Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

A few weeks ago I made myself a breathertank for my upcoming 8PSI of boost on my D15B7. But after seeing a lot of pictures with special ANfittings on the valvecovers I started to doubt about my own creation.

My questions are:

is the stock valvecoverbreathing diameter big enough/good enough for my setup?

than i have the same question about the diameter of the stock hose which goes to the PCV. Is that big enought to lead it to my DIY-breather?

If not: does anyone know what kind of diameter would be oke?

greetings, and thanks in advance. Dick

my breather. the fittings are the kind which normally is used on hoses of pneumatic tools. (too small for the valvecoverbreathing i guess)

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
i went to the home depot and got some pretty big brass barbed fittings myself... i think 5/8ths....and the cheapest hose they had it was clear with a white thread cross pattern in it....was like $8 for a 10 foot section.....it was like a $15 total....i just ran one line fron the stock breather location on the valve cover and drilled in another and jb welded the brass fitting to the valve cover.....the black box i just ran a line to knowhere under the car and vent it to the wind :)

you can also easily find a filter that will fit over the top of that can without the weird fitting thing you got going on

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went to the home depot and got some pretty big brass barbed fittings myself... i think 5/8ths....and the cheapest hose they had it was clear with a white thread cross pattern in it....was like $8 for a 10 foot section.....it was like a $15 total....i just ran one line fron the stock breather location on the valve cover and drilled in another and jb welded the brass fitting to the valve cover.....the black box i just ran a line to knowhere under the car and vent it to the wind :)

you can also easily find a filter that will fit over the top of that can without the weird fitting thing you got going on
yeah, that would work for shure. but would the breather I have now be able to do the job?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oil consumption is equal to like zero.. it runs fine, doesn't smoke or something like that... so i'm not really afraid of that no. but how can I recognize too high pressures? only on leaking gasket's or smoking? or is there another way?

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Excessive crankcase pressure is going to force oil past the rings and/or valve seals resulting in smoking or you're going to see something like the dip stick pushing itself out.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
what you have there will WORK, but it wont work even close to as well as something designed better would work

its like a wooden wheel. it rolls. but it has a lot of short comings from todays rubber/steel wheel.

the smaller port diameters will increase velocity of escaping gas, which will promote the oil vapors and droplets in suspension to stay in suspension, carrying them out of the motor.

thats all good until you push out so much oil theres not enough left in the oil pan to lubricate your bearings.

ideally you want the largest diameter hose possible. or so the theory goes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
x2 Danz, larger diameter hose means less pressure for the escaping air/oil. You should be more concerned with your b7 rods making it to 8psi. That motor is not very good for boost, and to go over 5psi or so is pushing it. Many many people snap rods on 7/8psi that are running d15b7's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
x2 Danz, larger diameter hose means less pressure for the escaping air/oil. You should be more concerned with your b7 rods making it to 8psi. That motor is not very good for boost, and to go over 5psi or so is pushing it. Many many people snap rods on 7/8psi that are running d15b7's.
There are alot of people who ran their d15b7 with more then 180whp. Why do people always set limits to PSI not whp/trq there is so many turbos out there that make different power....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts