Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the Honda world still. I picked up an 86 Prelude Si for stupid cheap about 4 months ago with an A20a3 that's just about had it and a few weeks ago bought another stupid cheap car that I thought I may use for a motor swap but found that the 2 don't go together very well. So now I'm stuck with a 97 civic HX with a d16y5 sitting in my yard. I don't want anything to do with the car, but I may be interested in building the engine for another project if it's even worth it.

It runs great with about 200k on it. No rattles or knocks. I just don't know if it's worth trying to build for a later project.

What would you guys recommend? Money isn't too much of an issue as cars are what a good majority of my money goes into anyways.

Pictures of said cars just because.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
328 Posts
What do you like to do with cars? Drag race? Roadtrips? Autocross?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Well, If money is no object..

Id sell off the civic.. Start working on the lude as these cars arent around much.

You get alot more brownie points restoring an 86 prelude over the run of the mill civic.

Sell off the civic, use that cash for a legit prelude build with engine swap, suspension, interior (if you can)

If interior pieces are hard to find and your interior is in bad shape, you can always rip it out, paint everything and make a track inspired build.

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
328 Posts
If money isn't a consideration he doesn't need to sell off anything, and the pedestrian civic could be a different flavor build in time if he ends up digging working on Hondas like I did. I was a v8 and rotary guy, now honda 4 life

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the civic definitely has to go somewhere else now. I just found and bought my great grandfathers old truck that I thought was gone forever.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I don't know much about the older preludes and what can/can't swap over. But I'd definitely give you more kudos for restoring that than seeing another 97 civic build (nothing against them, but they've been done). That being said. Does the truck run, and are you okay using it as a daily while you fix the prelude? I only ask because if you need a daily/MPG I'd keep the civic that's running nice over the about to tank 'lude.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
I had an 86 Prelude Si for 2 weeks before I got rear ended and it was bent in half. The fog lights had flip up covers on them too! The hood flips up from the back like a sports car. Coolest car I had for a while.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I had an 86 Prelude Si for 2 weeks before I got rear ended and it was bent in half. The fog lights had flip up covers on them too! The hood flips up from the back like a sports car. Coolest car I had for a while.
Hmmm that sounds nifty ... I miss my old Celica's flippy headlights.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know much about the older preludes and what can/can't swap over. But I'd definitely give you more kudos for restoring that than seeing another 97 civic build (nothing against them, but they've been done). That being said. Does the truck run, and are you okay using it as a daily while you fix the prelude? I only ask because if you need a daily/MPG I'd keep the civic that's running nice over the about to tank 'lude.
The civic runs decent, but at this point, it just needs to go somewhere. I got my great grandfathers 66 f100 that hasn't been on the road since 98 and it's my priority now once my house is done.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
both cars were cheap. Id love to see what the performance/economy mix of the d16y5 would do inside that prelude.

it would be a fun project to "update" the prelude to a more builder-friendly platform, whiel at same time making it very daily friendly. the y5 is a great little engine, and only gets better with a little compression bump from shaving the head a little bit, and simply having it tuned from someone

Then focusing on refreshing the prelude brakes and suspension would make it a really nice old car to drive

the d16y5 in stockish form will provide a cheap daily driver with no concerns, and will allow a nice reliable car while you focus on getting that beautiful truck up to whatever level you intend for it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts