Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered but wanted opinions with my set-up i'm going with. I just bought a 98 civic DX with the d16y7 engine in it, and I am wanting to turn it into a budget turbo car for the drag strip. I currently own an 02 s2000 but am new to the D series motors so i'm still learning. I don't want to deal with the y8 vtec head conversion right now since it's going to be a budget build for now. There is no real set amount to spend, just whatever I can get cheapest.

Here is my plan so far of what i'm going to do, it will be a custom setup.

t3t4 .57ar Turbo
Log Manifold
38mm wastegate
FMIC
Block Bored .020 over
Vitara 75.5 Pistons
Eagle Rods
DSM 440cc Injectors w/ Resistor Box
255lph Fuel Pump

and of course all of the oil lines and small things like that. So my question is what would be the cheapest, yet decent ECU or EMS I could get for it? I've been looking at Hondata s300 but I would have to get the OBDI ECU it looks like since I have an OBDII, and they apparently won't chip them. Also it looks pretty damn expensive to get the s300, OBDI ECU, Conversion Harness, and then a dyno tune. I want it to be decently reliable, but it will just be driven on the weekends and ran down the drag strip maybe 4 sessions a year. My buddy has almost the same setup in his D16 CRX and he sent his ECU to xenocron and had them chip it to his specs and ran pretty darn good. Would that be a good option to go with? Also what about a SAFC?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
do not use a SAFC, that is just a AF controller and you cannot take timing out with that program. boost+too much timing= blown motor. no matter what, you are going to have to do a conversion harness to OBD1 and get a OBD1 computer. if you dont want to spend the money on S300, then look into Neptune or ECtune. I personally dont like programs like Crome, Uberdata and Turboedit. i just find them cheap pos programs that are only good enough to run a basemap... but thats my personal opinion though

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
xenocron.com
moates.net
phearable.net

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I think i'll get the one from xenocron since they seem to have a really good rep. So like I said in my last post would that be everything I need before taking it to get dyno tuned? How exactly does the tuner hook up to it? Is there a cable or something I need to buy along with everything?

Thanks for the help everyone. This is helping me a ton already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts