Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that my clutch went out. Seems I have a little more work to do. Been out of town all week and ordered a clutch but it's obviously going to take a bit more to get me going.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,205 Posts
hope you weren't doing burn outs!

nothing worse than breaking your car at the scene of the crime :)

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just headed home. I am almost ready to drop the transmission and noticed this. It doesn't seem right to me. Looking at where the axleft goes into the transmission from the passenger side of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking in the hole, I saw that round shaft or sleeve. I wasnt sure it was supposed to look like that or if something was broke. The way the cv broke I had a feeling that something else might be messed up. That just shows my inexperience with all this. I have owned many manual cars but this is the first one I had to do a clutch job. After I dropped the Trans I could turn the input shaft and see that the output where the axles go in rotate, so I feel better.

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having a hard time getting the flywheel bolts to break. Is there a trick to doing this? Motor moves so much I can't really get a good pull on my wrench. I was debating on just cleaning up the fly wheel and bolting the exedy clutch and pressure plate but not sure if that is a bad idea. Need some advice and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
You have to use something or make something to keep the flywheel from spinning like putting a bolt wedged in so keep it from turning

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw that "special tool" in the manual. I could make something at work. I don't have steel around the house. Could I just keep the OEM flywheel tho?

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
to take flywheel bolts of, you can take one pressure plate bolt, and bolt it in the flywheel on its place, and put one transmission bolt in engine hosing. After use wrench to stop rotating the engine, like you see on the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
I saw that "special tool" in the manual. I could make something at work. I don't have steel around the house. Could I just keep the OEM flywheel tho?

Yes if you are just changing your clutch just clean the flywheel with brake cleaner and some clean paper towels and install the new clutch and flywheel

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I've seen impact and screw driver uses.
People put a bolt in the flywheel and use a jack or jack stand to hold the bolt and fly wheel in place.
Some have used the crank pulley tool (doesn't work that much).

But you can get the oem flywheel as long as it's not beat up to bad.

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will just clean up the oem fly wheel. I have been driving my project car around while I finish this up. That alone is another level of stress because I don't think everything works as it should. That's a topic for another thread or forum ;)

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
there's a million different ways to rig standard tools with a bolt to hold the flywheel. on my b18c I used a bolt in the crotch of a pair of vise grips

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Yes if you are just changing your clutch just clean the flywheel with brake cleaner and some clean paper towels and install the new clutch and flywheel

Um no. If there are grooves at all it needs ro be turned. If there are Hotspot then it needs to be turned. These aren't the brake rotors. He will have horrible clutch chatter if he installs it incorrectly. I hate seeing people who just throw on a new clutch without proper prep on the flywheel.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Um no. If there are grooves at all it needs ro be turned. If there are Hotspot then it needs to be turned. These aren't the brake rotors. He will have horrible clutch chatter if he installs it incorrectly. I hate seeing people who just throw on a new clutch without proper prep on the flywheel.

Yeah you are right. He hasn't given much info on the car. Doesn't seem like he wants much down time, and if it is just a stock daily car I would just throw it in. But to each his own

·
Registered
2000 civic ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for my lack of details on the car. It is all stock y8 with around 177 on the clock. As I was cleaning up my fly wheel last night I gave the piolet bearing inside it a few turns and noticed a little wear. So I used the wrench bolt tip and the flywheel bolts broke pretty easily. Thanks again for the tips. Are there any easy ways to get the transmission and engine to mate back up? I was thinking of buying some all thread, installing it in the block to help guide the transmission on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts