Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rebuilding my d16a6, on a really tight budget, i wanted to replace the rings and hone the cylinder walls, but i nearly shat myself when i priced out rings

can i hone the cylinders and reuse the rings i have? providing they don't look worn or broken?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Just look on ebay and get a set of pistons and rings for $100 for everything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i can't reuse them at all? i'm spending the 100 on arp headstuds, its just not in the budget...

maybe i would be better off not taking it apart at all?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't waste you money on the ARP studs.... You don't need them!!!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
If its a budget build why do you feel the need to waste money on ARP's right now??? You dont need them. A set of p29's or whatever kind of piston you are using for your setup. ARP's are useless unless you have high (really high) compression or high boost.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Cause stock rings from Honda are not cheap. You can get new pistons and rings for the same price. I bought p29's with rings for $100.00. Rings for the d16a6 are between $75.00-$100 for the dealer, depending on the mark up. He said budget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
high boost is the plan
i went to honda to price out piston ring sets, they were $40 bucks a set (canadian funds, at cost, i have a friend who works in parts) i have found a few ring sets on ebay, but nothing specifically for the a6, will rings for a z6 work? how about a d15b2?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Some people say yes and some say no. I know that when I ordered a new set for my 93 lx sedan, the dealer asked me if it was a Canadian or japanese car. He said they were different. And the one made in Japan was half the price of the Canadian ones. $40.00 is a great price. I would go for it.
Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was under the impression that all d16 rings would be the same, if not close enough to work

what are p29's? oem pistons out of ..?

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
You Can Buy For 165 On Ebay Npr Piston P29 , Rings , And Bearings For The Rods

·
Registered
15 Posts
'Budget build' would involve something like this:

http://importperformanceparts.net/imports/topekits-honda1.html

...and (like stated above) probably wouldn't include the words 'high boost'... unless you buy a few kits and do a few engines... but that throws the budget idea out the window- might as well put together something that will actually hold up, and spend the extra bucks to keep it that way...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i realized that was a bad idea, new rings are on the way...

this is a budget build, so im trying to spend the least amount of money, i do realize you get what you pay for. if this engine lasts a couple months i'll be happy, seeing as ive never rebuilt and engine before and figure i would practice on this one. if it blows the rings or throws a rod, big deal....d-series = disposable

never knew there were so many haters lurking around here :noway:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts