Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i have a d16z6 with about 150k on it, runs nice no knocks anything like that, but just to be safe i was going to do vitara piston and eagle rods, now i believe the normal bore is 75mm if im correct, so i was wondering if it would be reccomended to punch it out to 75.5mm or if i should keep at at stock bore, if the 75.5mm is reccomended how much could i expect for machining? and i have in mind a t25 to try and reach my goal of 225-250 WHP, is this the correct turbo for me? i have heard some good and bad on this turbo, some people say it spools fast and holds strong up top, other have said the opposite, any opinions on this? it will be a DD so i dont want too much force on the motor, now about the tune, i have been looking into wicked inovvations to send it to them to get my OBD1 p28 ecu chipped, now.. depending on what program my tuner wants to use, do i just send it in and get it chipped for that program, will i need anything else after that for tuning if i plan on having a professional dyno tune it? sorry im very confused on tuning mainly, any info will be appreciated. thanks ask questions if needed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The t25 is a good choice for a daily but would be working hard at your hp level. A t28 would do great. I noticed you said budget tho so I would look for t3 60 trim. Pretty plentiful and perform great.

The rest of your questions I am not the one to answer. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so you said a t28 wood work good..i did some searching and as far as budget goes the cheapest I could find was this Godspeed Universal Gt2876r T28 Turbo Charger ( No Wastegate):Amazon:Automotive ..not do sure on god speed and trim sizes to much but for my goals does this seen fine? And the lil extra for a turbo to reach my goal is fine. But as far as this goes what waste gate should I chose for my hp goals? Just a37 or a44 mm ?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
link doesnt work. i would suggest running 75.5mm bore, basicly because it will give you a fresh start again and take out any kind of wear that is existing on the cylinder walls from just normal wear and tear.

if you are wanting to do a vitara build, i would look into the FJT rods to get that higher deck hight so you dont have super duper low compression.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a turbonetics T3 used for a hundred bucks... so look around for deals. Im doing my turbo on a budget as well. only im going to stay with stock for now, and maybe later change the internals or buy a separate block to build. but all the research i have done on the turbonetics T3 I have read it seems to be perfect for our d16z6 motors... (if your wanting to stay within 200-275 hp)

·
Registered
764 Posts
The name T25 is really a poor job on Garrett's behalf. They did away with this when they came out with the GT series. I will explain:

T25 only represents the turbine size. In no way does it indicate the compressor which is what makes the power.

T28 does not represent the turbine at all. Actually the T28 has a T25 turbine and is paired with a T3 compressor. The T28 and T3 compressors are identical in size except the shaft diameter. The T3 is .250" and the T28 is .235". This is the only difference. Literally you can use the T3 comp covers on T28's.

Now the newer GT series is better.

The GT2560R broken down is: GT new series turbo 25 turbine size 60 the exducer size in millimeters. This still does not give you a clear cut indication of what the turbo can flow as that is based mostly off the inducer and that is not indicated. The R means ball bearings.

Now back to the T25. There is the T25 60 trim. The T25 55 trim. and also a T25 45 trim. There are actually two versions of the T25 60 trim. The difference is in the compressors exducer size as well as inducer size. The first uses identical specs to the new GT2252. It has a 52 mm exducer and will flow 25 lb min or good for 250 hp. The second is identical to the GT2554 which has a 54mm exducer and will flow about 28 lb min or around 280 hp. The first was used on the Twin turbo 300Z and single turbo 300Z as well as on the Saab. The second was used on the SR20DET and some other Nissans like the CA18DET.

The DSM T25 has a smaller sized turbine exducer and also uses the smaller 55 trim compressor that has the 52mm exducer. It is unlike any other GT turbo currently. I have the compressor map for it but I am not confident with it. The reason is that I have seen several cars exceed its rating and do so with decent results. They rate them at 21 lb min to 22 lb min or around 220hp. However I have seen them make 250hp before. This is really pushing one though.

Also the 76 in the GT line (wether GT2876, GT3076, etc) is actually their old T04S compressors. The 71 is their old T04B compressors.

I have actually put a GT2560 compressor in a the DSM T25. This takes machining and a lot of Know How but it makes a quick spooler and nasty top end for a daily.

I would stay away from the eBay stuff and that includes the Godspeed stuff. I would look for a used turbo online. Try eBay where you can return it if it is a dud. The OEM and Name Brand turbo's are just so much better. Trust me I have rebuilt a bunch and the quality is more then noticeable. The bearing play is less then half the thickness of a sheet of printing paper. You really have to have your shit on point or your really pissing in the wind. Also I would look for T28 personally. The 76 will not spool as fast and the Godspeed does not use a properly sized turbine.

Some of the K04 turbos are nice. The ones of the MazdaSpeed3, MazdaSpeed6, and CX-7 will flow 34lb min or enough to make 340hp. They should spool excellently and hold great even up to 20psi. Also they are the cheapest to rebuild and plentiful as well.

Sorry for the length.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Also I have made a couple DSM T25's with Nissan 300Z compressors. The 300Z compressors are cheap used (I can buy them for $8 plus shipping) and will make extra hp as well as not heat the charge up nearly as bad. It is rated from Garrett at over 30 more hp and takes only minor machining to make work.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Also I have made a couple DSM T25's with Nissan 300Z compressors. The 300Z compressors are cheap used (I can buy them for $8 plus shipping) and will make extra hp as well as not heat the charge up nearly as bad. It is rated from Garrett at over 30 more hp and takes only minor machining to make work.
+rep for you sir. excellent info. good to know as im in the market for a t25. didnt know there was three kinds. im assumin all the flanges are the same??

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nope. The DSM T25 uses a Mistubishi style flange and is unlike the others. It also uses the Mitsu exhaust outlet as well. If you are looking for one I would look for the SR20DET or CA18DET version but make sure not to get the ceramic turbine version. They are great if you keep the boost at stock levels but if you push it they will come unlamenated. So much to the point that the aftermarket makes turbines to specifically replace them. The RB26DETT in the early versions used these in their T28's so watch out for them as well.

The DSM T25 is not bad a turbo and makes for a great daily. For the Money you can not go wrong with the DSM as they can be had on the cheap. If it were me though I would look for the K04 I mentioned if you do not mind a little custom fab work (tho any competent shop should be able to do). Its only downfall is its flange's are not common place like the Garrett stuff. In a couple years that most likely will change as they are the most commonly used turbo by the OEM's nowadays. Also the 34 lb min it puts out is on par with a GT2560R and they made 350whp in the S15 in Japan (with appropiate mods). The K04 also uses 360 bearing from the factory and is dirt cheap to rebuild. Even cheaper then T3 line. Plus it is a fairly new turbo design. A lot of people fail to realise the Garrett T3 was first made for airplanes in the 1940's. It has been revised but damn that bitch is old.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It will work with the adapter however a lot of times you have to do a little grinding to get them work. Nothing major at all.

I don't want to get his thread side tracked. If you want you can PM me and I will answer your questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts