Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did some maintenance on my Civic (details in signature) and found that my driver side axle wasn't 100% in the tranny. So I thought I'd try to get it fully in. Undid it from the hub, pulled it out, gave it a few whacks with a rubber mallet.

It didn't go all the way in still (I suspect the circlip might have come off and is jammed in there), but this brown fluid was leaking out of the CV boot now. It didn't seem torn or anything, but it appeared to be leaking out of the edge of the boot as if the big metal band wasn't tight enough. I thought there was supposed to be grease in there, not fluid... The fluid has sprayed all over my exhaust and I think my subframe as well. Makes a burning rubber smell when I have the hot air on in the cabin.

Does anyone know what the heck this brown fluid is? I haven't been able to find any info, all the searches come up with is tranny fluid leaking, not this brown stuff. I assume a new metal band/clamp is in order?

From behind the intake manifold, looking down onto the subframe.

Underneath the car, looking at the exhaust, transmission on left and oil pan on the right. Notice the black residue from, I assume, the brown fluid burning.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
if it was not inserted fully into tranny, I would suspect the diff did not like that very much. also surprised you didnt lose all your tranny fluid.

I would not worry about the fluid or type. just grab a replacement boot, a couple of those pouches of synthetic CV joint grease at a partsstore, and throw them in.

Inspect the cv shaft end splines and make sure they did not get chewed up from not being installed 100%

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it was not inserted fully into tranny, I would suspect the diff did not like that very much. also surprised you didnt lose all your tranny fluid.

I would not worry about the fluid or type. just grab a replacement boot, a couple of those pouches of synthetic CV joint grease at a partsstore, and throw them in.

Inspect the cv shaft end splines and make sure they did not get chewed up from not being installed 100%
I did it pretty quick, so I didn't lose much fluid. I'll be sure to get another boot ASAP and check out the splines. I don't recall seeing chewed up splines, but I shall check again when I pull it out. So far, it drives just fine, I hope I haven't jinxed it now.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
dont remove the new boot from packaging until you have confirmed it is actually bad.

you might be able to simply use a bigass intake tube clamp and re seal it after leaning the joint and re-greasing it

It is also very possible you have a cv axle that was sprayed with anti-corrosion shit, and never actually greased. you might be lucky!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I thought I'd update. Turns out there was a small hole in the CV boot that was just big enough to spray my entire subframe, exhaust, and back of the engine with whatever that brown stuff was...

I originally got a Dorman Uni-Fit boot that was advertised as being for inboard, but it doesn't fit because it doesn't have the hex shape on the inside of it. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOT. Got an OEM one from Honda, put it on, and all is well with the world.

As for the axle going in, I figured out that if you have the gap in the snap ring pointed down, it just slides right in. Didn't seem to go in any further than I had it before, wondering if it's the seal in the tranny case that was the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts