Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellas, I'm starting my D16z6 Vitara/FJTCL bottom end.
I have a new OEM honda oil pump .025 shimmed/Ported.
My question is, Should i be drilling out the oiling Holes on my bearings a bit bigger? ic people have drilled them out to match the block.. but is that cause mainly these people are using a Y crank with only one oiling port??because the Z6 crank i have has 2 oiling ports, so im thinking i might not have to go that far.. i would hate to have to drill out these nice looking machined bearings lol :-/ Also I have a set of D&J rock bearings AND a set of ACL race bearings .. comparing them side by side the oiling holes are the same size.. AND the oil groove on the D&J's are actually wider then the ACL race bearings.. kind of odd.. i figured the acls would have a better oiling design. Im gettin off track here lol im just wonder if i should drill these puppy's out or not? Please people only reply if you have actually done this or know someone that has... lol thanks guys :)
BTW im shooting for around 250 to 300 hp just to let u know. Maybe i might turn the boost up on track days .. hehehe Peace

·
Registered
80 Posts
modding the bearings isn't needed

i haven't seen any oil pressure increase from a ported oil pump to a ported/shimmed(.025"-.035" shim) oil pump

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ACL bearings suck.
i stand by that
iv gone into detail in other threads.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kool Thanks fellas

la_hondas shimming the pumps has been done for years and its tried and true.
What proof do u have that it does not bump up oil pressure? anyone else have some info on the subject?
As for the ACL's i have heard they do not last long at all. Ive decided to run the D&J Rock bearings for this build.. the quality of the D&J's look impressive.
What are your guy's thought's on running oversize rod bearings.. the rods are .020 under and .010 on the mains.. the machine work has been done by S & J engines.. a very reputable company and the crank looks flawless, they told me that for my turbo application i will be fine running undersized with Good D & J Tri- layer bearings.. but i have this funny feeling in the back of my head that i should not be running this crank because i had read about the hardening process honda does to the cranks a the factory and grinding the journals removes this material? but i cant find a good condition D16z6 crank ANYWHERE!!! this is why i had mine reground. Basicly,has anyone boosted a Undersized crank? and had good results with it? or bad results.. please only reply if u know what your talking about! lol thanks guys! off to the store to get some plastigage ! peace

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought this was a standard thing when doing a boosted D16z6 build. Can u tell me why not? it seems if i port it out witch has been done.. and dont shim it will loose pressure that the pump would of normally put out because the passages are not as pressurized? does this make any sense?? can u tell me a reason not to shim the pump.. and just dont say.. dont do it lol... i thought this was a good thing?! tried and true?? why has these links been up for years saying to shim the pumps because the D series motors have oiling issues... please tell me why in some sort of detail why to just port the pump and not shim it .025 as well.. i mean .025 is next to nothing. but it seems like that amount would make the spring in the oil pump a bit stiffer causing the pump to not bleed off as quick? anyone else on the subject?? please chime in! :) i wanna build this thing soon.. and take pics while i do it so ya'll can see lol :)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I've used acl race bearings, no problems, 8k redline, they were even damaged when I was tuning them motor due to too much ign. advance. AFAIK the motor is still running today. As for shimming the oil pump, I would just run a s2000 filter and call it a day. Unless you have accurate measuring tools, you won't know for sure how thick/thin your shim is.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wouldn't drill them. IMO I find it unnecessary. I've ran my built motor undrilled and no issues. Lots ofy buddies ran their setup undrilled also and no issues. These are all 250whp - 400whp setups. Heck I didn't even bother shimming my pump. If you drill it just leaves that chance you could screw up the bearings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kool Thanks fellas

la_hondas shimming the pumps has been done for years and its tried and true.
What proof do u have that it does not bump up oil pressure?
i have personal proof:wink:

i haven't seen any oil pressure difference from a stock oil pump ,ported oil pump or a ported and shimmed oil pump (my shim was about .030" thick)

all three pumps oil pressure read 75psi cold idle ,20psi warm idle ,35psi at 3k rpms and 75psi at 5+k rpms and thats with 10w30 and 20w50 oil

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
plus i havent seen people port a d16z6 oil pump, only the y8 to help aid in the oiling issue a y8 has...

this will also help oil pump for turbo engine

correct me if im wrong anyone

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Your not increasing oil pressure when you port the oil pump. Your increasing the flow of oil (and making it efficient).

I forget the exact reasoning for shimming an oil pump being bad, but why do you want to raise/lower the oil pressure (and why shim it when there's better options)?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K so i guess ima just run the D16z6 pump ported with no shim.. i makes sense what you guys are saying
as for the S2000 oil filter.. does it bolt right up?

also should i use a oil sandwich adapter? or just Use a T like this link for the turbo... seems like the sandwich is jsut another thing that could go wrong.. correct me if im wrong?

The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you can use whatever you want really. there have been times when SOME of the sandwich plates have leaked, but that was mainly the old school golden eagle ones. i normally just run T's because i just like them better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts