Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to realize I've got enough spare parts to have a running B16 88-91 car, and I'm picking up a shell on a trade. In fact, I have my old cams from my autoX car, trading more parts for a full Skunk2 valve train, and an updated P30 intake manifold. Only thing I'll need is a flywheel, turbo and turbo accessories.

My initial plan was to get an HX35 and throw it on the stock motor for around 300whp then build a spare shortblock I have and try to turn it up as much as sleeves will hold. I think I can get the initial setup going for under $2K, trading work and CRX parts for most of the stuff I need (and having a friend build me custom manifold).

My main question is will the hx35 support 5-600whp? That's my endgame, with a sub 2000lb car. I have access to a GT35RS that needs a rebuild as well if it will make more power but it will likely be a pricey rebuild vs the Holset (again, have a hookup on a friend who can rebuild Holsets). It's been years since I've researched or tuned a turbo car, so I've forgot everything haha.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
The 7 blade hx35 will get you a little over 500whp, a gt35rs wont be easily rebuildable since garrett doesnt sell the BB rebuild kits.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The issue isn't the holset, but rather the b16. Worst motor to build for high hp drag car. Do a lsvtec if you want that kind of power

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 7 blade hx35 will get you a little over 500whp, a gt35rs wont be easily rebuildable since garrett doesnt sell the BB rebuild kits.
Good to know. Not trying to build a world beater just something fast on the cheap.

The issue isn't the holset, but rather the b16. Worst motor to build for high hp drag car. Do a lsvtec if you want that kind of power
Why's that? I'm not building a hugely fast car just something quick on a budget. If I wanted a silly fast car I wouldn't be putting 13:1 slugs in my 85mm GSR. If I can throw some rods and pistons in a spare block for under a grand I'll likely have less than 3K in a car that will run 11's

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
365 Posts
What do you want to do with it?

With your stated aim of 5-600 whp, won't you also need to factor in some sort of launch control? Even if your right foot is eminently controllable, you'll surely need some other help to be progressive.

Or is that simply the point of view of an old fart who grew up thinking Jaguars are quick? (And RWD!)

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
I went 11s on 284hp so it shouldnt take much to get into the 11s on a boosted b. If you want to help keep the price down just pick up a cast manifold and bolt the hx up to that. I would do the hx over the 35r because of the cheapness. Stock flywheel and a good clutch is a big help too. Eventually if you really want 5-600 you will probably have to go bigger like the 35r depending on model or a hx40. I see a lot of the big guys run a twin scroll on a t4 flange but I bet a non divided manifold would work great and go fast.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So I have personally ran a b16 boosted and my friend has. In that link posted it's clear to see they have their limits. Car runs 10.7 with 400 hp, and with well over 600, runs .6 faster. It's because the powerband of that 600 hp is so small. I had a 57 trim on mine and spooled it at 5500, and my friend had a hx35 on his, and he didn't hit full boost till almost 6500 rpm. If you build the head and balance the bottom end, take the car to 10k, great, go for it. But your tq level will still be significantly lower than a b18 block. If your goals is 11's, in a light chassis, you can do that on 400 hp pretty easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts