Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im wanting to buy a fresh (well newer) d16z6 and build it. I am wanting to get around 160-170 whp on pump gas and for now no turbo. i may eventually turbo it but i want to get the engine setup to where it can comfortably handle what i throw at it for now.

my car has a d16z6 in it now but it has 287000 miles on it so i dont really wanna build it because it has so many miles on it and it is my daily driver

so basically my plan is to buy another motor set it to the side and gradually build it up so when my motor goes ill have a built one ready to put in it.

it is currently my daily driver and i am in no hurry considering i dont even have another motor yet,and as for money,ill spend around 1k-2k over time maybe a little more. any help would be appreciated just give me your input on what you think

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
hey, im wanting to buy a fresh (well newer) d16z6 and build it. I am wanting to get around 160-170 whp on pump gas and for now no turbo. i may eventually turbo it but i want to get the engine setup to where it can comfortably handle what i throw at it for now.

my car has a d16z6 in it now but it has 287000 miles on it so i dont really wanna build it because it has so many miles on it and it is my daily driver

so basically my plan is to buy another motor set it to the side and gradually build it up so when my motor goes ill have a built one ready to put in it.

it is currently my daily driver and i am in no hurry considering i dont even have another motor yet,and as for money,ill spend around 1k-2k over time maybe a little more. any help would be appreciated just give me your input on what you think

Grats on the high miles and welcome to DSO. Your gonna be told this 100 times...."Search"! All Motor D-series are not cheap and 160-170"whp" is a HUGE goal with a D16 N/A.
My build started off "budget" and turned into a ball park of $3k by the time I get done (but can be done cheaper) and still won't hit 150+whp.
Start reading build threads and dyno charts and study everything till you find what's right for you. Good Luck :bigok:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying and yea i figured someone would tell me to search more into it,but i looked and cant really find anything. i know its a bit high of a goal for a little low of a budget but i was just wanting to see if its do-able and what everyones suggestions would be. and to be honest ill probably end up going the turbo route and spending more than intended but for now i just want to know what would be the parts to change out for gains and reliability because i feel bad beating on my high mileage motor and i want to make a motor where i can be confident it can take a beating every once in a while.

·
Registered
85 Posts
thanks for replying and yea i figured someone would tell me to search more into it,but i looked and cant really find anything. i know its a bit high of a goal for a little low of a budget but i was just wanting to see if its do-able and what everyones suggestions would be. and to be honest ill probably end up going the turbo route and spending more than intended but for now i just want to know what would be the parts to change out for gains and reliability because i feel bad beating on my high mileage motor and i want to make a motor where i can be confident it can take a beating every once in a while.
With 1g and peicing your own turbo kit peice by peice you could easily hit that goal, N/A It WOULD BE almost Impossible.

·
Registered
HONDA CIVIC Z6
37 Posts
i would go cai, and maybe new intake mani skunk 2 etc.. and then an upgraded throttle body (b18) well.. not really upgraded just bigger and header are just a few things

·
Registered
HONDA CIVIC Z6
37 Posts
further more i would mill your head about .030 and get bigger cams and valve springs etc.. and also get it decked .010 to make sure its 100 percent flat, and get an exhaust set up, this will also help make your car breathe better, the standard to even start building an engine is ihe intake, header(s), exhaust

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
You aren't going to make that kind of power with a cheap budget.. Not to mention that some of the mods you may do now will end up being a waste and not useable when you would eventually go turbo.. You need to figure out exactly what you have to spend and what your goals are.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yea your gonna need more then that piggy bank to back them NA goals for the dinky D

I would just go with a simple E/H/I setup, mild port and polish head/intake mani, maybe alittle bigger injectors for alittle more fuel, maybe alittle head work, springs,valves, retainers and seals and finish it up with a cam/gear..but thats not gonna give you what you want.

no need to get a bigger TB at all! you do not need a bigger throttle body for a NA d series, exspecially them goal needs.

You could always just do a low boost setup on the stock z6 to achive them goals for 1000$ or under, you wont have to worry about shit poppin if you do a compressin and leak down test and all results come back good..stock z6 rods will handle up to 200-215whp and any thing over is getting alittle brave but it has been done, its all in the tune

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you everyone for all the replies,i bout shit a chicken when i seen 9 people replied overnight,haha

but yea im starting to realize that was a bit high of a goal to reach N/A so im thinking something different

maybe mildly build the motor and get a cheap turbo kit in the future
as well as i/h/e

how much does it usually cost for getting your head worked on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and what do you suggest doing parts wise to get parts for the motor that i can use without turbo and when/if i get it turboed eventually?

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is impossible ;] there is soooooooooooo much info on here, i cant emphasize that enough lol. ya jus gotta look harder, it'll take effort and time, but you'll be happy && knowledgeable in the end :yes:

Some advice i'd give tho .. is pretty much what everyone else says .. figure out your goals, cuz if you're really on a budget, all these 'future' plans are jus gonna waste your time and money. if you want the power, start piecing together a turbo now.. like everyone said NA will be expensive..

if you're jus lookin for a little more power at your feet right now, then i/h/e, cam, etc. is the way to go.. key word was little tho.
but if you wanna be serious nd not waste time and money .. be patient, dont get over-excited to make you car faster, save money and piece shit together and drop it in .. (i.e. turbo)
.. my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea im wanting more power now but i dont want to put money into my engine because it has so many miles on it.

i also dont want to stick money into building the motor up if im just gonna slap a turbo kit on it in a year or so.

im thinking about getting i/h/e for now and then i guess be patient like you said and overtime pick up some parts.

but if i did go the turbo route what do you recommend changing in the motor? i know people were saying a stock d16z6 can handle something like 8lbs on stock internals but i wanna be safe.

so what would you recommend getting? rods,pistons,valves and cam and not mess with machine work? then slap a turbo kit on it

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
gonna take race gas and some expensive manifolds to make 170whp happen.
Tell that to Rushi! :bigok:

OP, if your serious, look into Rushi's build. 170whp D16Z6.
Headwork and header will be the hardest part. But with community hookups you can probably make 170whp for less than $4000, easy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
well honestly .. if your gonna go the turbo route, start shoppin around for a motor and build that. stock internals can handle some boost, but if you dont wanna push it, then what you do wanna do IS build your engine lol.
if you jus want some cheap power for now .. do what you said, get i/h/e, but go with cheap i/h .. considering you wont need it when you turbo, dont wanna blow the money ;] lol. a stage 1 clutch may make you feel better too haha.
if you dont wanna mess with your high mileage motor then stick to bolt ons for now .. and like i said get another motor nd build. thats what im doin :bigok:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks man i appreciate your input

now just to do some research and figure what parts/brands to buy,haha
as well as where to get a cheap motor with low miles

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Depending on where you are, Junk Yards, Craiglist, and Honda-Classifieds.com will have engines the cheapest.

Stock D16 blocks are good to about 225whp, D15's are good to about 180-190whp. You can surely make more power, the bottom end isn't the limiting factor for making power. Problem is once you push the power too high, you either bend rods or break pistons. Stock head/cam is good for upwards of 400whp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow really? the heads good for 400,holy shit! haha

so what your saying is just get rods and pistons and turbo it? and it should be reliable

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
wow really? the heads good for 400,holy shit! haha

so what your saying is just get rods and pistons and turbo it? and it should be reliable
This is where your goals come in. 200-300hp, custom length rods and vitaras.
anything higher than that, eagle rods / forged pistons.

You can get some flat topped forged pistons, so your comp ratio is higher than stock, so you get more power n/a. Yet still have the ability to boost later on. Plus, the higher compression ratio will make more power per lbs of boost. But, as a downside to that, your tuning has to be dead on. Vitaras have lower compression, so your tuning doesn't have to be perfect. Vitaras can be pushed to 400 horses...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts