Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should have my car up and running next week, and it's time for me to start a build while i'm running the stock motor to death. i want the best bang for the buck, and a reliable setup. something i can boost pretty high and maybe a little spray for a better et. here's what i'm considering:

bottom end:
eagle rods
good low comp over bore piston (not sure which, maybe rollerwaves)
honda bearings
posted block
maybe the nuformz block guard
arp studs

head:
don't really want a hi rpm beast, due to reliablity
possibly leave the head stock, or upgrade the springs/retainers/valves to take more of a beating. probably stock cam, unless there's a badass cam i should look into

drivetrain:
obx lsd
maybe gator axles if i break the stockers
4 wheel disc brakes from civic si, powerslot rotors/hawk perf pads

what i have: right now the motor's (d16z6) stock. rebuilt head, 6 puck clutch, 3in kteller exhaust, 14b turbo hf main, 450cc correctinjects, cosmo fpr, working on a crome or uber tune...

and with all that, i'd like to run nitrous, depending on the tunability of it, just for when i hit the track. i don't want to just spray a 50 or 75 shot in there unless i've tuned for it.

besides some porting and polishing on the mani and turbo, any suggestions?

i don't want a 10k rpm beast, or anything too insane for the street, but i'd like something i can hit high 12s or low 13s on slicks, and drive when i feel like kickin some ass, but not 7 days a week, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week, for fun. any tips will be appreciated and repped

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
uhmmm
you might want just a bigger turbo in general..
12's and 13's on slicks? you can do that on street tires
if you build it right
but like i've said before if your wanting something fast your going to spend some $$$
no questions asked!

O

·
0 Posts
^ right how fast do you want to go depends on how much $ you ACTUALLY have to spend. dreams are dreams but if you can't ge the $ it's not worth it.

C

·
0 Posts
if you want a scarry street car take out the seat belts and take off the doors. ;)

just kidding.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
^^jeep style..olay..

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can upgrade 14b to 16, but i'm not sure how much bigger it really is. i could get a completely different turbo and mani, but is that what's going to make all the difference?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
and mad max the hell out of it..
duct tape everywhere

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
definately not trying to go fast for free, and i'm in no hurry, i just want to make progress..

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
9000_red said:
i can upgrade 14b to 16, but i'm not sure how much bigger it really is. i could get a completely different turbo and mani, but is that what's going to make all the difference?
yes it will make a huge difference..
effcientcy of a turbo makes power
like the difference is easy to explain
13psi out of my turbo and 13 out of your little 14b are completely differnt powers.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
www.cheapturbos.com

or if it dosent work out the deal on my old turbo then we can work something out..

if anyone can answer this question will a dseries turbo mani fit on the DOHC ZC motor?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
9000_red said:
so, i get a t3/t4 and a nice equal length mani...
dosent nessacarily have to be equal length...unless your going for high boost top out power

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so any cast mani w/ a good external wastegate location and a big ass trim turbo will be fine? what about the motor ideas, would i reach my goals with that setup?

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oscarmayer said:
^ right how fast do you want to go depends on how much $ you ACTUALLY have to spend. dreams are dreams but if you can't ge the $ it's not worth it.
i've saved up about 5k and counting... i should easily be able to do a good build for a reasonable amount of money. good parts aren't cheap, and i'm not broke, and i'm patient.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
well you can do what i was going to do
but i didnt i have something better

Engine
manley rods
arias pistons
75.5mm 10/1 cr
Sleeved block by rs machine
blanced out

HEAD
1mm OS exhaust valves
Crower stage 3 cam NA
Skunk2 valve springs
port flow port match
Edelbrock IM

FX500 clutch
LSD qualife
y8 tranny

There is a shop here than can build your motor and send it to you

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i plan on building it myself, but having it machined professionally. why the na cam and hi comp pistons?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
if you want reliable but still have power before boost kicks in
and if you look at all the built honda race engines
all are high compression high boost engines
its all about tuneing..
turbohonda99 is high CR high boost
fully built..

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I just got my 77mm sleeved 10:1 Rs machines block with a DSM Hybrid turbo (Turbo is a small 16g with the 10cm Hahn exhaust housing) out last week. THe 16g is a damn nice turbo... and your setup listed above should get you nice numbers. I hope to go to a dyno soon to see exactly what power I have, but all I know is that a small turbo that's run in it's effeciency range is a BLAST To drive.

I had forgotten my stiff wastegate spring at home so we did the first tune at 8psi. Since motor is brand new and I'm breaking it in (hard) I was only shifting at 6000-6300 rpm, but it was pulling super strong. My tuner said that at 8psi, it's probably making between 200-230hp to the wheels, and he's confident he'll make over 300whp on pump at 16-18psi. The nice thing about the DSM turbo and the 10:1 Comp is the boost response. Basically, whether in 2nd or 4th, when you step on it, you have boost right away.
The hahn 10cm housing is about 0.70A/R so it should pull fine to redline at high boost...
I'll keep you guys posted...
Btw - I did a compression test before tuning on the motor and I got 232, 217,217,223. I'm going to retest it now that I've put 150 miles on it... I'm still pretty happy as I built the motor myself.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
only 300 @16?...
ok you built it your self..

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
rotory20 said:
only 300 @16?...
ok you built it your self..
300hp on pump gas isn't bad... Smaller turbo means more torque down lown and a nice useable powerband... I didn't build a drag car, I built a fun and well balanced car. by the time a bigger turbo is starting to build boost, the smaller turbo will be fully spooled. Plus, when you map the demands of the engine, you find that bigger is not always better. (Look at the gt28rs vs gt30 thread on evans-tuning.com) 14b's have run 12's (Flow 420CFM, and 16g's flow 500cfm)

Yep, I built it myself. It's really nice to finish a project and have it running after spending so much time on it... Granted it takes longer and you get butterflies in your stomach when you first start it, and you hope you didn't make any mistakes, but the sense of accomplishment is great (My degree/profession is International business, not mechanics... My honda is my hobby)

14b is a fine and cheap turbo to get you in the mid 200's, and you can upgrade to 16g,18g or 20g very easily. The downside is that the 16g-20g are pretty expensive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts