Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure whats going on with my setup.

Setup:
y8 motor stock.
sr20 t25 turbo.
410cc injectors
aem fic 6 tuning
ngk bkr7e gapped @ 30
-1deg pre lb

The problem:
normally in the daytime.
3rd gear 5k rpm n up, 10psi. Feels like its breaking up and the AFR starts to lean out goes into the like 12s. Then the boost bounces at 10 so like 10,9.5,10,9.5 etc.. I let off the gas when i see this.

Added more fuel @ 5k, 10psi n up. Doesnt seem to change much.

Now on the flip side.
4th gear it will boost and hold 10psi all the way to redline and keep an AFR of 11.6. Sometimes (normally at night) it will over boost a lil to 11 or 12

So is my spark blowing out?
Timing to retard for 3rd gear some how?
A garden gnome under the hood
Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
closed loop got you.

something to do with short term fuel trim.
Datalog anything above 0inhg is open loop. Fuel trims go out the window. Even tho i got fuel trims down to -/+ 1.

I'm gonna go with the garden gnome under the hood.
Thats what im thinking. 3rd will pull 9psi no problem but 10 its acts up stops me from going pass 5.2k rpm. 4th will run to redline smooth as ice tho, even trys.to make to 12psi

·
Registered
510 Posts
Will it hold 10psi to redline in 5th without breaking up? (just kidding)

have you tried lowering your plug gap to 25, just to see if it changes? Easy thing to try.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My guess is something in that piggy back is telling the ecu to cut fuel while in 3rd gear. The key to the whole problem is 3rd gear only so it has to be in the electronics. Or.............. possibly the garden gnome. Did you run one over lately?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will it hold 10psi to redline in 5th without breaking up? (just kidding)

have you tried lowering your plug gap to 25, just to see if it changes? Easy thing to try.
Lower then 30 it misses while out of boost. Weird i know.

My guess is something in that piggy back is telling the ecu to cut fuel while in 3rd gear. The key to the whole problem is 3rd gear only so it has to be in the electronics. Or.............. possibly the garden gnome. Did you run one over lately?
Ill try to get another 3rd gear data log and see whats going on. But last i remember is everything look the say as 4th gear.
Ill try a second gear pull also but its so damn quick.

And nah didnt run over a gnome. They are just weird n i believe they walk n move when we arent looking lol :p

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Theres one of two things happening, either your breaking up in third causes more load than second. ie; detonation. OR something is up with your tune.

Spark blow out would cause your AFR's to enrichen, so i doubt its that. You said at 5200 it bogs, Vtec cross over no good? Bad tune?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Theres one of two things happening, either your breaking up in third causes more load than second. ie; detonation. OR something is up with your tune.

Spark blow out would cause your AFR's to enrichen, so i doubt its that. You said at 5200 it bogs, Vtec cross over no good? Bad tune?
Only n 3rd ,10psi , 5k n up.
3rd gear, 9psi, redline is fine, but also to get that im at like 80-90% thottle.. Not full wot.
Ill check over the tune but what would i be looking for as 4th.does do.it and i dont believe 1st or 2nd did either.

*edit forgot to add that i have read somewhere that if your overly rich and the mixture doesnt spark that it could cause a lean reading on the gauge because the oxygen sensor sees all the oxygen that wasnt burnt. They dont detect fuel but oxygen.

Not saying what your saying is wrong but that just popped into my head. Since I was looking over my old tune and new tune and it looks like there is less fuel for 10psi on the first tune which was richer then this one.

idk im going to log some pulls today and see whats up.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might wanna check out you dizzy and make sure it dosent have a nome :)
Lol would hope not. Its brand new. Fired the old one right before the turbo went in. The spark plug wire pop off while running. So new dizzy, cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires the day before the turbo went on.

Im starting to think its something to do with gear correction.
Still gotta run it. Ill probably be able to around 2pm. Gotta finish up making this video first.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
interesting phenomenon indeed

What did the logging say?
Forgot the laptop on my trip today but will get one tonight. I did look at my tune and found out that i have two rows for 10psi.
There is a 10psi then a 10.1psi.
I remember i was going to try to make a fuel cut for 10psi. Long story short it didnt work as i would have like so i just copy n pasted 10psi to 10.1psi
But yea i did make a pull and 3rd gear when it hit 10psi it lean out to 12.0:1
4th gear hit 10psi and went to 12.0:1 (hung for a micro sec )then drop to 11.7:1

Now normally it does this kinda stuff in the day time. Maybe iat correction?

I fixed that row so ill try again and see what happens.

Stock MAP sensor?
Stock map sensor but the aem fic clamps the stock one at 0inhg.
Also all the maps are tuned with the aem fic onboard map sensor which will read up to 30psi.

Will make a run tonight 3rd and 4th and post what i get.
Hope the problem was just the 10 and 10.1 row but im betting its not.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Any compensations should be set to Zero while youre tuning.

I'd have to vote try a smaller plug gap also.

You like the FIC? Ive never heard from anyone who used one. They seam like a good deal, if they are actually as functional as they are advertised.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any compensations should be set to Zero while youre tuning.

I'd have to vote try a smaller plug gap also.

You like the FIC? Ive never heard from anyone who used one. They seam like a good deal, if they are actually as functional as they are advertised.
Yea i like the fic. Live tuning, dataloging, programgrable outputs, its great and i got cheaper then a rtp obd1 setup. The only problem i have with it is delay cranking timing. It takes like 3 more cranks to start because.it wont fire injectord till it gets a good crank signal. But no big deal everything elese works fine.

Now on the logging i pulled one and for some reason the datalog wb is off by around .5 from the wb gauge.

The gauge shows me 11.6 while im seeing 12 or 12.1 on the datalog
Even while sitting just key on im getting different readings.
So who do i trust???

And i did 3rd gear pull. The boost gauge needle bounced at 10, so 10,9,10,9 etc..
Wideband read 12.2
Now 4th gear pulled to 10psi and stayed put. Then went up a lil. Afr was 11.8 then when boost warning kick n 10.5psi the afr was 12:1

So maybe i dont have enough fuel ?
I added some more and on my drive home im going to check the afr. But should i tune off of the gauge or the datalog?

For some reason the datalog seems to be leaner then the wb is this normal?

the fic had a wg tablel since im using an aem wg ugeo.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
where is the location of your wideband? is it close to the exit of your exhaust? or are there any leaks before or close to it?

you should have a steady reading at idle before you start any tuning.

also what gear did you tune in?

last pull your plugs to see what they look like.

i've never had break up from a/f readings too lean, only too rich or detonation. and as beaver mentioned above, when detonating your wideband will read rich, not lean. it should go 10 flats or close.

also, did you tune boost fuel via % or by cells. if you tuned by cells and you only tuned the 9psi col then with more engine load it can cause it to spike and have too much fuel at a higher psi col. then when it misses, it drops back to 9 and keeps repeating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts