Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 95 ex and put a greddy turbo kit on it. Two days later, it go boom. It has been a few months now so I don't remember exactly what the compression tested at before the install, but they were even across the board. I was wondering if this is normal. I didn't think it was but am kinda new to the whole boosted thing. Should've had it tuned right. I only ran 7psi and have the greddy fmu and stock injectors. The motor has a little less than 100,000 miles. Ran nothing but synthetic and generally take very good care of my vehicles. There is no compression in the first cylinder, the others are filled with oil(from where? what?). There is oil burning in the turbo when it starts and out the exhaust when driven. If the turbo seal was blown wouldn't it shoot oil through the piping? Also, before getting on it I hooked up a voltmeter to the oxygen sensor and put it under a load on the highway and it read .950 milivolts. As I understand this is what it should be. As soon as it hit boost it would jump to .950mv I am assuming because the fmu puts the injectors on overtime. Why did this happen to my beautiful car? And don't give me crap about tuning...I already learned that lesson. I am now a sad panda.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only 93, and 1 step colder ngk plug. i know a little. dont really know if the colder plug was called for. no timer but i always let it run a few minutes before shutdown.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i would say check you head gasket it may have gone bad but why are you useing stock injectors on the greddy kit it comes with 310's and the blue box in made to run 310's i thought??. but deffinently check headgasket to be sure the motor is blown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont remember changing injectors, but i didn't do all of the work. I only did about half. That, and I didn't get the kit new. Another lesson learned the hard way. I had gotten on it earlier in the day...twice like 4 or 5 hours before it blew. I was on the highway on my way home from work and I heard a backfire kinda noise but not exactly the same...you had to hear it. Then big clouds of smoke behind my car. I shut down as soon as possible to avoid further damage. It would still run but barely so I waited till the middle of the night and limped it the rest of the way on side roads. Probably not a good idea but thats me.

O

·
0 Posts
i'ld say you ran lean and broke the pistons. your certianly going to need a rebuild. the fueling you had was not enough to support 7psi. the fmu alone cannot safely support 7psi. so that's most likley why you blew it. sorry man, but your looking at another motor. it may be cheaper to reaplace it with a good uysed motor. I think they only run like $650 or so.

T

·
0 Posts
nukem said:
I bought a 95 ex and put a greddy turbo kit on it. Two days later, it go boom. It has been a few months now so I don't remember exactly what the compression tested at before the install, but they were even across the board. I was wondering if this is normal. I didn't think it was but am kinda new to the whole boosted thing. Should've had it tuned right. I only ran 7psi and have the greddy fmu and stock injectors. The motor has a little less than 100,000 miles. Ran nothing but synthetic and generally take very good care of my vehicles. There is no compression in the first cylinder, the others are filled with oil(from where? what?). There is oil burning in the turbo when it starts and out the exhaust when driven. If the turbo seal was blown wouldn't it shoot oil through the piping? Also, before getting on it I hooked up a voltmeter to the oxygen sensor and put it under a load on the highway and it read .950 milivolts. As I understand this is what it should be. As soon as it hit boost it would jump to .950mv I am assuming because the fmu puts the injectors on overtime. Why did this happen to my beautiful car? And don't give me crap about tuning...I already learned that lesson. I am now a sad panda.

Narrow band O2s are not for tuning, plus your voltage reading wouldn`t "jump" to .950mv...assuming you are in closed loop you should be seeing a voltage oscillation from low to high.

At WOT the ecu goes to open loop and reads from the fuel tables. The ".950mv" voltage reading you get would just be telling you that you are richer than 14.7...but not by how much, could be 14AFR or 9AFR...the narrowband doesn`t know exactly.

The narrowband O2 can ONLY read 14.7, anything higher or lower than stoic is a crap shoot.

All an FMU does is FORCE more fuel through the injectors by increasing fuel pressure...duty cycle does not change.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
If you're lucky it's just the headgasket.

I guess you'll see when the head is off, hopefully there wont be any holes in your pistons or chunks of ringlands in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed my kit and had almost exactly the same problem is your car on jack stands in the front lifted off the ground and the rear end still down cause i had my car sitting like that and ended up putting too much oil in it because i didnt get a accurate reading when i checked the oil cause it wasnt sitting flat try taking the car down off the jacks and check the oil and drain some out if any of this applies to you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just realized that this whole thread has been a waste of time. i should have just gotten off my ass and taken the head off. thanks for all the tips/advice.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
nukem said:
i just realized that this whole thread has been a waste of time. i should have just gotten off my ass and taken the head off. thanks for all the tips/advice.
You asked whY? People gave you there 2cents.. WHat more do you want???

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
not my forte but...

Well, it's not my forte, but I would say... stock injectors with the GReddy FMU???? doesn't the GReddy kit come with new injectors??? did u get the kit second hand?

O

·
0 Posts
he already stated he didn't care about what we have to say. not in so many words exaxtly, but simple enough to state he doesn't want to hear us becuase he already knows it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made my last statement because I should have just gotten off my ass and checked. I took all of your comments/suggestions into consideration but in the end i still have to take it all apart. I was trying to be lazy and once I read all the different diagnosis/comments/suggestions I realized two things. One, I need to take it apart. Two, I need tuning. You people are too sensitive.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Well next time I hope you will do it right.

You have an obd1 ecu. Theres no excuse not to get proper fuel managment. A set of larger injectors and getting you ECU chipped would be all it takes (for less I might add than the price of an FMU)

·
I
3,984 Posts
nukem said:
I made my last statement because I should have just gotten off my ass and checked. I took all of your comments/suggestions into consideration but in the end i still have to take it all apart. I was trying to be lazy and once I read all the different diagnosis/comments/suggestions I realized two things. One, I need to take it apart. Two, I need tuning. You people are too sensitive.

you started a d-series.org account for help right? we made suggestions to help you, and you said it yourself that you were just being lazy.. be UN-lazy, and take 45 minutes to disassemble your head.. find out what happend.. we cant just tell you exactly what needs to be done from a premature diagnosis.. take the shit apart, take pics, and then ask more questions..

O

·
0 Posts
nukem said:
I'm not being sensetitive, the way you typed it sounded liek you felt we were worthless.

maybe it was how it came across, but i get the feeling others felt the same.
good luck with it cause i somehow think your going to end up replacing something. Sorry it does suck, but chalk it up as a lesson learned about FI and proper tuning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts