·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
wow. I'd be willing to split the cost of the plans with you makku. :)

Good thing i have about 20 thrift stores within a two-mile radius of my apartment. :lol:

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well, the instructions are a tad bit incomplete... but I think it's better that I learn how it really works and fill in the rest myself. He basically gives everything you need on the free page. :)

RIght now, I'm figuring out how the SCR thing works. What's killing me is figuring out what powers the gates on both of those SCRs.... if anybody wants to clue me in, I'm all ears. I've never taken an electronics class in my life so all I know is from fooling around with stuff and reading.

as for $400 for an arc welder... yeah, that's $400 I can't afford to shell out just to weld a few things. This way sounds more fun... the only expensive part seems like the SCR module for $50... and that's only because the guy bought a packaged unit. Do a quick search on ebay and you'll find people selling sets of SCRs for $10. Just need to figure out what rating I'd need.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thats cool and all, but you can buy Craftsman stick rod arc welders for like 110 bucks. I bought my Craftsman mig with four heat settings that is Flux or Mig capable for 240.00 off the sale rack. It welds up to 3/16's inch cold rolled. Cool idea but seems like too much work to save a little bit of money.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
You can also make a low yield nuclear device out of specific old microwaves
but you didnt hear that from me...;)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rotory20 said:
You can also make a low yield nuclear device out of specific old microwaves
but you didnt hear that from me...;)
impossible :TD: urban legend

otherwise, terrorists would have done it long, long ago

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vtecnitrocrx said:
Thats cool and all, but you can buy Craftsman stick rod arc welders for like 110 bucks. I bought my Craftsman mig with four heat settings that is Flux or Mig capable for 240.00 off the sale rack. It welds up to 3/16's inch cold rolled. Cool idea but seems like too much work to save a little bit of money.
$110? hmmm... I don't know much about welding... are those capable of welding stainless steel? That's a hot price...

·
Registered
531 Posts
To be honest, I would stay away from stick rod altogether. Thats just gonna be for really thick materials otherwise your gonna burn right through. You may be able to weld on some exhaust pipe if your goin slow, kind of like tacking stop and go style. MIG is truly practical and is the best altogether for cheap hobby welding. A mig that uses a standard house outlet, has 4 or more heat settings, and can use flux or mig is pretty damn good. Look to spend between 250-300 bucks there. You can get flux core only welders which use a minimum of .035 wire and on a low heat setting will weld 18 gauge without blowing through even on a continuous bead. Flux only welders I have seen have been as cheap as 150.00-199.00. The mig capable welders are a plus though because welding with argon is much cleaner plus being you don't need a flux core, weld wire can be thinner which means less heat transfer. You can weld pretty thin stuff with this. Plus MIG welders are capable of welding stainless, mild steel, or even aluminum with the right wire and gas. If you get the money together to buy a cheap mig it'll pay for itself within the year easily.

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic VTI
838 Posts
would u really wanna be putting your life in the hands of something that u made at home and wernt completly sure about.

this thing uses a high currnet (250amps) and a really high voltage (in excess of 4000v).

anything on it not made correctyl and ur toast literally.

ur better off looking for a cheap one as there will be one out there some where. its piece of mind and well they are made properly and tested and proven

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
makku said:
impossible :TD: urban legend

otherwise, terrorists would have done it long, long ago
Not really....it dosen't do that much damage and there are no after affects is why and its cheaper to get old nuclear material from
But It is possible...
you can do all kinds of things with other things...you just have to have an imgination and lots of time on your hands...(and some electronic and nuclear Know how...)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahah...

well, if anyone is still reading this thread... wondering what you think of building something really, really simple.

Car battery with two carbon rods... touch the rods and you get a spark that's pretty damn hot... well over most metal melting ranges. I know you could burn through stuff really easy with this, but would it do for a dirty-job welder?

konigcivic: thanks! excellent link... i did a google search but didn't come across something that specific.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds pretty damn dangerous if you ask me. I'd be ducking from flying acid or something. I think I'll stig with my MIG.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i saw it on PBS... bunch of scientists living in the wild doing some crazy shit. In this episode they were in New Zealand and they had the task of making gold jewelry from gold they got out of nature. Those guys found gold in a river, panned out enough of it, purified it (that was amazing), melted it into one big blob, and made a pendant and some earrings out of it.

They made a huge coal furnace to purify it with chemicals (fertilizer and ground glass), then melted the pure gold into one big blob with a car battery and some carbon rods. Wow... looked pretty safe to me. It took a few seconds too ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts