Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I may be interested in boosting my stock dohc zc. Completely on a budget, wont be more than 11psi, whatever the stock map can take or maybe the stock fuel pump would be the limit first.

I dont plan on sticking with the dohc zc long so I dont want to spend alot of money on it, this is more or less just a fun setup to get in before winter. What are some budget ways to manage fuel delivery and tuning? Staying OBD0 most likely.

Just trying to get the ball rolling on some ideas for this setup for now :rant2:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did read that. Im not a noob to boost, Ive had a few built A6 builds, but all were 20psi or a little more when money wasnt an object. but its been quite some time since I had a Crx so Im way out of the loop with my EF7. But that was not reliable, Im hoping to avoid a fuel pump, chipped ecu, injectors if possible. And keep this strictly budget

I actually forget the name of the original "stone age" way of getting fuel to the motor for low boost, but I remember it used to up the fuel pressure based on boost?? I forget what it was called. Something easy and cheap for this setup is what Im after.

I dont need a perfect tune, this setup wont be in the car but a few months.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Missing link, fmu. But why even boost it if it's not gonna the motor you're gonna use, save the money for what you're gonna run, or start buying parts for your future buil.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
you can chip an obd0 ecu by only taking out the orignal chip and soldering a socket in its place then buying a chip for 8$ i think the sockets are close to 8$ too.. and a chip burner is $80. so for under 100 dollars you can have a chipped obd0 ecu and a chip burner and then edit your ignition maps and fuel properly.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ assuming I have a chippable obd0 ecu, which I do not, and I would need injectors ontop of that. Not ruling out this option, but its definetely not $100

Why boost it?.... Why not!! Its stock and I will never build it. I have several fully built D16a6's that I will turn to next summer.

I just wanna have some CHEAP fun with the stock dohc zc right now.

Probably wont even intercool it to give an idea of the budget I wanna throw at this.

Just cheap fun

I will do a little research on the FMU, completely forgot of its existance lol

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont get all mad here guys, Im just asking for opinions on doing this CHEAP. I know we all love quality parts and perfect tuning. but its not really what Im after, and know I cant get that with the small budget I wanna do this with.

This whole setup is going to be disposed of in a few months, and Im not one to sell things or re-use them setup to setup

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I... Im hoping to avoid a fuel pump, chipped ecu, injectors if possible. And keep this strictly budget

I dont need a perfect tune, this setup wont be in the car but a few months.
Just swap the turbo on there and weld the wategate shut and have fun..

Really your asking for the motor to not last long. Thats just not smart. DO it right or dont do it at all.
If you plan to turbo the motor your be dropping in as a replacement. Then work around that motor so that you wont have to change to much to boost that one.

A FMu and missing link may work but your probably going to mess something up or go through a tank in a day.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Doing the same thing you are.
Heres what im doing.
Staying OBD0 tuning via turboedit
Upgraded the fuel pump
450 dsm injectors
7-10psi daily driven awd fun lol

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Egwhite has it right.

DSM 450s are dirt cheap.

Several guys here will sell you a chipped ECU for dirt cheap, and help you tune it.

Your chipped ECU will work on any other ODB0 D series engine.

The DOHC engine, especially when boosted, has more potential than the SOHC engines so why discount it other than monkey see monkey do type reasons. The only reason that more people build more SOHC engines is the price and availability of them.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Don't waste money on an FMU. Just get a pair of vice grips and clamp them down on the fuel return line, just hard enough to increase fuel pressure by say say 30%. If you want to save money by destroying engines, that should work as good as anything.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
No, not on an EFI system, however I have seen it done on a cooling water supply line on a machine and it actually worked OK.

·
Registered
431 Posts
vice grips? thats too much baller status!

just kink the return line and hold it in place with a zip tie,
be creative :ssst:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts