I want to start with the head but I dont know what size cam to buy, valves, spring, pretty much I am trying to rebuild it to get as much power as possible. So if you can help out there to help me so I know exactly what sizes to buy because everything I see is based on vehicle not the head.

I plan on sending my block off to get a bigger bore then I know I can go from there after getting new specs to order crank, bearings, , connecting rods, ect.

I am going to send Ecu off to get refurbished plus add a set up to put coil packs and cut out distributor.

I also have the tranny for the d16y7 which I plan on installing a lsd block .

I have already rebuilt the entire frame and suspension on my 97 de sol all the way down to every bushing. Pretty much my 97 de sol is like a brand new car except for my engine and tranny build.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a lot of the same questions, not sure if there is a good go-to book or other resource to learn these answers.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Why are you using the Z1 head? Fuel Eco build?

Why not use the Z6 or Y8 for the build?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Not sure if a dreamer or a troll.

Ditch the Z1 head, no cam/valves/springs made for it other than OEM.

Can't refurb/tune the ECU.

What is an LSD Block?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a little bit of a dreamer, orininally i was going to do a k20a2 swap but after such research i decided rebuild the motor I got. Right know my 97 de sol has a d16y7 set up no vtec and I got a d16y7 block a d15z1 head and the ecu. I know there wont be too much fab work iff I drop same size motor in my car then trying to get a k20a2(stock). I figured i would be better off rebuilding all internals with better performance parts plus boring the block to push more air. This would be my first build on a honda i am trying to learn and do it propper. I am going to start by rebuilding the d15z1 head but dont kbow what type of cam, valves, etc to put in. The head has been resurfaced, ported, and poshished to allow maximum flow. I need to know what to purchase as in a cam, valves, springs, etc

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
I am a little bit of a dreamer, orininally i was going to do a k20a2 swap but after such research i decided rebuild the motor I got. Right know my 97 de sol has a d16y7 set up no vtec and I got a d16y7 block a d15z1 head and the ecu. I know there wont be too much fab work iff I drop same size motor in my car then trying to get a k20a2(stock). I figured i would be better off rebuilding all internals with better performance parts plus boring the block to push more air. This would be my first build on a honda i am trying to learn and do it propper. I am going to start by rebuilding the d15z1 head but dont kbow what type of cam, valves, etc to put in. The head has been resurfaced, ported, and poshished to allow maximum flow. I need to know what to purchase as in a cam, valves, springs, etc
As stated, aftermarket parts do NOT exist. Also might wanna check on the tiny valve sizes...

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
how do you already have neg rep?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, i have been looking all over and found nothing. Everything I read says swap for z6 head.There is so much to learn in the honda game. I start leaning one direction thinking it would be a smart build then a little after i have to shoot somewhere else. Then what is the point of building or staying with a mini me set up. I know the block is pretty cut and dry but the head is driving me nuts. I have the z1 head now and want to start but have no clue where to start with it. All in the end it is going to be boosted with a t3/t4 turbo. I am just wanting the internals to handle the extra power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after doing some more research and finding out i got ripped off i was told i bought a d16y7 block but in fact i got a d15z1 block and head. So i just bought a d16y8 head ecu and gaskets. So i was hoping to build on seperate engine but nope i am going to continue to to search for a new block to do the right swap

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Quit trying to be a cheap ass at this buying unknown parts. Do a BUNCH of research first, we'll help.

While that Z1 bottom end can be made into something, the fact you never looked at the block stamp when buying means you have a bunch to learn WAY before starting any build.

Like a year or more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you sure it's a z1 block and head? Have you actually looked at the codes on the block or are you just going off of something somewhere else told you? Takes some pics of the block stamps if you can. I feel like you're running in circles here and you don't have the slightest clue what you're doing. You're on here for help so use the forum as the resource it is.... Read, read, read when you think you've figured it out.... Read again, I bet you learn something new over and over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts